1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pipe opinions please.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Marker, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Yes.
    Check this out:
    http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-j1.html (Scroll down to Jarl)

Jorgen Larsen lives in a village of 600 people, Almind, Denmark- about 5 miles from Kolding, home of another famous Danish pipe maker, Kurt Balleby. Although the two men don't work together they occasionally share a bag of Corsican briar.
    Jorgen's history in pipe making is an interesting one in that, aside from creating one of the first high grade Danish brands (the Jorgen L) and his 30 odd year association with Peter Stokkebye, he was also technical director for both Stanwell and Kriswell (though not at the same time). A slow and resourceful worker Jorgen crafts only about 100 pipes each year, with 40% of the work he starts ending up in his fireplace.
    Jorgen uses only one color for all his work, as opposed to many pipe makers who use multiple stains. The reason behind this is that this one color most clearly shows the grain while also showing that there are no defects which have been covered up in any manner. In addition each Jorgen L pipe develops a beautiful patina as it is smoked, enhancing its beauty even further.

2. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Duh...my bad (thanks Spill for helpin' him out)

3. Marker

Marker Active Member

Ok, I smoked some Highland park in the lara last night to give it a quick whirl.

It took me a bit to light it because I didn't pack it well. Then it didn't stay lit for more than 5 minutes but again my issue. It was very enjoyable while I had it lit. A little tongue bite because I had to puff it to keep it alive at times.

I am going to keep running different tobacco through the lara until I find one I really enjoy and get more of the knack. Should probably buy a cob to break in my learning curve so I don't wreck either of these pipes.

Anyone up for selling a cob for me to break myself in? Or just suggest a good site to buy one.

4. Spillproof

Get your cobs from our friends/members here that sell them.
    Aristocob; he sells MM cheaper than MM does, and his shipping speeds are lightning fast. Plus he's nice. I ordered from him and MM on the same day; I have his pipes. Don't know where the MM shipment is, and it cost more ;-)
    http://aristocob.com/

Dgerwin11 does custom modified MM's. I have a few on order. Here are some examples, but he will make you whatever you want.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/cobcobbler

5. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

Hey Marker, I see you made it over here. Good advice from Spillproof on cobs. Don't let the look fool you, they are GOOD inexpensive smoking pipes. Love my cobs.

6. Marker

Marker Active Member

Going to get a couple aristocobs tomorrow unless someone here wants to sell a couple. Looked in the sales/trades and didn't see any cobbs being sold.

7. Spillproof

Oh just pull the trigger with Aristocob :csmile: . Best $20 you'll spend this week.

psquared likes this.
  8. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

Looks good. I bet if you put tobacco in them and light it you could even smoke them. :p:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.