1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pipe prices

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ozarksmoker, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozarksmoker

ozarksmoker Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Are shop prices resonable, higher, lower than shopping online. Like from an online store. I know i can find cheaper pricwd one on line, but most dont have the maker listed. So i dont know the quality of them. Is it "safer" quality wise to buy in person, even though there are reputable online shops.
    I have seen some online shops that have nice looking pipes for $10 or so. Others just list a style and price, and you get wjat ever they send you. Bargin? Getting screwed?
  2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Every store will be different, just like every eTailer will be different. I've seen deals and I've seen outrageously high prices on both fronts. You just have to determine what you are looking for and shop a little.

If you are shopping on line at places that don't list the brand, you might want to check out some more reputable places. There are plenty, but I've done business with: The Briary, SmokingPipes, Cup O' Joe's, 4noggins, Pipes and Cigars, to name a few. I'd buy from any of these places and feel comfortable that I'm getting what I'm paying for. Of course you can always call them with questions too.

For $10 I'd go with a Missouri Meerschaum cob. You can't beat the quality of the smoke in any price range. Not sure about the no-name $10 pipe. I would be leary about going for that without seeing it in person.

Another route you can go is to look for an estate pipe. One of our members, StrongIrish has a good reputation for selling estate pipes. You might send him an IM to see what he has.
  3. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Jul 15, 2011
    The only new $10 pipe I would trust is an MM cob. Next in line would be about $30 for a Dr Grabow. $50 or so will buy a decent Savinelli or similar. A new $10 briar pipe could possibly burn faster than your tobacco.
  4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Ditto on what dgerwin11 said. If I was wanting to get by on the cheap and I didn't want a cob I would buy a basket pipe at a local B & M. Also, BradNTX had a good idea about getting an estate pipe from StrongIrish. He refurbushes them and they would be as good as a new pipe.
  5. CarlHerrnstein

CarlHerrnstein Member

Nov 25, 2011
    I recommend a clay pipe they can be had for $10 or less, the smoke is cool and dry. They cannot burn out for obvious reasons they can be fire cleaned to remove all flavors and tobacco reside if you hate a type tobacco you have tried in it they have no flavor like a corn cob does and they also don't require a rest period between smokes.

They do get hot at the bowl so you have to hold it by the stem, they are fragile ish if you drop it then its dead, the style of them are very old.
  6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Star with MM Cobs.:puffy:
  7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Nov 26, 2011
    I would recommend you checkout www.wvsmokeshop.com this guy sells Grabow, Kaywoodie, Medico and Yellow-Bole pies at a pretty good price, he also has some imported Italy pipes, what you see, is what you get! He has a nice selection that won't break the bank, so take a few minutes and browse through his website.
    Whalehead King likes this.
  8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Pipes in your B&M will normally be a bit higher than from an on line shop....overhead raises its ugly head here. However, when you go to the B&M, you get to examine your pipe before buying....check the finish and engineering in person. This to me, compensates to some degree for the higher price. I buy from both, as the mood strikes me. I do however, try to buy from known and trusted dealers, be it on line or in person.
  9. RP McMurphy

RP McMurphy Member

Mar 27, 2011
    A $10 pipe is what it is. I myself would not buy a NEW $10 pipe. You get what you pay for as the saying goes. And I would NEVER buy ANYTHING site unseen. Not that I don't trust anyone but, I'm not going to give them the chance to be untrustworthy either.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.