1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pipe pricing at b&m's

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jayson H Bucy, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I'm starting to think I'm going to stop going to my local B&M. I bought a BC Jumbo straight billiard from them. It was my first pipe and I wanted a good one (well before finding PSF and learning about cobs). I then found out I didn't like straight pipes and that a jumbo bowl didn't fit into my current time allotment for smoking. I looked online to see what a reasonable trade in expectation would be based on current prices. I was floored. I paid almost double what I saw the same price for online in multiple stores. I feel like I just got robbed while they were smiling. This got me thinking and I looked up the other pipes I bought there and with the exception of one pipe it was the same thing.

I guess what I'm asking is do I need to buy new pipes online or is this B&M just greedy?

On the plus side they do have some really great tins and keep them in stock.

2. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

My local B & M is the opposite. They are competitive on pipe prices but their baccy tins cost double what I can buy them for on line. I wouldn't have any hard feelings toward them. Their overhead is much higher than an e-tailer's.

ruffinogold likes this.
  3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

B&M's are going to generally be higher in price than an e-tailer is for the simple fact that their overhead is going to be higher since commercial property in a mall or shopping center is going to be more than the same square footage in a warehouse, or office park. You also have to figure 90% of the B&M's out there don't sell over the internet,and thus don't have the volume of sales to allow them to order in the quantities they would need to get better prices from a distributor. In a business, it's all about two things either location or volume, if you're really lucky you have both, if you have neither, you won't be in business long.

Beale and ruffinogold like this.
  4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

The pipe was in your hands to inspect and or smoke before any etailor could possibly get that pipe into your hands! There's a price for "gotta have it quick" and conveniently now. If you want it cheaper, you'll have to wait a few days to a week or so.

Ed
    Puff

ruffinogold and Mark w4mms like this.
  5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

There is also a value in looking over a pipe closely before you buy it. With an e-tailer, the pipe you get might be only a bit better than a basket pipe because of fills, lousy grain, etc.

6. CustomDave

CustomDave Member

The two local B&M's that I go to are a bit higher on prices than an online retailer, but not too bad. I will pay a few extra bucks for my tins at the B&M, if for no other reason I enjoy going in an BSing with the people there. Plus both have very nice smoking lounges with big TV's and leather couches, so it is a nice place to sit and relax with the other smokers (most are cigar smokers). A lot of the time I will order pipes online though, mostly because there is a better selection online. One of the local B&Ms has a decent selection of pipes, the other not so much. I buy my cobs through them however.

7. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Most the locals in my area are double and triple the online prices. I don't mind paying a little more, but not what they charge. Online only now. I don't need a place to smoke.

8. Beale

Beale Active Member

I go to both of my B&M spots. One I would trust on a pipe, not so much the other? I do enjoy the atmosphere of the B&M. Seeing folks I know and talking with them is cool. IMHO I think both e-tail and retail have their places, Beale.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  9. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I wouldn't have had any problem paying say a 20% mark up to support local business. But it was seriously a 70% markup. I'll buy the tobacco but I'm not getting anywhere near their pipes again.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  10. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I have several local shops and all but one, marks their pipes up as you describe.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  11. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

I have a price range that I stay within when going to B&Ms. at My favorite B&M, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a pipe at a 100% markup, but I've got a soft spot for the guy and feel I want to help him out when ever I can. B&M owners have families too, and bills. If we continue to only buy online, we lose a very important, and cherished part of the world of the pipe. Moderation is the key, even with moderation... ;)

CustomDave and Mark w4mms like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.