Pipe Rack Question...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Otoolefan, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

I got this vintage pipe rack at a junk store recently. The guy I bought it from said part of the top is broken, and that's why it's straight while the other side is curved. I disagree & think it was designed this way. Who's right? http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/O...pg.html?&_suid=137156671205904666113457474367

fishnbanjo likes this.
  2. BRotherBriar

BRotherBriar Member

Could be either. To me it kind of looks like it broke and then was sanded down and re-strained. But it may have been designed that way to allow for a churchwarden or some other larger pipe. It's really hard to tell without seeing it in person. It certainly COULD have been designed that way...but I've never seen another one like it before. Every other round pipe stand I've seen had a round top and a round platform.

TWolf likes this.
  3. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

^^^I agree with the above post^^^ It could totally go either way.

TWolf, fishnbanjo and Coda like this.
  4. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Ah, a mystery! That game is afoot! It just that the break seems too clean, too straight, too smooth for it to have been an accidental break. But I concede it's certainly possible. I have one other pipe rack that has 4 closed holes and two open ones, so I was thinking it was something like that.

fishnbanjo and Thuber88 like this.
  5. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Either way, whether by design or accident, it's a unique pipe rest :)

6. Archi77

Archi77 Member

Either way, I like it. It could've been a small crack or something, and the owner of it decided to make a modification and restain... that would account for the clean cut part.

fishnbanjo and Preacher1611 like this.
  7. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

It's definately a nice pipe stand either way!

fishnbanjo likes this.
  8. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Just based on others I've seen, I'm inclined to say the top part also used to be a fully enclosed circle. That said, I prefer the top slots to be open rather than just a hole so at least one like that is a plus in my book :D

PipeSimmo, Thuber88 and fishnbanjo like this.
  9. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

It makes for great conversation whilst enjoying a pipe with another fellow of the pipe, it will make holding a churchwarden much easier and it looks very nice.

Thuber88 likes this.
  10. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Yeah, I'm coming around to thinking it did get broken at some point, but I like having one open hole, so it's all good.

11. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Thanks, I'm currently applying wood stripper to it, as the finish or veneer was half on and half off. I tried to just stain over it, but that didn't work so well, lol. So, starting from scratch & then going to restain it with a Walnut stain & then ENJOY it :)

Thuber88 likes this.
  12. Terry292

Terry292 Member

I think I'd go with the refinished theory. It looks to me as if the top part was a complete circle at one time, and someone decided, for whatever reason, to modify it. I've never seen another like that in almost 45 years of pipe smoking.

13. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Yeah, that pretty much cinches it in my mind. If this was a "style", you would've seen another one like this at some point. Case closed! :)

Thuber88 likes this.
  14. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

If the stain doesn't turn out so well, just choose a straight color and paint it, it will be simple and you can match your room.
    Good Luck and a nice stand!

15. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Thanks... Just put the first coat of Walnut stain on there after doing the "Strypease" paste, etc. It's laying on there pretty good. Second coat should really lay on there pretty good, I think. I think this stand is fairly old. 60s? 50s?

16. Thuber88

Does it have a brand stamp on the bottom?
    Otherwise its kind of a hard guess, my stand looks old but it was new in the last ten years, so its a crap shoot on age on a lot of them with no marking

17. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

No marking. It may have had one at one time, like a sticker on the felt bottom, but if so, that sucker is long gone. I know what you mean about how they can look old without them being that old. My only barometer is that in this 80 year old man's junk shop, everything looked like it had been sitting in there for 30 or 40 years, lol. I like telling myself it's from the 50s or 60s :)

18. Thuber88

That works as well as anything, but might as well go for the 40's, a little older is always nicer.
    At least in pipe stands and pipes

19. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Absolutely...

Thuber88 likes this.
  20. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

I always cut out all of the holes in my stands anyway, into u-shapes that hold my larger, bent pipes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.