Pipe Retirement? :[

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Tyler Lad, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Here is my first pipe:
    http://www.amazon.com/s-s-Long-Churchwarden-Tobacco-Pipe/dp/B004ECU1W2

It is a cheap thing, but as my first it seemed like it gave a great, smooth smoke. I maintained it and keep the pipe well-cleaned.
    Two months later I bought and have been smoking 2 cobs (and have had them for a few weeks). I love them!

My question:
    Why does the churchwarden taste less rich, smooth, etc., compared to the cobs and to what I remember enjoying? I think we can assume that the pipe is not sour, I gave it a couple of alcohol treatments, plenty of rest, and it looks clean visually.
    Could it be that some pipes just aren't good (and I didn't notice it at first)?
    Or am I going to be facing the same problem with my cobs in 2 or so months?

What do you think?

-Tyler

Edit: I believe the pipe is made of Rosewood and has a metal stem.

2. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

Green briar? Improperly cured briar can make your tobacco taste flat. I had a Kaywoodie 2003 POY apple that was like that. Liked the pipe, but got rid of it because it made everything taste dull.

3. jeff394

jeff394 Member

I think it's a case of puppy love with those cobs.

SmokeyJoe likes this.
  4. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Cobs definately smoke different than any other pipe, could just be that and the newness of the cobs. Having 4 cobs myself I totally understand why some guys only smoke cobs. You never know, you could just be a cob guy...

Mister Moo likes this.
  5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Cob guys happen all the time.

Come back to that cw in six months.

Raffxr7 and Preacher1611 like this.
  6. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Maybe I just need a real briar?
    I don't think I'll be going back to this particilar cw though, the stem and mouthpiece were poorly made and fall out/twist around at the tenon too easily

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Sounds like a few good cobs have made you get picky. :D Now you know why there's a Corncob Snob Society.

Taste might be off because the stem is leaking air. You can make that puppy fit snugly with a drop of melted beeswax (or a thin-thin coat of clear fingernail polish) on the tenon.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  8. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

You might be right.. :/
    hah, well if there is a good pipe to be a snob about, it's a cob, as cheap and accessible as they are. :]

That's a great idea for the tenon, was trying to figure out a way to fix it.

9. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

They just get better when they are broken in.:D

Preacher1611 and Tyler Lad like this.
  10. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Hah! I've noticed each smoke seems better than the last (unlike with the cw I have.)

11. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

Cobs are great, cheap initial investment, easy to find replacement filters/ stems, they smoke great and are good for dedicating to specific types/blends...

If you're interested in briar, go for a dr grabow, they have decent ones at rite aids, cvs, Walgreens...I have a couple and they both smoke great...

Just my $.02

12. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

If your CW really is rosewood with a metal stem it was likely meant to be used as a decoration rather than to be actually smoked. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get a new pipe but when you do get one pay a few extra $ and get a good one that will last you the rest of your life. My experience has been that Dr. Grabow, Kaywoodie, Medico, Yello Bole, and other drug store brands are not durable or well made. They fall apart in less than a couple of years.

Tyler Lad likes this.
  13. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

For a really nice briar, Tyler Lad, you might also want to check out the Classic collection at Invicta Pipes. Many cost about the same as those AND Meerschaums you were considering. I have the Rhodesian, and am already considering another pipe from them. It is a wonderful smoke and a nice looking pipe.

http://www.invictabriars.com/classic briarpipes.html

14. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

15. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

You don't need to break the bank on a briar. Many people here have had good long lasting succes with Dr G and Kaywoodie. For around $50.00 you can get a Savinelli.

I am an unabashed cob and meer guy. But to get full enjoyment from this hobby, I urge you to try a good real briar such as these. You may eventually decide you would rather smoke a cob. But at least you will have the experience to make a decision.

16. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Yesyesyes
    Savinelli makes me salivate

:drly:

17. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Another thought on the cheaper end is you can look into some estate pipes -- you can often find a nice smoker that's already been broken in for you!

18. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

don't forget them Petersons.. Especially if you can get an estate one from the System Range.. They're good ones too..

tungbite likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.