Pipe Rotation?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Robin, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Robin

Robin Member

I was smoking one of my favorite briar pipes over the weekend, and got a slightly nasty taste towards the bottom of a bowl, I've been using this particular tobacco pipe combo for a few days, and this was a first time for that! I cleaned the pipe, and switched to another pipe problem solved. My question is, how often should a pipe be rotated out, and how long to let it "rest" ? I use my briar pipes for the sweeter blends I get from my local pipe shop, and cobs for OTCs , the cobs seem to do fine without a "rest" and I assume that is more related to the tobacco than the pipe, any you "old farts" got a clue? :)
  2. Tate

Tate Member

Briar has a finite amount of moisture it can absorb before it becomes saturated and your smoking is impacted. That will vary by pipe but as you found out, the pipe will "let you know". Many factors contribute to the correct "resting" time and so once again, the pipe will let you know. Try giving it 5-7 days. It depends on temperature, humidity, amount of cake in the bowl, quality of the briar, etc. But a week is a good starting point to let a pipe rest.

The cobs don't really need to rest like briar because their composition and mechanics are completely different. Cobs are setup with the bowl having a place below the stem hole that allows the moisture to go someplace beyond the material and I doubt they absorb nearly as much moisture as a briar into their material. Thus they employ a totally different mechanic and do not require resting. I doubt it has too much to do with your tobacco choices in the pipes.
    jason1977, Preacher1611 and Robin like this.
  3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I currently use a three pipe rotation, my pipes get a two day rest period between uses.
    Preacher1611 and Robin like this.
  4. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Opinions on this are like noses, everyone has one. For me, I generally smoke a briar once and then rest it for a day. I've heard from "never" to one day and up to a week between smokes. I don't think there is an ironclad answer. I am of the opinion that the choice of tobacco can make a difference. If one is smoking a heavily cased tobacco it could result in more moisture and "goo." As a result one might want to allow more drying time. When you have a blend that is smoking to a "gray ash" at the bottom of the pipe, the pipe will be ready a little quicker.
  5. Dr Dover

Dr Dover Member

I abuse my pipes. I give little thought to rotation, cleaning, etc. It isn't because I don't care about my pipes, it's because life gets in the way. The only way I can rotate my pipes is to make sure I don't grab the same one I smoked the day before. Even then, when I respond to a call in the early morning hours, I sometimes grab the same one. I am making an effort to have certain pipes for certain events. Small ones that can be stuffed into a bunker coat for structure fires and vehicle accidents. Large bowels for long "windshield" time. Pipe cleaners always on hand for during and after. By this, I am forcing myself into a better rotation system than I ever had before.
  6. Pfeifenraucher

Pfeifenraucher Member

One brother to another.:hbang:
    Robin likes this.
  7. capt dave

capt dave Member

You're gonna get answers all over the board on this one. Back in the day alot of guys could only afford one pipe and with a good cleaning when needed it last longer than they did( allow for untimely deaths). My great great grandfathers pipe still exists, my uncle has it. He doesn't smoke but I know it is smokable and you bet your ass I'm gonna smoke it if I get a hold of it. I have a six pipe rotation at home and travel with a four ( three and a cob ). Keep in mind I'm out to sea 28 days at a time and home 14. I'm going for a seven pipe rotation and will undoubtably buy more over the years. If you can afford to buy em I have a few around. But it has been proven over time that its not nessisary.
    boiseTim, Wicker Man and Robin like this.
  8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Try a Falcon!....the issue won't exist!:)
    OT
  9. craig

craig Active Member

I agree with ted falcons can have the hell smoked out of them and they still come back for more
    And the beauty of falcons is if you buy a full falcon pipe
    Just buy a couple more bowls and switch between

Generally i only smoke 1-2 bowls in one falcon abd let it rest but you could do a full days smoking in one then just switch to another bowl the next day
    Thuber88 and Robin like this.
  10. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I was taught that there are two schools of thought, smoke it once and let it rest for a day or smoke it all day and let it rest for a week.
    There is lots of evidence out there to prove this is overly cautious but either of these is certainly er'ring on the safe side.
    ruffinogold and Robin like this.
  11. SouthBound

SouthBound Southern Fried Curmudgeon

and lots of cobs.
  12. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Look! Up in the sky! It's a... goat?

I smoke the ever-living crap out of my pipes! I usually pick one for the day and smoke it 1 to however many times until I go to bed. The next day I pick a new one, that way there is at least one day of rest for each pipe. But as I demand a lot from my pipes, I want them to smoke well with no break-in period. When I am breaking one in I try to leave it at home and smoke it once or twice then let it rest until I want it again, could be a couple days, could be a month. Once a pipe is broken in it better be able to smoke all day with little resting! But I'm crazy so...
    boiseTim, Thuber88, KleinToit and 4 others like this.
  13. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I smoke one pipe for the day also, from sun up to sun down, fresh pipe in the morning for the next day of smoking. In my opinion, a well smoked pipe smokes better than a well rested pipe...
  14. Robin

Robin Member

Thanks all for the replies, it is mostly new info for me. I don't smoke much, but now I have another excuse, er reason, to buy more pipes. :) I'll smoke 'em hard then rest 'em for a few days, should work out just right.
    Thuber88 and Preacher1611 like this.
  15. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

It's all about finding what makes you happy and what works for you.
    Robin and Preacher1611 like this.
  16. Jay

Jay Active Member

some pipes need more rest than others, or at least you think they do. I smoke two pipes almost exclusively. They are my work pipes. They are in my pickup. Now sometimes i will smoke the same one for a few days straight then switch to the other. or smoke both on the same day. you can tell when they are getting nasty. I usually leave my ash in them until i need to repack one of them. This is bad form even by my standards, biut it happens. I really abuse the crap out of them. When they become intolerable, I will clean them, ream them and start all over again. Thanks Savinelli and Doc "Grabow for making such fine smoking pipes.

With that being said, When I come home I will smoke a different pipe, but sometimes it will be the same pipe from the night before. The pipes will talk to you and let you know when they need a rest. In my opinion, when a guy claims he smokes one bowl and then lets it rest for a week I think he probably only smokes a few bowls a week anyhow and wouldn't know the difference.
  17. Smokey

Smokey Member

I live in a pretty damn humid environment in South Florida. I smoke falcons alot because they dry quickly and I can sway a bowl out if it does not. I have some really nice briars, but they usually take a week or so to dry out. I pretty much have them dedicated to a specific blend . The Falcons and a couple of Grabows and a few cobs tend to dry overnight and I am subject to smoke them much more often and really on a daily basis. I have a tendancy to smoke otc or MB blends most of the day and a stray tinned blend now and then in a nice briar. To answer your question, I let a pipe rest until the entire bowl looks uniform in color. If the bottom is darker, I let it rest more because I think there is still some moisture present. I really enjoy an aro from time to time and it tends to leave more moisture in the bowl, but by dedicating it to a certain blend and letting it dry out properly, can be one of the best smokes ever. jmho, and boynton 236. still traveling east.
    Robin likes this.
  18. Bulldog

Bulldog Member

Hey brother-

I usually smoke a pipe one time per day and immediately put a pipe cleaner in to absorb moisture. At the end of the month, i do a cleaning with mentholated alcohol on the stem and use a few q tips in the shank.
    Robin likes this.
  19. Robin

Robin Member

Thanks again for the replies, especially from my pipe smokin' brethren!

Robin PM
    Meridian Sun #50 F&AM
    Bulldog likes this.
  20. ruffinogold

ruffinogold " It takes a Pro to smoke an Aro " [ RG] Mayor

When they get to " that " point ... I clean and put it up a while . A while being I put it In the box of pipes that I have that I'm not smoking and take another out in it's place . Depending on the luck of the grab ..... the pipe could rest for a day or 6 months . I really have no answer . Hey , it seems the Masons have showed up .. I think PSF needs some secret stuff for everyone to make a big deal over and think we're cool . I would be into trading the PSF helicopter in for one of those midget cars the Shriners drive around in . If I weren't Catholic and aloud to join , I'd be the guy driving the midget cars ... to freakin cool ! :th1: