1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pipe Seasons?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Baccy Bert, May 9, 2012.

Best pipe weather?

1. Summer- sunny, warm, clear

1 vote(s)
  2. Winter- Cold, crisp, wrapped up in layers

4 vote(s)
  3. Autumn- colourful, blustery, mild

23 vote(s)
  4. Spring- Dewy, mild, clear

11 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baccy Bert

Baccy Bert Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Just finished a nice smoke outside in what I'd call nice weather by Irish standards ( dry, about 14 celsius and blue sky). It was partly the nice conditions that made the smoke so pleasant. Got to thinking is there a season best for pipe smoking? In summer there's nice dry ground to sprawl on a grassy bank or beach and enjoy a smoke in the heat but on the other hand a pipe can warm extremities and one's core during winter months. Just some of my musings when I should be studying :)

Any favored pipe smoking seasons/weather?

Hope you're all well folks,

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Feb 9, 2010
    Autumn is my favorite season, so I'll go with that.
    Morse, dmkerr and Capt like this.
  3. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I love to sit in my Florida Room (Sun Room) when it is raining and leisurely sip my pipe.
    Mington likes this.
  4. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I like to sit outside and watch the kid play. I have an issue with heat(it's hot), so me and the summer don't mix unless its dark or I'm on a boat. So, spring it it.
  5. snowman

snowman Member

Jun 19, 2009
    I really cant vote as I enjoy my pipes year round.
  6. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Dec 21, 2011
    My favorite season is Autumn but I enjoy my pipes year round. If it's too hot or too cold it's not the same though. I love hiking up a mountain and then sitting around enjoying the view smoking a pipe.
  7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Jun 13, 2010
    Spring is it. Time to break out the lighter
    fare from the cellar and look forward
    to six months of warmer weather. Summer
    is a little too hot (except in the shade),
    Autumn is too blustery, and winter is
    just too damn cold! Now, if I smoked
    inside, my choices would definitely change.
    Jayson H Bucy, Mington and Baccy Bert like this.
  8. Marker

Marker Active Member

Apr 13, 2012
    Autumn is my favorite season bar none. I love the slightly cool feeling in the evening. Hunting season with my dogs. Working hard splitting logs then lighting up a fire. Smoking a cigar (or pipe now, damn you people and your nice pipes!), and relaxing at a mesmerizing fire. Throw some Aberlour in there if I want a drink as well.
    TheMadMan likes this.
  9. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Autumn for me as well. Though I smoke year-round whenever I'm awake, autumn has a way of being especially appealing in Michigan -- not as cold as the winter, not as humid as the summer, and not as just plain weird as our spring.
    Rodfather and Mington like this.
  10. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nothing better for me than to be in a warm duck blind waiting for the world to come to life. Telling my 10 year old Grandson of tales past and watching him glow and hoping that he can have the same experiences that Dad-Dad and his Dad have had. My black Lab in her spot in the blind waiting for the action to start, and then the first whistle of wings overhead and the anticipation of what comes next. By this time I am already finished with the first bowl of the day. It is a good thing that ducks can't smell or the hunt would be ruined, yea Autum is my favorite time of the year.
    Capt, psquared, Mike Pomery and 3 others like this.
  11. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

May 8, 2012
    Pipes've always struck me as a fall and winter thing. There's something about the flavors (particularly latakia), aromas (ditto) and warmth of a pipe that make me think of cool days, falling leaves, and chilly nights--or a blazing fire and snow on the ground. Not that I have ever let the weather dictate my smoking habits, but I might well take to being one of those seasonal smokers, keeping latakia-heavy blends for the dark part of the year.
  12. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Mar 2, 2011
    As it would happen I like fall the best. Although, in fairness, I would have have agreed to what ever season jpberg suggested. In this case, we agree, so its all good.
    jpberg likes this.
  13. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Nov 26, 2011
    I cast no vote as I enjoy my pipe in all the seasons from my thermostat controlled environment!
  14. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2011
    I have to say that while it's my least favorite season, around here it would be winter. I find my smokes tend to be a little wetter during the hot, humid days. That said, any day with low(ish) humidity and no more than a pleasant breeze helps make it easier to smoke outdoors.
  15. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Late Summer here in Western Canada is my favorite time of year. In late August it's warm (15-20C) during the day, and dips to cooler temps in the evening/night. The smell of the air turning, Autumn colours. Stirs a lot of memories of school days.
    Old Codger likes this.
  16. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

May 19, 2010
    It's such a toss up for me. Springtime is great. Partially because I've been cooped up all winter long in the house. When the beautiful spring weather is in full force, it's nice to venture outside for a smoke.
    Then there's summer, near the river, a lake, back deck in the morning... nice smoking times.
    Autumn is wonderful, when the air is crisp, taking the dog for a walk, the colors of nature, there's a feeling of freshness in the air..
    So it's hard to pick a season. However, being that you've asked.. I would have to say Autumn..
    Preacher1611 likes this.
  17. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    +1. Autumn is my favorite season.

Or as I like to say, I feel most alive when everything around me is dying.
  18. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Nov 22, 2009
    I'm an autumn boy myself also. I like the cool change, I like the colour-stained death, I like the fact that I can put my faithful leather jacket back on. I like the soft sting of the autumn's chill drawn through my nose, bringing a musty contentment. Yep... I'm an autumn-boy.
    psquared likes this.
  19. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I love late summer/early autumn.....but now living in Florida i guess I like summer for pipe smoking. Pretty much warm and sunny here all year round....or warm and rainy.
  20. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Nov 12, 2010
    I'm a summer guy. Strangely enough, I really, really like lat in the summer. Mostly because summer to me is bonfires at the beach, and the smokiness of the lat just screams summer.

Granted, I smoke lat year round (if it ain't got lat, it ain't worth crap) and San Diego doesn't get too cold in the winter (we freeze at 50°F) so I don't really have to deal with that "dark part of the year" like much of the world.

It's quite nice, really.:D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.