Pipe Sip & Cloud Nirvana

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Mister Moo, Mar 14, 2013.

?

Have Sip Clouds?

1. Never heard ot it

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. Heard of it - never/sometimes happens

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. I get sip clouds all the time - never thought twice about it

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. I felt like I finally understood pipesmoking when sip clouds became status quo

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Pipe sipping and an opaque cloud is the end - maybe add a smoke ring for a flourish. I LOVE the sip and opaque cloud. Here is a picture of sip cloud; I took it for March Meer Madness and the sip cloud was incidental, not the reason for the picture. I just get a lot of sip clouds anymore.

[​IMG]

Along with sip clouds I have noticed you get a few fringes - like longer, cooler burning pipes. I have often read that you need to be sipping a pipe and this sounded to me like sipping was thee goal. Lately it occured to me that good sipping is merely a by-product of a pipe well filled. "Well filled" (not packed) takes into account some certainty regarding:
    • the preferred moisture level of the subject tobacco;
    • the amount of expansion you can expect from the subject tobacco;
    • how easily the subject tobacco compresses or, more aptly, overcompresses; and
    • how heavy a tamp is too heavy.
    Certain knowledge of only these four things (as applied to only one tobacco blend) covers a lot of ground for a novice. Complicate the acquisition of this knowledge by adding more tobacco blends smoked in some combination of not one, but many, pipes each with its own peculiar characteristics.

The reliable sip cloud does not give itself up willingly. Jumping around to different pipes and tobaccos distances the sip cloud. Lacking concentration or imagination as to what is happening inside the chamber when fire hits the tobacco delays arrival at Sipville Station. Or simply lacking a sip cloud expectation may place the sip cloud in a location irrelevant to your direction of travel - you might hit it by accident one day, or not.

The sip cloud, though, is not an object of pipe smoking but merely a byproduct of something else. Like being happy in life, happiness for its own sake is the goal of a fool - happiness is a byproduct of a life well lived. I'd be the first to say you will smoke far cooler and get substantially more flavor from a pipe that produces opaque clouds of smoke from short sips. But sipping a pipe doesn't make it happen - you need to know the pipe, the tobacco and the good fill. The sip, and perhaps a glimpse of nirvana, will follow in due course.

2. Robert leslie

Robert leslie Member

Also helps if you are indoors or smoking outside on a windless day. A nice breeze will rob you of a sip cloud! And here in NC when the humidity is high and the air is still, you get a sip fog that forever lingers, but that is not a bad thing either :)

Basil Meadows, YAPPG and Mister Moo like this.
  3. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

MisterMoo, this has to be the most mellow offering of all your writings I have read sofar. I've not been here very long but have read your takes and learned some new things from them.
    I had a dbl bypass and valve repair a year ago last august and picked up my pipes again last august. Decided I would be ok just sipping them and not risk doing any damage to myself.
    I get a whole lot of pleasure sitting and sipping! Tons of enjoyment from taste that way. I do take long draws but not alot like I did before the opperation. It is just more pleasurable and satisfying for me.The ordeal with the open heart messed up my taste. I could'nt stand the taste of coffee that i'd been drinking for 30 years. Good strong Starbucks. I kinda miss that, too. Some of my taste has come back but i am still relearning to discern various tobacco tastes.
    I think the only time I have experienced a nirvana state from pipe smoking was after smoking a new tin of Three Oaks Syrian for the first time. I actually picked out so many exciting nuances from that first bowl I smiled all day. I have not gotten those tastes after that first bowl. GH LPF gives me a lot of nuances most of the time.
    Anyways, I feel I feel i am lucky to be able to sip and enjoy so every new day is nirvana for me.
    BTW how is your recouperation getting along? And thanks for your posts I know they have helped a lot of us.

4. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

As I blunder through multiple blends and multiple pipes, I wonder if I should just set a few of them aside for some time and just concentrate on one or two. But that's not easy!

5. FoxHounder84

FoxHounder84 Member

I had never experienced the ease, tranquility, fulfillment and spectacular flavor of a sip cloud until last night. I have only been at this for about 4 months, and my filling technique is finally starting to yield consistant results. Last night I decided to experiment with a fold and stuff of Orlik Golden Sliced in one of my cobs. The resulting smoke was the finest I've ever had. The fill was perfect, the draw was excellent, and the bowl burned evenly to ash with no relights. I had maybe 6 or 7 sip clouds. Needless to say, I was very proud of myself.

The knowledge I've gleaned from this wonderful resource has certainly made a huge difference in my life. I went from a pack a day of Marlboro 27's to 4-6 bowls a day of fine pipe tobacco in just 4 months. While I will occasionally light up a cigarette every now and then, the urge to do so is fading each and every day. I have all of you here at PSF to thank for that. And now that my filling and cadence are starting to normalize, I look forward to more and more sip cloudd nirvana experiences.

6. Mister Moo

I blundered, not that there is a right or wrong way. It just takes longer to get there assuming you don't hit terminal frustration first. Either way. :D

YAPPG likes this.
  7. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

There have been some great moments, some not so great moments and everything in between. I'm just enjoying the ride.

Brit abroad and YAPPG like this.
  8. Mister Moo

Thanks for recognizing natural Moo mellowness; it often goes unnoticed. The cats believe in it, the dog not so much, the motorcycle less, the car not at all.

Post-surgery my taste was messed up for months. I know what you're talking about - good luck with that. After a fusion you're not supposed to smoke but my doc gave me a pass because, as a former piper, he didn't think a couple of bowls a day could give me enough nicotine to slow bone growth. So I was pleased - until, a week after surgery, I found nothing tasted good. 2 1/2 months later it all came back.

Recovery for four-level fusion is 6-12 months; after three months I still see six more to get right. I'm good to drive, back on the motorcycle a bit and managed a few hours of carpentry last week. There are always pain pills in my pocket... :whis:

YAPPG likes this.
  9. RodneyWT1180B

RodneyWT1180B Member

YAPPG, I've been on a few medications that messed with my sense of taste too. Foods that I liked and thought were safe and bland like an egg salad sandwich would make me gag. Not fun at all. I hope your taste returns to normal soon. Mister Moo I hope your recovery continues to go well.
    Rodney

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.