1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pipe smokers profile?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Waino, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waino

Waino Active Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Let's see if we recognize him ....
    Back in 1970, A B Hughes, a Durban journalist, gave us permission to use his delightful description of a Pipeman.

There is nothing like a pipe for giving a man a meretricious air of profundity.

You ask a pipe-smoker, for instance, whether he thinks that mankind is justified in spending all this money on visiting the moon and he promptly goes into his routine. First he takes his pipe out of his mouth and examines the outside of the bowl. Then he peers inside and debates with himself whether he can save the little glow he sees there. He decides he can, so he puts the pipe back in his mouth and sucks hard five or six times. Nothing happens. So he takes the pipe out of his mouth and looks into the bowl again in a reproachful and injured manner.
    He then pats his left pocket to see if there are any matches there. There aren't so he pats his right pocket with the same result. He looks utterly dismayed, as if the world had come to an end, but then he notices with relief that the matches were on the table all the time, alongside the ashtray.

Finally he gets his pipe going and sits back in a cloud of smoke, directing at you that long, level, honest look that is probably the most infuriating characteristic of pipe smokers.
    At last he delivers his verdict. He says "It all depends on your attitude to these things. I think my answer would be yes - up to a point".
  2. muddler

muddler Active Member

Sep 20, 2012
    So true! No wonder we have a reputation for being boring & irritating old farts.
    RTOdhner, Waino and jpberg like this.
  3. krusty

krusty Active Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Oh but that made me laugh. LOL, I have so done this very thing!

And I had to look up meretricious.
    Use of the word as part of describing pipe smokers is particularly apt when it comes to most members of this forum!
  4. cmkiefer

cmkiefer Member

Nov 4, 2012
    Profundity!? I resemble that remark.
    Waino and RTOdhner like this.
  5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2011
    As much as I get annoyed with pipe smokers who do that, I know damn well that I have done it myself in the past... and probably will do again in the future. Yep, A. B. Huges hit the nail on the head - almost. (He forgot about using the stem/shank as a pointer that is waved around at nothing in particular).
  6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    I too, noticed that obvious omission, RTO. Beyond that, it certainly fits me...to a "T"!!
    Raffxr7, Waino and RTOdhner like this.
  7. brumoon

brumoon Member

Oct 26, 2012
    I'm not sure (looking, tamping, looking, lighting, puffing) if I agree.
    Waino, RTOdhner and WrightwoodJohn like this.
  8. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Jul 12, 2011
    My answer would've been, "how important is it to you?" If it's important to you & others, then it's safe to say it's important enough to explore the possibilities & all that goes into such a trip. (then my disclaimer) ~But that's just one man's opinion.

I'm most definitely not an old fart, though I may as well be. I'm 35, would much rather read up on brewing my own beer at home than waste time & money chasing women. Some may call me a pup, do so if ya must, but at the very least regard me as a young belch, LOL!

Pipe smokers are the thinkers in the andro-world of Y-chromosomes, & BBQ sauce, lol. We're the ones that can think critically, cooly, calmly, quietly...... but do it best when clenching... :sailor:
    StubrnDutchman, Waino and RTOdhner like this.
  9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I wish I could use the laughing icons whilst on this iPad. That was spot on!
    Waino and RTOdhner like this.
  10. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Great, now I have to go load up another bowl of Dark English Full and wax philosophical for the next hour or so...rotten enablers!!!
    Preacher1611, Waino and RTOdhner like this.
  11. menachem

menachem Member

Oct 9, 2012
    I seem to do that a lot, pointing with the pipe. Espiecially with my churchwarden.
  12. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Dec 21, 2011
    I use my pipe to articulate with even when I'm talking to myself. It gets the point across better that way!
    RTOdhner likes this.
  13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    :xd: ... we probably do look like deer in the headlights at times
    Waino likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.