1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pipe smoking and medical nicotine test.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by halpuff, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halpuff

halpuff Member

I'm not sure I'm in the right forum to ask this question and I have attempted several searches and cannot seem to dig up any previous conversation regarding my topic.
    My brother is a casual pipe smoker and like many of us is so busy he is lucky to light up a bowl but only once or twice a week; and somtimes a week or two or three will go by witout a bowl at all.

He told me today that the company he has his life insurance policy with has sprung a surprise urine and blood test on him and announced that they are checking for the presence of nicotine.

He said he did a little research on line and only found information regarding nicotine testing as it pertains to cigarette smoking but could find nothing specifiic to pipe smoking and nicotine tests.

He is wondering if nicotine testing would have the same results since typically there is quite a difference between cigarette and pipe smoking. Being that most cigarette smokers inhale the smoke deep into their lungs where there are millions of blood capillaries that collect and process the nicotine; and many, if not most pipe smokers only take the smoke into their nasal cavity with very little of the smoke even reaching the lung area.

It is reported that nicotine in cigarette smokers can be detected in the urine for up to 20 days after their last cigarette, and up to 10 days through a blood test.

Basically, my brother is wondering if he should have the same concern for detection since he is only a very casual pipe smoker and not a cigarette smoker. I might add that when he does smoke his pipe it is only done out of doors and never in an enclosed room.

And my brothers question kind of leads me to my own question regarding passive pipe smoke: If a none-smoker is sitting around a poker table with three other pipe smokers for three hours would the non-smoker fail a urine or blood nicotine test?

mmmmm. Interesting.

Halpuff:)

2. craig

craig Active Member

well if your sat round a poker table for three hours with other pipe smokers, then you will be taking in the smoke so there will be nicotine in your system but i shouldnt think it will be a great deal, with regards to your brother i would say with him being occasional smoker, when he actually gets tested there might not be any nicotine in his system or if there is very little which he could put down to environments he is in, but it could also boil down to what strength tobaccos he smokes, the list is endless really.

3. halpuff

halpuff Member

Thanks Craig for your response.
    Regarding tobacco strength.....on the rare ocassion that he does smoke a pipe the only tobacco he smokes is a Samuel Gawith Navy Flake. And usually it one single flake or less out of the tin.

4. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

After reading the responses, I can see Prince Albert's new slogan:"Less nicotine. Helps you beat the insurance companies."

5. craig

craig Active Member

Its fine or you could just tell him to say if nicotine shows up, that he used to be a smoker and quit a while back but he started getting cravings again so he got an electronic cigarette because there healthier.

But to be honest i dont see the point in it, everyone is gunna meet there maker some day whether it be caused by smoking or not, i guess the desk jockeys are getting bored of there job and want something to do.

colorduke and WyoBob like this.
  6. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

Water, water, water, and more water in the days leading up to, and on the day of the urine test. Make it so dilute, and his system so flushed that nothing shows up. Btw I used to teach in a drug rehab and this would also work for that other stuff we weren't supposed to smoke to set an example for the kids.

7. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Unreal. Never thought of see the day when a tobacco smoking forum had to give advice on how to beat a urine test. What a brave new world we live in. :rolleyes:

8. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

i just got a notice that medical screenings will happen jan 2014 for my company. going to cost 49bucks a pay period extra if you're a tobacco user... two to three pay periods a month adds up quick... the world is not the place it used to be.

9. halpuff

halpuff Member

This is a very good thought!
    I recall back in the 70's when I was in my 20's I was sitting at the kitchen table and updating my life insurance policy with my insurance agent. We came to the health history questionaire and he asked if I was a smoker. At the time I replied that I had been smoking a pipe for a few years and was quite surprised when he, with pen in hand, said out loud "Non-Smoker" as he checked the non-smoker box on the application. When I questioned this he informed me that the insurance companies classify pipe smokers as non-smokers due to the fact that most pipe smokers do not inhale while smoking. He then went on to say that their studies found that the longevity of pipe smokers was no different than non-smokers and in some studies they found that some pipe smokers outlived the non-smokers.
    But, now that we live in the era of the "Anti-Everyting Fanatics", the insurance companies want to know about it if you stare too longinly at a tin of Frog Morton on the glossy pages of pipes and Tobacco magazine for fear a molocule of nicotine may transfer to your fingers trough the printing ink.
    Next will come house-to-house searches.

10. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

I was talking to some folks about this at the CORPS show. One guy, who smokes large, strong cigars, six a day said that he passed his life insurance company's nic test with flying colors.

11. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I have no information on this...sorry! Being as he's already been tested, we'll just have to wait and see what the results are...hope you let us know. The water, water, water thing won't help when the tests are unannounced and random.

12. halpuff

halpuff Member

He has been tested but as I mentioned in my original post...he is a very infrequent pipe smoker and the thing he has going for him is the fact that it had been 12 to 15 days since he last smoked the pipe.
    I will keep everyone posted regarding the results.

13. craig

craig Active Member

No offence to anyone across the pond but where smoking is concearned i thought Britain was bad but America, jesus, the way some people go on its made to sound like you are smoking a bag of meth every hour on the hour.

JimInks, conroygc and Old Codger like this.
  14. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

No offense taken! Hell man...we have to LIVE with this! They're legalizing hallucinogenics like marijuana all over the country, and coming down on tobacco like it was poison...talk about screwed up priorities............... I've read of people killed by stoned drivers, but never heard of anyone being killed by an impaired pipe/cigar/cigarette smoker. What's this country coming to?!?

WyoBob and colorduke like this.
  15. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Several years ago I had to take a blood test for a life insurance policy, where I defined myself as a "Non-Smoker". I was smoking 3-4 cigars a week at that time. Passed with flying colors.

And where's the ACLU when you really need 'em!?!?!?

Skrymr likes this.
  16. conroygc

conroygc Member

Similar experience here. Smoked a cigar on Friday, took the blood test on Monday, and I passed okay.

17. craig

craig Active Member

yeah very screwed up prioritys, we have a similar problem we have legal highs (legal chemical versions of things like canabis and ecstacy) these are openly on sale, a few have been banned because of fatalities particularly something called meow meow they cause users to go off there heads and really harm themselves, its been made illegal but all the makers have to do is tweak the chemical forumla and its legal again.

tobacco over here is hidden away like a big bad beast but these legal highs are available openly in shops and you havent a clue what your taking.

America and Britain the two biggest nanny states in the world me thinks?.
    Anyone agree.

Yankee Bill likes this.
  18. Alan Dye

Alan Dye Member

This may be of some help: http://science.howstuffworks.com/nicotine2.htm

The thing to remember is that they're testing for nicotine concentrations in bodily fluids, not how it is ingested. There is probably a trace threshold you have to exceed. Nicotine's half life is 60 minutes according to the article. I'd say if you knew you had a test coming up, lay off the pipe for a few days and you should be fine.

Otherwise if testing is random, you might have to limit yourself to say an evening pipe after work, and not have a morning pipe before going to work. A pipe at say 7-8p in the evening and then showing up for work the following morning at 8 followed by an immediate test would give you 12 hours, probably enough to fall below the threshold. This of course doesn't represent legal advice.

As for me, I'd probably seek new employment elsewhere.

Yankee Bill likes this.
  19. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

The textbook for my school's health class states:
    "To reduce liklihood of automobile fatality, quite smoking"

:doh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.