Pipe smoking article

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by BradNTX, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I was reading something on PSF about Mark Twain's pipe smoking quotes. As I often do, I followed the rabbit trail and Googled "Mark Twain pipe". I found a couple interesting things on that subject, but also found the following link written in 1994 about modern pipe smoking. The author is well written and an interesting thing about the article is how similar 2010 is to 1994 as related to what is going on with PC and tobacco use.

I hope you enjoy:
    Put That in Your Pipe by Rick Newcombe

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Thank you, that was an enjoyable read.

What worries me is that level headed debate can never happen with those who fanatically oppose tobacco in any form. Not that going postal on non-smokers is the answer either, but calm steadfastness in exercising our rights may not be enough to prevent the loonies from getting their wish. God bless America...it needs the help.

-Kyle

3. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

Thanks for the read. It was cool to read it again and yes, it is a good article. As far as the struggles of 94, as far back as I can remember, smokers have been fighting to continue to smoke. The difference now, is that politicians have made a lot of traction and successfully limited smoking. Most of this success is relatively recent in the grand scheme of things. Every success at clipping our wings makes the next attempt easier to impose. Ironically, in the eighties, I had teachers who smoked in the classroom while they taught and noone blinked an eye.

4. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

I'm a friend and big fan of Rick Newcombe's writing. Put That in Your Pipe is chapter one in his great book In Search of Pipe Dreams. I can say without reservation this is the best pipe book I've ever read. It is not a how to book but a collection of essays. A new edition with color photo's is now available.
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/books/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=4405

Below is a link to a transcript of a speech Mr. Newcombe gave to The Seattle Pipe club that you might enjoy. :bling:
    http://www.seattlepipeclub.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=969877&module_id=34842

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Came across that article some time ago - and it still makes sense. The U.K. Governement did bring in 90% of the legislation he feared for America.

I genuinely believe in pipe smoking as an antidote for stress and also believe as firmly that had I not smoked a pipe I would have had a stroke some years ago.

Thanks for posting this excellent article,

Gerry

6. nobler son

nobler son Member

Great article. I agree about the stress: a good pipe makes you slow down and go easy for a while.

7. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

What a great read! Bookmarked. I may have to pick up that book too!

8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Oooh, a collection of essays? I thought it was more of a "how to" with some stories. A book of pipe related essays sounds very intriguing. I may have to scoop up a copy as well.

9. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I've read it and highly recommend it. I think smokingpipes.com has a special going on where if your order reaches a certain amount, you get a free copy of the book!

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Indeed, a great read! I wish everyone
    who read it would understand it, but
    alas, I believe most will never grasp
    the knowledge that we have. Thanks
    for posting this!

dp

11. len smetona

len smetona Member

I wonder how the anti tobacco types would feel about the states that don't require motorcycle helmets. I think I know.

I am an avid rider, I would not ride without a helmet, but I am happy the government does not require to wear one.

On occasion, I have been known to test ride around the block without a helmet, and it did not make me a criminal! (In PA)

Len S

12. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

You have to buy a Becker, Castello, or Dunhill pipe. So I guess if you were going to drop four or five Benjamins on a pipe anyways its not a bad deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.