1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pipe stem question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Dutchking22, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

This has probably been posted many times before, and I appologize. But my stem has a long crack in it from my awesome jaws. Any way to fix it so as not to have to purchase another?

2. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Once cracked, you will always continue to have problems. You can super or gorilla glue it together but it won't last. A new stem is not that expensive and you would not have to worry about it. Since you have such a strong bite, I recommend learning to use the rubber softies on your pipes.

3. WillH

WillH Active Member

Ya what he said. Most epoxies or Cyanoacrylates ( super glue ) will continue to react with the acid in your mouth and degrade - probably won't taste great either. Eliminate the hassle and just replace the stem..

Will

4. qwik

qwik Member

could try heat shrink tubing .

5. WillH

WillH Active Member

Won't be air tight for long and moisture will get under it! :( Heat shrink tubing only shrinks once and the stem will expand and contract some during smoking.

Will

6. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Well the stem broke and i filed it down even...still might try replacing it......its a Dr. Grabow Omega so just buying another is not a big hastle, or is it?

7. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

To be honest, for a pipe in that price range I would just buy another one off the Bay and move on. A new stem would cost more than the pipe.

8. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

May or may not be worth it depending on how much you like the pipe, but Grabow will sell you a replacement stem for $9 + about $3 S&H.

9. Bacek

Bacek Member

I had same problem with Grabow's Savoy. The pipe is nicely broken in and I like it. Emailed Grabow about stem replacement - no answer. I end up buying a generic stem from internet and fit it. Now I have a nice smoking monster.

10. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I am thinking about replacing the stem, but I don't want to run into the problem of emailing them and never hearing back, nor do I really want to spend the money to ship a new stem to me.....I don't like the pipe THAT much.....also kinda fixed the issue with the rubber grip from an ink pen I got from the library...

11. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I had one that cracked. I superglued it back together and it lasted a pretty long time before breaking again. If you're ambitious you could get a stem blank (~$3) from PIMO or somewhere and try to fit it to the Omega. Or you could find another Omega on eBay and get it for parts. If you look long enough I'm sure you could find something.

12. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

The Rubber I have over it is working, despite closing completely if I bite down on the end.....makes for a nice chew toy also

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.