1. This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is not a forum for seeking or soliciting services.

Pipe Sweetener

Discussion in 'Repair, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Woody, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Woody

Woody I'm working on it. Admin

Does pipe sweetener do any good? I have a couple old pipes and usually can smoke a couple bowls and they clear but I have a couple stubborn ones and was wondering about maybe trying pipe sweetener...

I've cleaned them with vodka but they still have that old pipe smell.
  2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Clumsy Poop!

No idea.

The one method that guys do seem to like is the salt/alcohol soak to draw that crap outta the briar. I've never done it because I just don't smoke any of my pipes that much, or have pipes that old, I guess.
  3. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Member

Personally I never really liked commercial pipe sweeteners. I've only recently started using ISO 91 alcohol. My favorite "sweetener" is Devil's Spring Vodka(160 proof). No aftertaste and it'll remove car paint :)
  4. Woody

Yeah I should try the alcohol and salt treatment first being I have the stuff here already.
  5. SBritton

SBritton Member

My friend Vodka is king. Did you see that episode of Myth Busters? They used it as mouthwash and feet cleaner. It nearly outperformed Crest Mouthwash. And 160 proof anything, would remove you from you if ya get what I mean. :)
  6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Clumsy Poop!

I'm absolutely fanatical about cleaning my pipes so I think I've never run into the need for really sponging them out. I did do one fleamarket kaywoodie that was totally plugged, I used a lot of acetone and about 20 bristly cleaners. Got it very very clean but couldn't get the idea out of my head that it was a filthy beast.

But I use vodka or some JD or rum on a pipe cleaner after every couple of smokes, and dry pipe cleaners every smoke, with a break-down of the pipe basically as soon as it's cool.
    TheMadMan likes this.
  7. Woody

They're clean, I'm just trying to get that old smell out of them.
  8. piper965

piper965 Sales Account

Same here, I clean mine after every smoke. I let them cool then pull the stems and use bee pipe sweetner through the stem then a dry cleaner, I also use the sweetner in the shank of the pipe. Then pick your favorite whiskey or scotch, dip the cleaner in it and do a swab on the inside if the bowl just to keep it fresh.

Back on topic: I would run a salt/alcohol treatment on the pipe. Sweetner has always been more of a preventative measure than a way to bring a pipe back to life. I would highly recommend it on stems though! Does wonders :)

Also, if you do the alcohol salt treatment, it will take about 4 smokes to get the salty taste out of the pipe. Just FYI
  9. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

If it's the smell you're wanting to get rid of, I remember sometime back there was someone that made a post about a mail-in ozone treatment -- guaranteed to get rid of all smells!
  10. Marc

Marc Member

Morning sun and fresh air do wonders for rejuvenating a cob bowl and I don't see why it wouldn't work on a briar bowl. Repeat as necessary. I also used Bee Pipe Sweetener to clean and freshen up my pipe stems and shanks from time to time. I never use any kind of alcohol, pipe sweetener or salt in the bowls of my pipes.
  11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

Salt and alcohol is the way to go for that.Theres nothing that I know of that will work better for you.
  12. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Just make sure that you use kosher salt and the highest percent alcohol (91?) that you can find.
  13. Woody

I'm definitely going to try a salt/alcohol treatment before doing anything else.
  14. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Member

Woody, StrongIrish made a post a while ago where he stated that he uses cotton balls in lieu of salt and gets better results!
  15. Marc

Marc Member

Good luck! :)
  16. Njemt527

Njemt527 New Member

I used Honey bourbon. Theres wild turkey and evan williams brands. EB is 10 bucks cheaper. And I amp it up with some ever clear. It'll clean, sweeten, and chase away most ghost, except those demonic ones. Good for fits, coughs and warts. Won't rip tag or snag ether lol,
  17. WillH

WillH Member

Geeze posted in APRIL! How'd ya do?

I've used Brebbia pipe cleaner - it's good!

I don't do this often because I don't' need too but....... look at the retort idea. It's works and I can't imagine any stubborn pipe not yielding to the treatment.

Will
  18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

:)
    If the job is done right,there wont be any salt residue or taste. :thumb:
  19. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

:thumb: Everclear is 95%.Thats why it's recommended by the old pros. :)
    Spillproof likes this.
  20. Stoked

Stoked Member

I use Everclear on my good briar pipes. For my many cheapo corn cobs I use Isopropyl alcohol which works just as good but leaves a slight aftertaste for the first smoke. Be careful about using salt. This is from pipedia:

What can I do when my pipe "turns sour"?
    A pipe, properly cared for, will probably outlast its owner. Occasionally, however, a pipe may begin to taste bitter or "sour." Sometimes this is caused by not allowing the pipe sufficient time to "rest" between smokes; other times, no cause can be determined with certainty. In any event, such a pipe can usually be rejuvenated by applying the "Professor's Pipe-Sweetening Treatment," publicized by Dennis Congos.

First, find some salt (non-iodized is preferred, but not essential), some alcohol (preferably "Everclear," or some other form of near-pure, non-denatured ethanol), and a place to rest your pipe in a semi-upright position. Insert a pipe cleaner into the stem of the pipe so that it extends into the shank. Fill the bowl to the rim with salt and drip or carefully pour alcohol into the bowl until the salt is just saturated. Try not to get any alcohol on the pipe's exterior, as this may damage the finish; any spills should be wiped up immediately. Leave the pipe alone for a day or two. After this time the salt will have turned brown from the absorption of "tars" from the bowl. Thoroughly clean all salt from the bowl and set the pipe aside overnight to dry completely. Your pipe will now be revitalized, and all traces of bitterness should be gone.

WARNING: Many people swear by this process, but the procedure is not risk-free. Some people have had pipes crack after this treatment, particularly when they allowed the salt and alcohol mixture to enter the pipe's shank and/or when they left the mixture in the pipe for several days. Any pipe with significant monetary or sentimental value should be sent to a professional pipe repair person.

You might also want to give the stem draft-hole a thorough cleaning by periodically cleaning it with a scrubbing bristle pipecleaner dipped in alcohol or a "pipe sweetener".

Sour Pipe Clean