Pipe Tobacco 'Aroma' Issue When Smoking?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Dispatch, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dispatch

Dispatch Member

I have a question I've been wondering about for sometime. Maybe someone here can figure out a solution to or maybe make a suggestion. Why is it when no matter how sweet or blended the tobacco I choose to smoke it smells "to me" the same way evertime. It smells like burning tobacco(nothing more), and not the nice distinctive aroma it smelled like when I bought it in the jar or pouch? Although others around me not smoking say they enjoy the savory aroma of what the tobacco really smells like? :dunno:

2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

In order to experience the actual smell of the pipe, you have to leave the building for a moment and then return. I don't know why that is; I suspect it's because you're tasting the smoke and the senses of the tongue and nose are closely intertwined in the brain and thus get muddled somehow.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Glad to see ya! The ales are over there in the fridge.

3. telltime

telltime Active Member

First, it's not going to smell exactly as it does in the jar or pouch. You are changing it, chemically, and it's going to smell different. Think about it this way, does steak cooking on a grill smell the same as the raw piece of meat you just unwrapped?

Maybe your taste buds are putting you too close to the aroma. If others around you are smelling it, then rest assured that aroma is there.

4. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

Someone correct me if I have just totally lost sight of the important things in life, but -

What the tobacco tastes like to you while you are smoking it is the only aspect I am that worried about. If I want to smell tobacco instead of tasting it, I will sniff someone else's pipe while being smoked.

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Agreed. If a new piper is attracted to pipe smoking by the scents of pipe smoking alone, he may find that it's diminished by his own olfactory experiences with it. It is what it is.

6. Dispatch

Dispatch Member

This is what I mean. With the exception of a slight acidic taste when smoking sweeter tobacco, a little less with the English or dryer types, the after taste left behind is always the same. Don't get me wrong, I savor smoking my pipes for the enjoyment and relaxation it gives me, I always wondered why this was the case. I though maybe I was doing something wrong(puffing too much or tapping it down too much etc.),in my smoking process all these years. Am I the only one who experiences this situation?

7. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Are you puffing very gently on the pipe and letting the smoke escape through your nose? If you are already doing this, perhaps your nose, like mine, is somewhat burned-out after too much Perique.

8. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

It's never going to smell the same to you. I'm an aromatic man myself because I love the smell when I open the tin but I've learned that the tin at rest and the bowl in action are two very different things. Other people notice the aroma more because they are more removed from the bowl and they don't have the overwhelming (good) tobacco taste in their mouths. All they have to go by is the aerated volatiles suspended in the air. Their smoke also hasn't passed through the tobacco and ash under the cherry and been concentrated by the stem.

I don't think going out of the room and coming in again will be much help. I've never noticed a difference and I think it's because my head is still full of the directly smoked flavor. The only way is to have someone else smoke a pipe with your tobacco while you abstain. If you can hold out, you may learn why your friends are complimenting your tobacco choice. Burning tobacco smells different to non-smokers than to smokers, as anyone who hates cigarettes will tell you (ad nauseum). The good thing about pipe tobacco is that most people enjoy it on either end of the bowl.

Cheers and welcome.
    WK

9. telltime

telltime Active Member

Well, for me aroma is part of the tasting experience. It's part of the process. I'll give you two examples to prove what I mean:

1. If I smell something good cooking (or even a good pipe), my mouth will start to water.
    2. I can't taste hardly anything when I have a bad cold.

Smell is definitely part of the taste process.

10. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

You have sufficiently twisted what I said :goodjob: but we can go with your example. How often can you smell your food once you have it in your mouth? Yes, your ability to smell is linked with you tasting things. But, if the tobacco tastes good to you, if it's aroma is something you don't like, I doubt you suddenly think it is bad tasting. I would have to say it is a rare person that can smoke a pipe and simultaneously smell the smoke emanating from the pipe like someone who is not smoking. :thumbsu:

11. Dispatch

Dispatch Member

Wouldn't this be considered Cruel And Unusual Punishment? :startle:

12. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Yup. I've always found it to be.

13. mhnd Al

mhnd Al Member

I faced that problem at the beginning, but then I started to taste the tobacco well by practice and calm smoking, and learned a lesson: never buy the tobacco for its smell, I always check the reviews first.
    But as u say that you smoke for years, I doubt that my simple hints would help

14. kiltedboywonder

kiltedboywonder Member

I can say, I was first attracted to pipe smoking because of the smell. My friend let me puff on his, and I enjoyed the taste, which was the straw that broke the camels back. But the taste while smoking is very different from the smell while not.

15. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Try C&D Autumn Evening. The pouch aroma, room note, smoke and aftertaste are consistent. What you smell in the pouch is what you get. An awesome experience!

16. telltime

telltime Active Member

Not trying to twist anything, honest... but to this point, isn't that what "snorking" is all about? Wouldn't that give us all the ability to smell what were simultaneously smoking?

I have yet to try anything that absolutely stinks to me that I like the taste of... be it food, tobacco, drink, etc. My nose and palate tend to agree with each other.

17. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

It was said in a smiling, chuckling good natured way....If I ever have an actual problem with something someone says I'll take it up in private messages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.