Pipe Tobacco Nicotine Level

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by JeremyLangford, Oct 18, 2009.

1. JeremyLangford

JeremyLangford New Member

I am definitely a noob when it comes to smoking tobacco. A few months ago, after I graduated high school, me and some friends went to the beach and while we were there we all bought cigars and smoked them every night. I've never pictured myself smoking, but once I learned that you don't necessarily breathe cigar or pipe tobacco into your lungs, I saw little harm in trying it out. I enjoyed the experience and ended up with a major nicotine buzz from my first cigar.

Now that I'm in college, me and the same group of friends went on another similar trip last weekend but this time a couple people had some pipes and different flavored pipe tobaccos. I enjoyed the pipe more than I did the cigars due to the different milder taste and the smoothness. But one thing that bothered me is that I couldn't get any hint of a nicotine buzz. No matter how long I smoked, I never felt anything like I did from the cigars.

Is it normal for most pipe tobacco to have less nicotine than in cigars? I know that the nicotine level varies from different pipe tobaccos but do most pipe smokers not care about getting a nicotine buzz and stay interested in the taste alone?

Thanks
  2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Stay Calm - Press On Moderator

Speaking only for myself, I don't like high-nic smokes for their own sake. There are a couple of butt-kickers I do like, but for the flavor, not the head rush. Same with cigars - there are some great stogies out there some of which make your head swim and most of which don't.

I like a pipe or two a day but, according to circumstances, I might not smoke for several days at a time. I get no sense of withdrawal as with cigs or dip.
  3. IHT

IHT Member

most bulk aromatic tobaccos are very weak.
    there are a number of pipe tobaccos that are stronger than the strongest cigars i've ever had (including some of the notorious super strong cuban cigars, like an RyJ Cazadore, or Partagas Lusitania, etc, etc). if i can smoke a double corona or Salamone size cigar and not feel much, then turn around and smoke a teeny-tiny bowl of pipe tobacco and feel hammered (not the cigar then pipe back to back, seperate sittings), there's some out there that'll kick you in the pants.
    there are plenty of pipe smokers who smoke only the high nicotine tobaccos, or that's what they go after most often. having said that, they won't smoke the tobacco if it doesn't taste good.
  4. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Member

First welcome to the forum Jeremy. 2nd do you know what kind of cigars you first smoked? Just like cigars, cigs and any other form of tobacco some pipe blends are stronger than others. If your 1st cigar experience was with a stronger (heavy on the ligero tobacco) cigar that would have packed a larger punch than (as IHT said) a weak bulk aromatic tobacco. If your looking for a list of strong tobaccos (at least for cigars) PM me and I can give you a list of the ones I enjoy from time to time. Other things that can affect how your body reacts can include where you drinking? full stomach? etc...
    Take this with a grain of salt as we all have our own motivations for doing things. Most of us do not take to the pipe for "nicotine buzz" but rather the relaxing nature of enjoying a pipe and fine tobaccos. The ritual of filling your bowl, lighting/tamping, smokeing and then caring for your pipe are all part of the allure of the hobby. Just my $0.02 and as I said feel free to disagree.
  5. JeremyLangford

JeremyLangford New Member

The cigar that gave me a buzz was a LGC Serie R. When people say they smoke pipes to relax, I always assumed that one of the factors that caused the relaxation was a nicotine buzz. But now I can see that there are lots of cigar/pipe smokers who don't care about the nicotine buzz.
  6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Clumsy Poop!

I can't smoke very many cigars - they floor me. Knees shake, feel woozy, etc.

Pipe tobaccos can be found in a range from almost nicotine-less to so strong you won't be able to finish a bowl.

I smoke for the taste, and the pass-time. Strongest tobacco I use is probably Mac Baren Navy Flake, which is not even on the radar, as far as strong tobaccos go.
  7. IHT

IHT Member

Rugby had a great reply...
    i will say that if it's your first cigar, and you're not use to nicotine at all, just about anything will have an effect on you.

there's a swiss site that has their own little "nicotine (strength) chart" that they use for all their tobaccos they sell.
    http://www.synjeco.com/pipesandtobaccos/tobaccos/tobaccoall.htm
    i link to that page because when you click on the links on the left to navigate, it doesn't change the URL at all.
  8. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Member

That's a great site, I found that info really interesting, thanks for the link! :D

Andrew
  9. Bumgardnern

Bumgardnern New Member

I personally don't really care about the nicotine level. I smoke the tobacco that I think taste good. I don't smoke that often. I smoke when I have the time to sit down and have an enjoyable experience. If I am going to have to rush or be bothered I wont smoke. I could care less about the nicotine buzz.
  10. Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe Member

I doubt any pipe tobacco would floor me at this point. Years of cigarette smoking, and most recently, pretty regular cigar smoking has gotten the tolerance up to a level where a nice bold cigar will just give a relaxing feeling.

Some of the English tobacco blends gave me the same feeling. YMMV.
  11. IHT

IHT Member

i've never gotten that from an English blend before.

for me, it's one of the blends that's made of a majority of those African fire cured leaves, like Dark Flake unscented, or Sliced Brown Twist, or a couple of the ropes. i like the tastes of 'em...
  12. Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe Member

I couldn't even tell you what it was because a friend put it together for me.

But what you describe there sounds nice....
  13. Tinderfoot

Tinderfoot New Member

IHT has it right: If you want to try a few tabaks that will kick your butt with Vitamin N, try
    SG BROWN No. 4 Rope, Peterson's Irish Flake, or G&H Dark Plug. Any one of these will have you on your knees crying for your mama in no time!

A bit less, but still with a pretty stout kick, is Dunhill Nightcap (if you can still find any) or G&H Coniston Cut Plug.

Save these for when you have developed a tolerance for Nic and smoke SLOOOOOWWWWLLLY!
  14. SailorJack

SailorJack New Member

Todd is a Wussy!
  15. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Clumsy Poop!

Pretty sure I said that already. :D
  16. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy New Member

I never tried this, but I heard somewhere that if you sprinkled nasal snuff into the tobacco you filled your pipe with, it would increase the nicotine levels in the bowl and cause a greater rush. I would think that you would need to properly pair the two or use a non-flavored snuff. This suggestion may also be one of those old-timer gems of wisdom that are not really wise.
  17. tallgees 26

tallgees 26 New Member

I've smoked a bowl of straght perique once and thats only thing That ever gave me an buzz out of a pipe. Being that said if you keep smoking pipes and cigars you will lose that felling of geting buzzed. your body will get ues to the nicotine. now if you relly want a buzz in the summer go and pick tobacco for somebody in the morring befor the dew has dryed off and you well get one hell of a buzz.:icon_dizzy:
  18. jlong

jlong New Member

There is nothing I love more than a good nicotene bitch slapping. I've found that I get immune to the nicotene kick and have to bump it up a notch to get the kick back. GLP Robusto kicked my butt for awhile but that wore off so I switched to Key Largo and that wore off. So now I have some G&H Brown Bogie rope and Five Brothers on order which is supposed to be as strong as it gets. After that, I'll probably have to go cold turkey for a month and hopefully my tolerance level will decrease.

If you liked cigars and liked the nicotene buzz, you might consider something like GL Pease Key Largo or Robusto. Both have cigar leaf and have high nicotene levels.

I used to smoke cigars but never had any that tasted as good as some pipe blends out there. Especially English/Balkan Blends.