1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pipe tobacco tins & "old world" retro art

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Captain Eight, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Is it just me that finds something artistic and old worldy in pipe tobacco tins? When I first started smoking a pipe, not very long ago, I had assumed the pipe tobacco tins had old world designs just because it's a bunch of old fart stuff (no offense). ;)

Now I'm starting to think that they're doing it on purpose, or at-least consciously continuing the design tradition. I really like some of the designs on the tins, I find them very interesting just from an artistic/design perspective, and I'd liketo see if people would like to post pictures of their favorite tobacco tin designs.

I'll post a couple of examples to get the ball rolling. The first one looks like it's advert circa 1950-t60. The second looks to me more like 1930s-1940s. Funny to think these things are actually being produced in 2011, not 1940.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I have a real hard time throwing away the empty tins, especially with the labels on them. So, I sort of preserve the experience.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ed
    Puff

3. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Here are some oldies:
    [​IMG]
    I guess the L. J. Peretti is still in business and sells mixture no. 500. -David

4. Stryder

Stryder Member

Get that cat away from from the tobak...it probably thinks it is a new litter box! ;)

dwaugh likes this.
  5. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I collect tins new and old. I am constantly looking at em on the bay. Anyone got any old ones they dont need or want, I can take em off your hands.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I think the tobacco companies know that we're a bunch of throwback old-timey bastards, and suckers for yesteryearisms.

TxPipesmoker likes this.
  7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

And while I enjoy the art, I also enjoy Mac Baren's "plain brown paper" packaging approach. Wild colors like tan and mahogany. And no "art" at all.

8. Stryder

Stryder Member

Great idea for a collage to hang in favorite smoking room or make a blow up poster of favorite tin/art.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.