Pipe tobacco tins & "old world" retro art

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Captain Eight, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Is it just me that finds something artistic and old worldy in pipe tobacco tins? When I first started smoking a pipe, not very long ago, I had assumed the pipe tobacco tins had old world designs just because it's a bunch of old fart stuff (no offense). ;)

Now I'm starting to think that they're doing it on purpose, or at-least consciously continuing the design tradition. I really like some of the designs on the tins, I find them very interesting just from an artistic/design perspective, and I'd liketo see if people would like to post pictures of their favorite tobacco tin designs.

I'll post a couple of examples to get the ball rolling. The first one looks like it's advert circa 1950-t60. The second looks to me more like 1930s-1940s. Funny to think these things are actually being produced in 2011, not 1940.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I have a real hard time throwing away the empty tins, especially with the labels on them. So, I sort of preserve the experience.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ed
    Puff

3. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Here are some oldies:
    [​IMG]
    I guess the L. J. Peretti is still in business and sells mixture no. 500. -David

4. Stryder

Stryder Member

Get that cat away from from the tobak...it probably thinks it is a new litter box! ;)

dwaugh likes this.
  5. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I collect tins new and old. I am constantly looking at em on the bay. Anyone got any old ones they dont need or want, I can take em off your hands.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I think the tobacco companies know that we're a bunch of throwback old-timey bastards, and suckers for yesteryearisms.

TxPipesmoker likes this.
  7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

And while I enjoy the art, I also enjoy Mac Baren's "plain brown paper" packaging approach. Wild colors like tan and mahogany. And no "art" at all.

8. Stryder

Stryder Member

Great idea for a collage to hang in favorite smoking room or make a blow up poster of favorite tin/art.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.