Pipe Tobacco...visual Help?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ArmedOctopus, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I read pipe tobacco reviews and notice that guys are able to point out the various tobaccos in a blend (visually). Is there any way some of you guys could post pictures for us newbs that would show us what they look like? I can spot cavendish by the way it looks, but mostly by its velvety feel. When it comes to Burley vs Virginia or Latakia, I'm lost.

I just envisioned a post with several nice close up shots of various types, maybe even including the various cuts, with labels. If it turned out really nice, perhaps it could get pinned as a reference guide?

(And there is always the slight possibility that this has been done and I'll feel like a fool. Fingers crossed....)

dBear and sonarman like this.
  2. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

3. Tate

Tate Member

4. ArmedOctopus

5. ArmedOctopus

That site is okay, but the pictures arent really nice and hi-res.

6. ArmedOctopus

I posted a thread, some guy brought popcorn, and nobody came.

Was wondering too if in the list someone could give a description of the taste and aroma of each tobacco. I've been trying blends with various types and I cannot determine what I am tasting. Latakia tastes like what? What is the one that is spicy?

7. Tate

Tate Member

A lot of what you're asking has been answered ad nauseum so many people may not be overly motivated to respond. The Latakia will taste very smokey. Virginia can taste "bright" and also rich but mainly it will add a sweetness. Burley adds a nutty robust flavor that develops throughout the bowl and may seem harsh towards the end. Perique will be musty and add a spicey flavor on the back of the tongue. Orientals.. Well I think they mostly taste like cigarette tobacco. Hope this helps.

8. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

:xd::haha::rofl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.