1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pipe type comparison

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by E Mursed, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E Mursed

E Mursed Member

I put in an order today for a pipe that is made in Holland, and I am under the impression that the bowl is ceramic at it's heart.

My question is in regards to heat. I have a cob now, and smoked a bowl of CH in it today. It got a little hotter than my briar, but manageable. Is the ceramic pipe going to have similar heat characteristics as my cob, or am I way off in assuming there is a similarity.

As an aside, the cob was great with the CH.

2. zwolanek

zwolanek Member

Carter Hall in a cob is classic. Unfortunately, CH bites me really bad - it's the sugar. Other OTCs don't - Half and Half, Sir Walter, and Prince Albert are all nice to me.
    I'm pretty sure the heat index will rise for you in a ceramic bowl. I have some The Pipes and notice that in those quite a bit.

3. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

The Dutch ceramics have a double bowl design...on the order of Calabash pipes...with an air space between the inner and outer bowl. This keeps them fairly cool, but they *can* get hot! What is the brand/ manufacturer on that pipe?

4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I've never had Carter Hall bite me. I would think the ceramic pipe would be similar to a clay in regard to the bowl getting hot.

I've learned proper smoking cadence in practing with a clay. With some practice, you can actually smoke your ceramic or clay without the bowl becoming too hot to hold or touch. It's a beautiful thing!

5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Let us know how it works out for you. A pic would be nice too.

6. E Mursed

E Mursed Member

It is a Zenith off of Etsy...

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/98...rans_email&utm_campaign=shipping_notification

My family is from Dutch descent and I thought it would be good to have a pipe from my families homeland.

7. E Mursed

E Mursed Member

Received the pipe over the weekend - it was a sale from rekamepip on his Etsy store.

First I have to say that the pipe was shipped fast and packaged very good - kudos to John.

I loaded it with some Peterson's Luxury Blend and was greeted by a very clean draw.
    The Luxury Blend is a great tobacco with Burley, Black Cavendish, Virginia and a honey vanilla flavor.
    The pipe smoked great and only got a little hot when I got aggressive with the draw.

Being of Dutch descent I am glad to have a piece of my heritage.
    This pipe does not cake, so it doesn't get ghosted and let's you taste the tobacco in it's pure sense.
    Really happy with my purchase and I will be using this pipe to test any new tobaccos I get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.