Pipe VS Cigar

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by kurtis42501, Jul 14, 2011.

1. kurtis42501

kurtis42501 New Member

Hi all. Was looking for a little help, as i am fairly new to pipes. While i enjoy smoking my pipe (an Erik Nording) while sipping a glass of bourbon with friends. i am having trouble finding a tobacco that suits my cigar taste buds. I enjoy a pepper, leather, oak taste with some body. i have tried Crown Acheviment, Captain Black, Sutliff's Great Outdoors, Frog Morton & Astleys no88 to name a few. With Sutliff's being the best so far. Any help would be great. Thanks Kurtis
  2. Smokey

Smokey Member

Key Largo and Bankers have a nice cigarlike flavor to me. There are a couple others out there that are supposed to be good, but I have not had the chance to try them yet.
  3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Burlatvaperaro !!!! Mayor

The " pepper, leather, oak taste with some body " ... I'd say Petersons Irish Oak or Orlik Kentucky. . but being you say Great outdoors is what you like best so far ... heck , that throws me off cause it's low nicotine and light bodied and sweet ish . Really , most everything fits in between those two . There's alot of people here to suggest though
  4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Can you clarify 'cigar taste buds' a little? Like Ruffinogold, you threw a monkey wrench into my preconceptions.
  5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner One Burley SOB

I'd suggest any English or Balkan blend, especially anything with Perique, and particularly the medium to strong English blends. These types of pipe tobies make me think of Maduros. Half the fun of pipe smoking is in the exploration of different blends. Just pick a company, any company, and start trying their English and Balkan (or even Oriental) blends. You're bound to find a few that you like. I think Solomon's Presbyterian Mixture, Gawith's Skiff and Squadron Leader, Stokkebye's English Oriental Supreme, Peterson's Old Dublin, and Dunhill's Mixture 965 are all thumpin' good ones.
  6. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Active Member

Speaking as a fairly recent cigar turned pipe smoker. Irish oak is a good suggestion. Other blends I enjoy are mostly english IRC gourmet english, c&d star of the east. After smoking a pipe for a couple of years I still enjoy the occasional cigar but the pipe offers so much larger spectrum of flavors. Happy smoking.

Brian
  7. nesta

nesta Kendal Dark

This is what got me hooked, and why I believe I persevered through so many tongue "burns" and shattered dreams until I got to a place where I preferred smoking a pipe to a cigar 90% of the time....well, that and I'd feel like a damn fool spending so much money and then not learning to appreciate it! Like that time I dropped 60 bucks on a bottle of absinthe...oh, I drank it, but I hated it....should have just spent the 30 on a bottle of Pernod instead.....grumble.....

But anyway, I've never tried some of the so-called "cigar blends," but there are a handful of blends featuring cigar leaf. From what I've heard, most of them only hint at the flavor of a cigar, and will not provide an experience akin to smoking a cigar in pipe tobacco form. I suggest simply sampling as many different types of tobaccos as you can, and when you find something that you like, or something you see a lot of potential to like, explore that style further. If you're anything like me, you'll find you can thoroughly enjoy a very wide assortment of tobaccos every bit as much as you enjoy smoking cigars - and at a tiny fraction of the cost.
  8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Stay Calm - Press On Moderator

Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Flake, unscented.
  9. BradNTX

BradNTX Hamborger Veermaster Hog

Peterson's Irish Oak
    Escudo
    Mac Baren Roll Cake
    McClelland Royal Cajun Special
    Just for Him Old Toby
    GL Pease Maltese Falcon

Sounds like Virginia-Perique blends might hit the spot for you, but there are others that you will probably like with the profiles you listed. Some even have a little cigar leaf in them.

Do a search on different blends here on PSF and on http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/index.cfm.
  10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Burlatvaperaro !!!! Mayor

+1 on that call .Yeah , thats a good one if yer comming from cigars . Had a bowl of it last night .. pretty stout .
    +1 for the rollcake as well !
  11. nesta

nesta Kendal Dark

I was thinking some perique spiciness may be a good call. I was just thinking though, does anybody have any info on aging pipe tobacco in Spanish cedar? I was thinking perhaps if you had an airtight glass jar humidor like people sometimes keep for cigars in offices, and then stuffed some empty aluminum cigar tubes - the kind often lined with a Spanish cedar sleeve - with a vaper blend and let it age for a year or so, some of the cedary notes may work their way into the blend in addition to letting the Virginias age a bit. This would be costly (have to buy the cigars afterall) and time consuming, but I see no reason for it not to be worthwhile
  12. kurtis42501

kurtis42501 New Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Ruffinogold & Yinyang, the Great Outdoors i tried had been setting out and drew some moisture, probably giving it a fuller tasts, dont know for sure. I dont know if it helps but the cigars i smoke are Man of War, Rockey Patel 1961, diesel, 5 Vegas AAA. Something that will stand up to Pappy Van Winkle 23Yr. Like i said still learning about pipes & pipe tobacco. thanks Kurtis
  13. alchemist

alchemist Member

Maybe it's just me, but I always thought G.L. Pease's Cumberland had a sort of cigary thing going on.
  14. Burner

Burner Member

Gl Pease Robusto sounds like it might be cigarry.......
  15. primitiveman

primitiveman New Member

I've just finished a packet of Amsterdamer, which I really enjoyed and found very cigar-like in flavour. I think it contains a small proportion of cigar leaf. Might be worth a try, if you can find it. I don't know how widely available it is outside Europe.
  16. ryan65

ryan65 Member

i would give peterson irish flake a shot. Strong as hell though, but dam good stuff.
  17. Waino

Waino Lords humble cuckoo

English or Balkan. Absolutely. I smoked cigars many years.
  18. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

The pepper and leather that you like is not going to be found in most pipe tobaccos that contain cigar leaf. A real Pease expert, (maybe DMkerr), could steer you to a punchy Pease blend, my reccomendation would be Pipeworks and Wilke 400. It's got the spicy, smokey leather (latakia and yenidje), and the pepper punch (perique) that you seem to want.

The qualities and characteristics of pipes V. cigars is tricky, I don't think that you'll ever end up with, or want to end up with something in your pipe that tastes just like your favorite cigar. While I can find similiarities between a Partagas Serie 2 and a bowl of Odyssey, that's not what it's about. As you try more pipe blends, you may, and probably will find yourself enjoying pipe tobaccos that bear no resemblance to the character of your best stogies. Have fun, and good luck.
    Rewster66 and Mister Moo like this.
  19. jeff394

jeff394 Member

I think Billy Budd contains some cigar leaf, though I'm not sure in what proportion.
  20. RTOdhner

RTOdhner One Burley SOB

Yezzir. I could rarely pick up the nuance on most cigars because they were so damn expensive that I couldn't smoke enough of them to really get it. Once you lay out the initial investment for a handful of pipes, and if you go the cob route that only runs about $40, the hobby/art itself is fairly inexpensive when compared to cigars (or cigs). And in exchange for that relatively small investment, you open the door to a universe of enjoyment and a huge spectrum of flavors and nuance. Even at the rate of two or three tins per month, it's only gonna run you about $50 a month (and that's with shipping and handling). Having been a cigar smoker for several years and then going back to the pipes, I can say that cigars never gave me near as much enjoyment but they sure put a hurt on the wallet.

Going with briar pipes is where the price begins to climb. A good briar starts at about $70, and they can reach some really astronomical prices. However, the good ones are works of art and if treated right will be around long after the owner is gone. I've seen and handled some beautiful ciagrs, but they only last an hour or so until smoked down to the numb. I got to hold one of Sas's hand-crafted pipes (a bent apple sort of style) on 07/13/11 and was enchanted by it's sheer beauty - stunning grain and birdseye, beautiful finish, and wonderful lines. That will be around for hundreds of years. (And the cost was about the same as one box of Padron or Punch cigars).
    Rewster66 likes this.