1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pipes $100 $1000

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Badcompany, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

Hello Forum,
    Would the tobacco taste any beter in a $1000 pipe than a $100.
    Badcompany.

2. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Nope.......but it sure looks better in one.

4. rusty

rusty Member

Other than possibly passing a slight tase of what its made of, I dont think it would. But then Im new to pipes, just my thought.

5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

In my mind.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Generally speaking, there is a law of diminishing returns at play. Given a poor 2 dollar piece of briar and a pre-fab stem, Bo Nordh could still only "do so much" in terms of making a great smoker.

Really cheapo briars are not manufactured as well as more expensive ones, by and large. This can include raw materials and quality control. Can you get a great smoker for 30 bucks? Yes. But it's hit and miss.

Up around a hundred bucks, you are starting to pay for a pipe that someone has paid a little more attention to, and at 150 you should be getting a very good pipe indeed. And I'd suggest that this is approximately where the diminishing returns begins to apply. It's possible that with wonder briar and wonder skill, a guy might make a pipe that is marginally better than, say, an off the rack Mastro de Paja, for example. Marginally. So you begin to pay 100% more money for 1% more smoking enjoyment, perhaps.

At some point, you are paying for briar rarity/beauty, and artisan time. And that's cool, there's some unbelievably wicked pipes out there. But by and large, it's tough to beat the mid-grade crowd in terms of smoking value.

Now, I am suggesting this 150 dollar range for a number of reasons. I am fussy about briar, fussy about stems, fussy about fit and finish. And while a Grabow might just smoke as well as a ser jacopo, it will also tarnish immediately, the stem will oxidize, etc. So to me, for serious return on investment, I need something "better", overall better. This allows me to enjoy the pipe a long time, and know that it will still be there next time too.

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Taste is incredibly subjective. To me, a $3 cob loaded with 2015 "tastes" better than say a $30 Kaywoodie with 2015 and IMO the cob smokes "better" which is also quite subjective.

$100 vs. $1000, it's just a number. To the piper, true piper, value is what it "means" to the piper to own "that" pipe. Putting a price/number on a pipe in the showroom case for sale, established monetary value for selling. Whereas a pipe that's become your best #1, is it valued more, to you, than what you paid?

I don't like to look at a pipe as a "$100" or "$1000" pipe. If I had to liquidate or turn over some pipes to raise some funds, then a different story.

You can get a $1000 pipe that's an incredible work of art but that's about it, it can smoke like a baseballbat but it's just art! So, much more comes into play regarding pricing........it doesn't guarantee you're getting a better pipe because it costs more moolah.

:0laugh:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

8. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Would it "taste" better I doubt it. However since I do not own and I probably will never pay $1000 for one pipe unless I have already paid off my house and my daughters college I really would not know. When I do buy a $1000 pipe I most definitely will let u know. :thumb:

9. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

++11. Puff makes more sense to me every time I read his replies. It's starting to give me the willies.
    :velho:

Sas has made sense as long as I've been checking in and his answer is the same as it was a month or so ago. I'd bank on it.

10. WillH

WillH Active Member

It's all about how one wants to enjoy smoking pipes. If one has the resources and enjoys owning a truly unique pipe, then that's important to them. If one has a budget then perhaps a bargain pipe that looks good, has decent grain and smokes well - it a winner. We all have our own value threshold - that monetary line we can't, or won't, cross. I know people with millions who drive 25 year old cars and I know people who own Humvee's that can't afford them!

As with all things it all boils done to what one values, smoking qualities has damn little to do with it in most cases, IMO.

Will

11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I look at mid grade Italian pipes as the Ford Ranger of the pipe world. Pretty capable, and pretty affordable.

And yes, I drive a Ranger too.

12. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'm with Sas on this one - I think beyond a certain price point you are paying for looks rather than smoking qualities.

Mind you, if you have the money and this is "your thing" then by all means go for it - there truly are worse things you could spend your money on,

Happy smoking whatever

Gerry

13. Barako

Barako Member

Beyond 100 dollars I think what you pay for is the aesthetics and history. The best thing is getting a $1000 pipe at a $100 or so price... gotta love ebay :eek:hyeah:

14. WillH

WillH Active Member

This topic has been debated many times on forums - that's okay! There is just no crisp defining line that shows smoking qualities Vs price.

I do believe there is a line at about $150 and another one at about $300. Above the $300 point it's pretty much aesthetics. A good serviceable pipe can be purchased for $150 or less. A good custom pipe can be obtained for about $300 or less. Above $300 the sky's the limit.

Will

I have a old '84' Toyota 4x4! :eek:hyeah:

15. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

I have a old '84' Toyota 4x4! :)

And does that smoke well!! :eek:hyeah:

16. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

only if you line the cake with opiates.

17. WillH

WillH Active Member

There's enough tobacco spilled on the floor over the years it should smoke well! It's well aged and seasoned, been rolled twice and never driven on the highway. I don't think it's ever been outta four wheel drive. Just like a good pipe it's comfortable. Smells like a tobacco shop inside.... :)

Will

18. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Awesome truck. That's hilarious.

19. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Does it come with the dog????? :0laugh:

20. WillH

WillH Active Member

Dog? What dog?

Will

Thread Status: