1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pipes and smells....

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by powell0892, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powell0892

powell0892 Member

So I have been smoking a pipe now for the past year or so but just wanted to know do all pipe give off a "foul" odor after being smoked several times or is it just my cheap pipes? Am I not cleaning thoroughly? Sorry I know this may seem a bit weird but I figured this community would be the best to ask. Thank you for your help

2. Njemt527

Njemt527 Member

If your smoking english blends youll get a bit of a smell. If you only have a few briars and smoke them quite often with no rest this can happen. I wipe my frequent smokers stem down on the inside with pipe cleaners dipped in high proof burbon or ever clear. Make sure you run a cleaner through em when your done smoking. If that dosent take.care or the smell do a salt treatment and throw a couple of cobs into your rotation so your briars can rest .

3. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Hmm I only smoke on the weekend so it shouldn't be from frequent use, I will try to clean it with some alcohol later would Crown Royal suffice? What exactly is a salt treatment?

4. fuerte91

fuerte91 Member

Could just be the tobacco. The pipe i use for Key Largo smells like complete a$$

5. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Haha that could be it I have just had house blends in here from my local store so that could be it, any way of getting rid of it so I do not smell and taste it anymore.

6. WillH

WillH Active Member

None of my pipes smell! That's not a boast or exaggeration either. Sure they smell like tobacco and pipe, but it's not an offensive sour smell. Matter-of-fact you'd need to put one of my pipes close to your nose to smell anything! A pipe that doesn't get smoked to the bottom of the bowl will stink! Don't know what else to say! Heat drives out the odors and improves the pipes overall smoking qualities. IMO.

Load the pipe properly with good quality tobacco and smoke it to the end - you shouldn't have any odor problems.

Will

7. thomas

thomas Member

It sounds to me like, due to the fact that you taste the smell as well, you need to clean your pipes. I would get some pipe sweetener (it should be 3 or 4 bucks at your local B&M) and dip a pipe cleaner in the sweetner before running the cleaner through the stem.

Good luck!

-Thomas

8. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I have had to salt treat one of my pipes in the past, all it really is is a way to totally clean out the entire pipe, the mixture of the salt and the alcohol draws out the nasty stuff from the whole pipe, i had to do it because the inside of my pipe was stained and as i smoked it it leaked out and had a nasty taste to it. I would say though to only do a salt treatment as a last resort, try a good alcohol treatment first and see if that clears it up. And with Crown Royal make sure it is a spirit you like because with a spirit like that it will leave behind a after taste of that liquor as you smoke, which alot of people do as well, to "sweeten" up a pipe.

9. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

I had an old pipe that had been used alot with OTC's probably not cleaned some times, and smelled worse than my dog.
    Do a search for the salt treatment and you'll find instructions.

Now my old pipe smells wonderful.

10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

+1 But once stink happens...

The Mister Moo Method, by the numbers:

1. If stinkpipe happens, try cleaning out the stem until clean with bristle pipecleaners dipped in 190-Everclear (my go to), booze or 91% isopropyl alcohol. Everclear is nice because it carries less water so, as a solvent, it cleans and dries faster.

2. If stem cleaning does not relieve stinkpipe move on to a gentle chamber-scouring with looped fluffy pipecleaners dipped in booze or isopropyl. Take care with booze near briar - a hint of alcohol on your pipe's exterior will strip finish in a heartbeat. Repeat process until looped cleaners come out of the chamber clean; let pipe dry thoroughly (12-24hrs) before smoking.

3. The almost-ultimate pipe-destinkification is soaking the chamber with booze and cottonballs (or kosher salt, no iodine is conventional wisdom). This is a procedure that needs to be done slowly and meticulously to avoid stripping any finish from your pipe. I doubt you'll need to bother with this procedure. It will sanitize and sweeten just about any pipe. The process can take hours to, maybe, 24-hours.

4. The ultimate process, a commercial rather than a hobbiest thing, is the pipe retort. A retort quickly introduces (and withdraws) hot alcohol to a pipe chamber, destinking and sanitizing quickly. A retort is nice tool when you have a lot of pipes to clean. For a guy at home with pipes only he smokes, a pipe retort is unnecessary.

11. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

Also if nothing else works, some pipe dealers (Walker Bros. comes to mind, and possibly others) offer ozone treatments to deodorize pipes. They claim high success rates for odor removal with ozone. The down side is you have to ship the offending pipes off to have the treatment done.

12. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Confession time: Sometimes, I smell the bowls of my pipes just because I like how they smell. Fortunately I haven't had a case of stinkpipe from my pipes, but I regularly clean them with booze, what a fun multipurpose liquid!

13. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

If smoking several blends in one pipe, the OP
    may be experiencing ghosts as well. My sampler
    Savinelli is a melange of smells that would
    probably be nicer had I not stuck anything and
    everything in it to try. Hmm...maybe I should
    get another meer.

dp

14. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Thanks for all the help guys I now see several things that could be the problem,

1. This pipe was not broke in well
    2. It is hard to smoke to the bottom of this bowl, so i rarely do
    3. I have never cleaned it with alcohol
    4. It has been through several otc aro's

So I will try all things listed until I find on that works and keep you posted

15. WillH

WillH Active Member

But, but Moo you're ignoring the entertainment value of a retort! The mad scientists syndrome! All that bubbling, guggling, smoke and fire with liquid flowing back and forth. Ah yes food for the sole! :velho:

Will

16. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

hm I'm gonna have to get me one o' dese things... :xd:

17. caleb442

caleb442 Member

Do an eBay search for pipe retort. For 20 bucks plus shipping you can get two retorts with loads of cotton balls and pipe cleaners. I always use the retort for cleaning my pipes. I think it does a better job than the salt treatment with less mess. Plus the whole mad scientist element makes it more fun. Oh, and the profits go to abused animals. Good cause.

18. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Another point from your note, above. When you cannot smoke a pipe to the bottom, or if it keeps going out in the 2nd half, or if the last 1/4 of the bowl is usually soggy dottle, then it may be a result of a swamp-pipe, a first cousin to stinkpipe.

If/when you CAN'T smoke a pipe to the bottom, try half-fills for a couple of dozen bowls in an effort to enjoy a smoke but reduce the odds of sogginess. Less moisture in the heel and maybe more cake at the bottom means less likelyhood of swamp-pipe.

19. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Just figured I would drop in and say I started the salt treatment last night, had never done one before but it is/was neat, the salt almost instantly turned brown, I will still wait awhile before I empty thanks for the help guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.