pipes and tobacco on a airplane

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by christopher, May 16, 2011.

1. christopher

christopher New Member

Hay guys I'm going to hawaii in july and was wondering if I could bring a pipe or two and a couple tins of tobacco in my carry on baggadge. Thanks for any information and have a good day.
  2. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Shaken, not Stirred

I've traveled with pipes and tobacco in ziplocks, not tins. And NO lighters, matches or pipetools in carry-on. With the current level of cerebral sophistication demonstrated by TSA employees, I think a pipetool and a metallic tin would initiate a full-body cavity search, even though they're not on "The List". Unless they're too busy frisking toddlers and feeling-up grandma...
    Elwin likes this.
  3. CBR

CBR Member

I'm always traveling with pipe and tobacco. The few times I've left my tamper in my pipe pouch it has passed no probs. My camera on the other hand....ugh! I highly recommend leaving all your nice lighters at home and picking up a disposable or matches at your destination
  4. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I'm going to be flying across the country this afternoon, in my carry on baggage will be my standard four pipe case, bags of tobacco, Czech tool, matches, cleaners etc. I'll let you know if I have any trouble, but I doubt I will.

I cut hair, and often have to travel for trade shows, multiple pairs of razor sharp shears go right in the carry on, so I think your pipe tool should be ok, maybe a Czech tool that doesn't have anything sharp if you're worried. Go to the TSA website and if there's something you're concerned about getting hassled for, print the page that says it's ok (scissors with a blade length of not more than I think 5 inches are allowed, I always print that page.) When I smoked cigs I always carried matches, even at the hight of the insanity with no problem.
  5. Marc

Marc Member

Like Jussto said, check the TSA website for the latest do's and don'ts.
  6. ichabod

ichabod Member

They let you carry on shears? The stuff they have made me throw away...

Oh, and as far as I know lighters are OK now, just not the jet flame lighters. Do not quote me...I don't want to be held responsible if you have yours taken but they didn't have a problem with my zippo.

Someone else posted a while back that they had no problem with his Czech tool, they asked him what it was and he had to explain it, then they let him keep it, had no problems.
  7. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Regulations have actually relaxed quite a bit recently, I'm in the air now, not a question about my pipe case, matches, tools or anything!

They are really good about professional tools, there's no way in he'll I'm checking $2,500 worth of shears to have them kicked around and potentially lost. I do some photography too, and have raised more suspicion with huge lenses or large cameras (especially in Europe) than anything else. No way I'm checking those either!

Apparently pipes and accessories are fine!

Safe travels!
  8. CBR

CBR Member

Exactly what I said! It takes me 10 mins to clear as they have to swab my SLR body, turn it on, and physically examine the barrel of each of my lenses. Of course I don't mind as this to me makes a heck of a lot more sense. (I could easy pack a few ounces of something bad in each of my lenses but it's pretty ridiculous to think I'm going to hijack a plane with a Czech tool)
    Jussto likes this.
  9. Waino

Waino Lords humble cuckoo

You can keep one matchbox or small lighter in your pocket. Not allowed (with fuel) in handbag or luggage at all. Lighter must be small "candle fire", not that kind you use with cigar. Tobacco is ok, pipe also - it is more a question of custom regulations. "Strike anywhere" -matches are totally forbidden.

Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home. Yes No
    Torch Lighters - Torch lighters create a thin, needle-like flame that is hotter (reaching 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit) and more intense than those from common lighters. Torch lighters are often used for pipes and cigars, and maintain a consistent stream of air-propelled fire regardless of the angle at which it is held. Torch lighters continue to be banned. No No
    Strike-anywhere Matches - One book of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items, but all matches are prohibited in checked baggage.
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm
  10. Waino

Ps. Tool must be less than seven inches if you take it to cabin. Have a good smoke in Hawaii! I´am at same time in Paris, France, and made these searches from Internet.
  11. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Well I guess I'm lucky that I made it through security at all! :banana::laff:
    SmokeyJoe likes this.
  12. Waino

:appl:Now I´m searching my measure... where on earth I put it?
  13. SmokeyJoe

So was that before the pat-down or after?...:whis:
  14. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Stay Calm - Press On Moderator

I've had nary a problem with bagged (or open-tinned) tobacco, pipes, BIC/Zippo/matches. No fuel, no torch. I HAVE had a problem with one pipe tool with a fold-out blunt tipped, serrated edge scraper - TSA said it had the appearance of a knife even though it was, obviously, not a knife. Didn't matter - it looked enough like a knife to the Princess of Darkness. No longer willing to risk a problem over an Old Boy, a beloved Zippo or a favored tamper, I take a Czech tool and a BIC or matches when I fly.

I am so sick to death of airport security, pat downs, long lines, x-rays, shoe- and belt removal, uniformed nincompoops and overstuffed planes with skinny seats I now find myself driving on all but the drive-time impossible trips, either for business or pleasure. I prefer the drive (and smoking a pipe or cigar enroute) to knuckling under, I guess. For you younger guys, sorry about the world we left behind. shrug.
    Old Codger likes this.
  15. SmokeyJoe

I am the Triple-Threat of TSA. I'm a Pro Photographer, a Pipe and Cigar smoker, and I have a Prosthetic Knee that sets off every metal detector in every airport in the Western Hemisphere. I carry on a hard camera case, and a soft laptop bag. I am wanded and hand searched, 3 camera bodies and 5 lenses are all X-Rayed again, and swabbed for explosive residue, and all accessories are scrutinized. I carry my cigars , pipes, and tobacco in the laptop case and they are routinely ignored. What has not been ignored and subsequently confiscated during my 20+ years of business air-travel are: nail clippers, scissors, mini-screwdriver sets, cigar cutters, mini-multitools, every type of lighter and matches, laser pointers, folding corkscrews, and all pocket knives, even the little Swiss Army with the 1.5 inch blade, and a gift-boxed fountain pen, because of the sharp nib. Take it from someone who's been there, if you want to keep it, DO NOT carry it. Put it in checked baggage, or leave it at home.
    Whalehead King likes this.
  16. christopher

christopher New Member

Thanks for the heads up guys.
  17. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I'm going to the NASPC show in Columbus this year, and for just the reasons you mention, I'm driving. (I'm in AZ, so it's not trivial.) When I can be treated like a customer instead of a suspect, I'll consider flying again.
    Old Codger and Ozark Nick like this.
  18. Waino

Tomorrow morning I am have to solve my way through couple airports (Helsinki, Finland and Gharles de Gaulle, Paris-France.) Soon we shall see. Should I shave my summer-beard? Carry a christian cross on my chest? I need four pipes, tamper and a tin. Should I put tobacco to a pouch?

I have already figured out some tobacco-shops, there are plenty of them. Next problem is how much I can bring back. Our local regulations says "small amounts for own use". What does that mean? Soon I know that too.
  19. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Safe travels, and I hope you come back with quite a haul of tobacco!
  20. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I've found smaller airports to be more lenient, just FYI. I recently flew out of Burlington, VT back to Will Rogers in OKC and actually had pleasant experiences with TSA both ways. As far as pipes go, the guys in this thread are spot on: check the latest TSA regulations online, but generally they've been pretty reasonable. Personally I tend to skip bringing any lighters/matches at all so I just don't have to deal with it. I'll pick up a Bic or some matches at my destination.

I wish I could drive more often to my trips like MisterMoo. but when I'm going from New England all the way to San Francisco it makes it quite a waste of time as enjoyable as it would be to drive.