1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pipes for seasons

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Buck1, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buck1

Buck1 Member

Hello all, I am fairly new to pipe smoking and have a question.

Well I have lots of questions, But the one pressing at hand is if you have prefrences as to
    what pipe you grab.

I.E.; Peterson dry system if its humid
    Thin wall if cold
    Thick wall if hot

Central IL this time of year is pretty hot and humid. Maybe I'm just not letting my tobacco
    dry out before I pack it. But I'm no good at planning. :rolleyes:

I have a pretty good selection, as I have jumped in with both feet.
    Counted yesterday 14 with 2 on the way. <3# of tobacco:ohyh: (3 mo. time)
    My pete 307 does alright, but some other pipes I have to break down and run a pipe cleaner through
    3 to 5 times a bowl.
    Thoughts?
    John

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Sorry! - but if I had to run a cleaner through 3-5 times a bowl - I would either throw that pipe away, give up smoking, or seek medical advice!:eek:....well you did say - "thoughts?"

3. WillH

WillH Active Member

When it's humid there's not much you can do! You get a lot of moisture from the air. If the smoke is good just enjoy! Used the pipe cleaners. There is no rule about how many to use! Use what you need. If the smoke is not going well, then a little more drying will help. IMO

Also, there's lots of mechanical issues that make a pipe gurgle. Your smoking habits can be an issue as well. I suspect you're pulling too hard on the pipe!

I'll let Sas or some other pipe maker delve into dealing with mechanical problems with you. But anything that disturbes the air flow within pipe will cause moisture to collect where there's turbulence.
    Will

4. snowman

snowman Member

Hello, Buck. And welcome to PSF. As you said your farly new to pipe smoking so there are a few things to learn so just take your time do alot of reading here and things will go fine.If your smoking aromatics let it dry some before putting it in your pipe and only trickel it in slowly you don't want to pack it tight and it should be springy at the top. When you light the pipe do not puff hard sip it like a straw and smoke slow.I will stop as I'm sure you will get alot of good information on here and they will help you gladly.

Alan.

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Don't take Ted's reply to heart, he's a good guy and can share much pipe smoking wisdom when he's in the mood. Alan is right, dry your tobacco out a little more, pack it a bit more lightly, if necessary, and take it slow. Hot, wet smokes are not uncommon at first, as you fight to keep the pipe alight (which is actually counterproductive, as you generate moisture by heating it up too much) and get big mouthfuls of smoke like you might get from a cigar, or you might be or have been a cigarette smoker, which is a more nervous, haphazard way of smoking (trust me, I know about that).

Just take it easy, remember that this is supposed to be relaxing, and accept a few relights as par for the course. Most of all, keep asking questions and keep learning.

Welcome to the ranks of pipe smokers, by the way. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Herb

Incidentally, we have plenty of advice, but as Will says, there are no rules as long as you enjoy your pipes.

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I don't select a pipe based on the weather so much as I do tobacco. If I'm smoking outside, I don't care for extra spicy tobacco when it is hot. McClelland's Cajun Black & Cajun Special are examples. I prefer these fall to spring when it is cooler.

Aromatics that tend to smoke a little hotter work better when it is cooler or indoors as well. Burley in a cob seems to be a decent combination when it is warm outside. Virginias are too bad either. I think all tobacco is better the cooler the outside temp is though.

I'm feel lucky this summer for getting to smoke inside with my new exhaust fan equipped man-room. Previous years were outside only.

7. Buck1

Buck1 Member

Thanks for all the input !
    I think that this sufficiently answers what I was wondering.

I have taken up this hobby and accually kinda enjoy the fact that you have to learn how to smoke a pipe.
    There is no skill involved in cigarettes other than sucking a lot.
    John

8. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Buck, Herb's advice is good, relax, I'm still new to pipe smoking and I know its easy to get frustrated, especially with relights and gurgles. I often get those, I try things to prevent them, but have learned to not let them get me worked up (they did in the beginning). I usually have a pipe cleaner with me when I smoke, and usually toward the end it gets used a few times; but its funny, now I just do it without thinking about it, when I first started it made me feel like I was doing something wrong.... Welcome to the forum! -David

9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

.....thanks Herb!...and to John - my apologies, I often forget that I've been pipesmoking for over fifty years, and mostly with the same type of tobacco, so it is 'second nature' to me. My wife keeps telling me that my sense of humour is not understood or appreciated by all - and there are times when I should just keep my trap shut!, but please believe that though often 'mischevious' - I don't mean anything in malice or a 'demeaning way'.:)
    OT

10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Welcome, Buck. One thing you said scares me a bit. Don't break your pipes down mid smoke unless they are military mounts. You can end up with more pieces than when you started.
    I like the fact that you get the whole "learning" part, but don't try to learn it all today. Dry your tobacco out a bit, don't pack so tightly, and slow down your draw. Those three things take years to develop, and are never mastered completely, so don't ruin your enjoyment by thinking your coming along too slowly. Good Luck.

11. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I'm with Brad on this one. Smoke any pipe year-round.
    Tend to smoke Latakia blends more in the winter. As
    mentioned before, let your toby dry out a bit more (I have
    the same problem of not doing this), and don't load your
    pipes too tight. You'll land on your feet in no time.

dp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.