1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pipes for tobacco sampling.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Old Ted, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Over my long years with the pipe, I reached the conclusion long ago, that for me - the very best all-round smoking vessel is a Turkish meerschaum. I do of course enjoy my briars and cobs etc. too, but for true taste rendition, least susceptibility to 'ghosting', cleaning hassles etc. - my meers are favourites. Recently I spoke of my aquisition of some large unused, but old 'chimney' clays, and as I have recently received some generous samples of new-to-me tobaccos from great guys on this board, I've been using the clays as a tasting vehicle. It's a long time since I smoked a clay pipe, and really it was just as a 'novelty item' and dismissed them as delicate, hot and just too impractical to bother with further. After a week or so of sampling with these new clays, I do believe that they are more suited to this purpose even - than my meerschaums, giving a fully unbiased impression of a blend. They do of course become a bit hot around the bowl, but it can be argued that heat dissipating outwards - is heat leaving the tobacco?. To anyone perhaps new to pipes, and trying a few different blends, I would recomend clays for an accurate appraisal.
    Cheers, OT

Jussto and BradNTX like this.
  2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I'd agree, Ted. I recently got one of David's Claydogs (a finer example of a clay pipe I have not seen) and tried a few blends in it. It opened up doors that I didn't realize were there, so to speak. I look forward to using the hell out of that little pipe.

Jussto likes this.
  3. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I would never recommend a clay to a newbie, he will burn his tongue off. I don't like them and I have smoked the pipe for 42 years! They smoke hot to me. To sample tobaccos, give me a Cob. It is cool smoking, just the right size, cheap. But for daily smoking, I will stay with my fine briars.

Dutchking22 likes this.
  4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I have to throw my hat in the clay ring, too...and with a double wall like David's claydog, sizzle tongue just isn't going to happen. I've now smoked pipes made of most popular materials(save morta), and I think clay really is 'the shizzle'. Now, if we could only incorporate rebar into the mix to increase durability...

I'm not looking to toss out my briars, cobs, meers etc., but they are definitely going to have to get used to sharing rack space from here on out.

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Ah, I was right! You ARE a man of distinction! :th1:

I agree that the clay is perfect for trying out new blends if the goal is to taste the blend with no commentary from the pipe itself. I haven't tried one of David's but the LePeltiers and Zeniths are great... neutral, not too hot due to the double-walled construction, lightweight, and they use a vulcanite stem so I can clench.

6. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

+1 on the claydog for trying new blends, or smoking your old favorites for that matter!

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Dave is 100% "on beam". I got a wild hair a few days ago and picked up a clay "twin pack" (7" and 4") and gave the 4" a shot and smokin' that little devil (she's hot!) but holdin' by the stem confirmed the 7"er was up next with Stonehaven! ;)

Since then, I've picked up about a half dozen more and a few like the tall chimney (mine are paneled, 6 sides, Germany) you speak of and showed us on another thread. I just finished smokin' a full bowl in that tall clay and there were flavors comin' at me I never knew were there in that blend! Awesome! I'm wonderin' now if I smoke a cob/briar/meer.......... will those flavors be there from then on? Will they only be held to the secret powers of the clay? Anyway, I used to think, "clays"???? Yeah, right...... I got cobs! :) Well, sometimes something strange is nice and clays were strange to me but I sure am glad I got over it :D

Ed
    Puff

8. yinyang

Nuh uh...

Get the **** outta here! :) You took the 'porcelain plunge' Ed? Too cool(not the pipes)! I think you'll find them a great tool to add to your arsenal. Just don't drop 'em!

9. Puff The Magic

I'll post a pic of my "rig". I didn't want to breakdown a reedstem to smoke this tall clay so I broke a MM Ozark and whittled down the shank to fit and use a small section of a narrow balloon to snug the fit up between the wood and clay (no dropping the bowl off the stem......) . It's really sort of a nice pipe. It's got a Forever vulcanite stem on it too. Classy Clay has made her debut......... ;)

I've got to go back through all of my blends with a clay now............ life deals us such hardtimes :ngty:

Ed
    Puff

10. yinyang

Keep the faith Puff, keep the faith. :D

11. IrishTommyGun

IrishTommyGun Member

I love the meerschaums I have for trying new baccy's and I have a few clay pipes also that are great the Le'peltier I have is great also , and I have a slew of MM cobs to toss around
    but I do love my briar much more , and I may have a lot of new ones on the way does PAD ever end ??

12. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Enabler.

13. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

The only problem I have with this is what makes clays so cool in the first place - they give a clearer taste of any given tobacco than any other pipe. I have a few C&D blends that I really like in a clay, but they don't translate well to briar, even new briar. Well, I smoke briar most of the time so it doesn't do me a lot of good to know how they taste in a clay.

As far as giving a clay to a new smoker, why the hell not? I don't know too many people who did everything right the first time they lit up, a clay would definately shorten up your learning curve on a few bad habits. Besides that, I think a few hundred years ago (which is more than 42) every new smoker started with a clay, didn't they?

14. Puff The Magic

Back then, I started with a cob..... it seems like it's been a 100 years or so ago..... in a land far far away....

;)

Burnin' up some more Stonehaven in "The Bride of Frankenclay" (Classy Clay when she's HOT).

Ed
    Puff

15. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I have a few cobs coming, that I will use to sample the tobies that are also coming. Thanks

16. Puff The Magic

The "Bride of Frankenclay"

[​IMG]

Ed
    Puff

17. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Copycat! :p
    [​IMG]

18. Puff The Magic

Hey, it's the best form of flattery! You do know I consider you as "An Old Fart who really knows about Fartin' " ;) So, I figured I'd give 'em a try since I'd previously considered clays as a "non-option" for my smokes. Well, first smoke of the day was Bride of Frankenclay with more Old Ironsides. The "Ghost of Condor" is slowly leaving. The previous owner must have kept these in a drawer labelled "Grandma's Sachet" and for the next 70 years the clay absorbed it all!

I'd thought about using just a Forever Stem but want some "wood" in the hole so nothing but leaf gets burnt.

Ed
    Puff

19. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I'm surprised that Snake has not shown-up yet - with his clay!:byg:......must be still looking for a stem to fit!
    (BTW little wonder I have gas - living on all these soapy flakes!):rolleyes:

20. Puff The Magic

Soapy flakes = Bubbley farts.......... better make sure you have plenty of fluffys handy! .... and not the bristle ones :)

Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.