1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pipes Identification!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by PipeLover57, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PipeLover57

PipeLover57 Member

Hey guys, I need some expert advice on some pipes I've recently acquired:

Pipe #1:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ax04zzov8slzre4/IMG_5729.jpg
    This came as a gift, no identifying markings that I can find...

Pipe #2:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2eyue0srtpuhly/IMG_4326.jpg
    Inherited from my grandfather, I've figured out that this pipe is actually missing some crucial pieces (apparently there's an insert for the bowl with a silver cap?). The only markings are the initials HC surrounded by a hexagonal border and "Sterling" underneath that on the band. This seems to indicate the pipe was crafted at least in part by a silversmith.

Pipe #3:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5lgeruubde3iv2/IMG_2242.jpg
    Inherited from my grandfather, I just finished restoring this, and could find no identifiable labels. It is a filter pipe, but the medico filters are about a half inch too long. As you can see, there are hashmarks along the top corner of the shank. These continue up the center of the bowl, follow the top rim, then continue on the center to the the underside of the shank. They appear to be on top of a seam in the wood.

Any help in figuring out the origins of these pipes would be much appreciated!

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

There are as many unidentifiable pipes as there are identifiable ones, I should think. Quite honestly, the unmarked ones may have been made by some dude no one has ever heard that owned a lathe. I have a rather nice brandyglass shaped briar with no markings of any kind. It smokes well but it wouldn't make much of a show on the secondary market. The chances are not good that anyone will recognize the makers of your pipes.

That said, pipe #2 may have been made by Comoy. Henri Comoy (HC) was a silversmith and certain Comoy pipes with silver bands are so marked. And yeah, you're missing the meerschaum cup that goes into the gourd bowl. Tough to smoke without it. :ohyh: Measure the opening and see if you can find a cup on Ebay or perhaps www.altinokmeerschaumpipes.com can help with a new one. It may also need to fitting piece that seals the cup to the bowl. PM Sinan Altinok (PSF member) and see if he can fashion you a new cup.

Rodfather likes this.
  3. PipeLover57

PipeLover57 Member

That is extremely helpful and very exciting! When my brother and I were going through the pipes, I knew this one was a find. I'll be researching this right away.

//EDIT:

Also, I was looking again at pipe #3 and I found a label very faded in the stem, there seems to be a label that looks vaguely like shield, and then on the side opposite is "made in france"

4. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Off topic: Sinan's a member here? That's pretty sweet! I hope to own one of his pipes one day.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

5. dmkerr

Yes he is. And yes it is. And yes you do! :)

6. dmkerr

Any Comoy pipe made by the Comoy family is considered a good find. I can't say for sure that the HC is for Henri Comoy but I owned two Comoy briars years ago that were marked the same as yours.

7. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

The #1 pipe reminds me of Preben Holms work, and also his days of Ben Wade. With no markings---I have no clue. I like them all. Nice find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.