Pipes & Razors

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Otoolefan, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

I've noticed that one some pipe sites they also offer old school razors and shaving supplies...

I found this cool because almost the same time I started smoking a pipe (last Summer) I threw away my crappy, rip off 3,4, or was it 5? bladed cartridge razor forever and ordered myself a new safety razor. It took me a few days to get the hang of using a double edge razor, but it was easier than I thought. I also threw away my chemical gas can shaving goop and learned how to make my own lather with shaving soap. I've been getting great shaves ever since! With little or no razor burn as well. And if this wasn't good enough, I'm also saving a bucket load of $$$ on razor blades. For 15 (with shipping) I was able to get 100 quality blades (about 2 YEAR'S worth of blades!)

Just wondering if there are any of you on here who smoke a pipe and also use an old school razor... They seem to go hand in hand.

By the way, I also brew my coffee in a 1962 Sunbeam percolator that makes 10 cups of coffee in 6 minutes. I love being behind the times. You know, using products that were made to last before everything was made right here in China.

Don

Nanook, TWolf, MikeInMaine and 2 others like this.
  2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

3. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

4. Bob K

Bob K Member

Back when I used to shave, if I had the time, I used a straight razor. If in a rush, a safety razor (Merkur).

Face it ... we're traditionalists. If it was good 100 years ago, it's still good today.

WalkinStick, TWolf, Robin and 3 others like this.
  5. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Eggzactly! Words to live by.

Thuber88 likes this.
  6. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

Yup, there is a similarity for me. Both pipe smoking and shaving with a straight razor lets me slow down and just savor the moment.

7. Robin

Robin Member

I shave with an antique Gillette Atra razor, not true old school, but I don't really want a straight razor next to my jugular vein, even in my hands! I am a luddite, to a large degree, but even I embrace some things modern. I did finally switch from a revolver to a Glock, it's still a plastic brick, but the darn thing shoots fine! :)

MikeInMaine likes this.
  8. TWolf

TWolf Member

Yep, I switched to old school shaving with a double-edged blade about five years ago and haven't looked back. The price of those stupid multi-blade cartridges skyrocketing was what got me. Then about the same time I saw an article called "How to Shave Like Your Grandfather" on the Art of Manliness blog. That was all it took.

It took me a little longer to discover pipe smoking but I'm glad I did. I'm loving it.

Robin likes this.
  9. Steve IoM

Steve IoM Member

Yep, I've got 2 straights - a Hibbard Spencer Bartlet and a Fram, as well as a shavette. I've got a Parker and a Timor DE as well, usually using Feather, Lord white, Shark or Asco red blades. The shaves I get are so much better than those I got with any cartridge razor - those things just irritated my skin!
    Another thing I do that people call old fashioned is that I use a fountain pen. Yes there are times I'll use a cheap biro, but I just prefer the feel of my fountain pen, the look of my writing afterwards and the more "crafting" approach needed to use one correctly.

TWolf and Robin like this.
  10. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Cool! Shelby Foote called those "dip pens" and wrote out all his books in longhand with those pens.

11. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Awesome! "How To Shave Like Your Grandpa" was also instrumental in helping me make this switch to a DE. Just last night I shaved with a 1932 Gillette razor. It's beautiful, two tone brass and copper. Blade is a little more exposed and aggressive, but it gave me an even closer shave than the DE I usually use.

TWolf likes this.
  12. Eddie

Eddie Member

I've just gone back to a fountain pen to go with my DE razor and pipe.

TWolf and Coda like this.
  13. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

I'd like to try a straight razor and shaving cream. I've been using an electric razor for the past few years and the quality of the shave (after multiple swipes over the same area) is marginal at best. I think I'd like to experience a single swipe shave and a moment of nostalgia for a change.

14. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

In on board with those three as well. For me, its about using "tools" that do the job. I get by perfectly well with my pens and razors and pipes. Sure, there may be newer products, but just because something new comes out doesnt mean it is better. Case in point: Gillette. The only reason they went head first into cartridge razors is because their patent on DE blades expired. That was were the money came from, so instead of trying to compete in a saturated blade market, they invented a new blade...

I started with a DE about 3 years ago. I went to a Catholic High School, and it was regulation to be clean shaven. I hated shaving. I had a Gillette Sensor, and a can of Barbasol. I would end up with irritation, ingrown hairs, and horrible razor burn. When I graduated, I gave up shaving, and wore a beard for a few years. Eventually, I grew up, and went back to shaving. However, this time, I did some research, and was directed to the Youtube channel of one Mantic65. I soon was on my way. I have a beard/skin/grain combo that doesnt work well with cartridge razors. My beard is very wiry, my skin sensitive, and my grain a swirly menagerie. DE works the best. And thats why I use it...cheaper too.

Otoolefan and TWolf like this.
  15. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

The Holy Trinity!

Eddie, Coda and TWolf like this.
  16. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

I love Mantic's videos... They were a great help when I started shaving with my DE. Here's something I wrote last year about my switch to a DE and how that came about. It's long, but read it when you get a chance, if you're interested. It's called "The Razor's Edge" http://otoolefan.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/the-razors-edge/

Yankee Bill and TWolf like this.
  17. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill Member

That blog post was a great read. I'm getting ready to start using a DE Safety razor. I've had a short beard for years because I was tired of dealing with razors and I also have sensitive skin.

18. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Thanks for taking the time to read it!

19. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Here's a picture of that 1932 brass and copper Gillette safety razor I shaved with last night. Gonna call it my FDR razor :) http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/O...jpg.html?&_suid=13674626919070553590321393816

20. TWolf

TWolf Member

Yes, gentlemen, we are a rare breed. In the same vein, I will never barbecue with gas - it's an abomination, only charcoal and wood chips for smoking. I enjoy waiting for an experienced barman to produce a perfect pour on my Irish stout and would never dream of rushing him. And if he allowed me to rush him, he wouldn't be an experienced barman. And while I frequently drink coffee in my car, I believe that coffee shops and cafes are a place to relax, read, write, chat, and slowly enjoy a good cup of coffee that someone took the time to make properly - not a place to use a drive up window. The very reason I enjoy wet shaving with a DE razor and brush and smoking a pipe. All things that force me to slow down. To step away from the nonsense. To think. To breath. To be present.

Wideawake75, Bob K and Otoolefan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.