1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pipes reserved for special blends - my "pastries" pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nowsharing, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

I mentioned in the now smoking thread last night that after crossing a certain PAD threshold, interesting things become possible like pipes reserved for very distinctive blends.

What pipes do you reserve for very particular tobaccos?

I'll start with a pipe that has become my "pastries" pipe: a Tinderbox Verona by Mauro Armellini. It's only fed Boswell's Christmas Cookie, Berry Cobbler, and of course MC Pastry. I thought that the stem had a fitting whipped cream or vanilla icing look going on. I also have a Design Berlin Mariner reserved for my new cigar leaf acquisitions: Habana Daydream, Billy Budd, and a nice blend that dbwittkopf invented.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dbwittkopf

dbwittkopf Member

Muchas Gracias.

3. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

Here's my Design Berlin Mariner, which is my cigar leaf blends pipe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mark w4mms and IrishRover like this.
  4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I've tried dedicating pipes before but never really stuck to it much. The only one I have now is a prince that's saved for Escudo, although I'll occasionally let another VA/Per sneak in there when I'm between tins.

5. ol gto

ol gto Member

The only dedicated pipe I have is a 40 yr old Dr Grabow Lark, bent, it get only Flying Dutchman.:D

6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I keep a handful of pipes dedicated to Virginias (not that they ghost, but I don't smoke anything that does out of them), another group dedicated to English and other Latakia-heavy blends, one briar for aros (I'll smoke the few that I like in catch-all cobs, too), and a couple of briars that will burn whatever. Cobs aren't so dedicated, though I don't really dig English or Oriental mixtures in them anyway. My Big Ugly Nording is my designated Squadron Leader pipe (I think the cake adds to the flavor when it's homogeneous), and I have a Sav Author that gets Escudo exclusively. My Dr. Bob seems to do well with VaPer's, too, so that's usually what I smoke in it. Apart from a very slight ghost from Latakia, I don't smoke anything that funks up a pipe irretrievably anymore, so I probably over-think this a little bit.

Mark w4mms and ol gto like this.
  7. lostopossum

lostopossum Member

I agree with craven. I have my English pipes and my Virginia pipes. The only on I have dedicated is a Rinaldo my wife got me for our anniversary, it run STM because it came from just for him along with a few ounces of the stuff.

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I have one pipe that I dedicate and it's for Middletons Cherry Blend . I smoke Cherry Blend in any pipe . But this pipe reminds me of Cherry Blend so it just kinda happened that way . It's a no name French pipe ... it smokes fantastic !

[​IMG]

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

[​IMG]

10. ol gto

ol gto Member

Thank you sir, I just made that my screen saver!

Mark w4mms likes this.
  11. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I haven't dedicated a pipe to a certain brand's blend. I just have the rotation of English Pipe, Va or Va/Per pipe, Aro Pipe and cobs for Burley..

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Damn , Nowsharing ... nice freakin camera ya got ! The pictures are great :th1:

nowsharing likes this.
  13. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

I tried to dedicate a pipe to certain blends, but I like to try so many that I quickly got away from it. Pipes in my collection generally get committed to either VA or English blends and then I just feed them those. I have one which only gets fed aromatics, just in case the mood moves me.

14. Gig

Gig Member

Very nice pipes. I have only one pipe dedicated to a certain flake, a Stanwell 243 Featherweight which i smoke Orlik Goldern Slice in. All my other pipes are dedicated to genre of tobaccos, Va, Vapers, English and Aros :)

[​IMG]

HCraven and ol gto like this.
  15. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I don't have that many pipes, compared to some, but I still have dedicated several to specific blends. I was encourage to do so by a well known tobacconist, pipe maker and smoker, who got me into my first pipes, and I'm very glad I have.

Think about why you would dedicate a pipe to A blend. There are aging techniques, oils, chemicals and processes that make your favorite tobaccos what they are. When you smoke them, properties from the blend are deposited in the carbon cake that forms. If you have blends that you rate as your absolute fave's, why not immerse a virgin pipe with it's wonderful essence?

Yes, Virginias all are made of Virginia, but do they all taste the same? Obviously not, or we wouldn't have the desire to buy multiple Virginia blends. Same for Lats, aros, VaPers and VaBurs.

The more briar I collect, the more I intend to cater to dedicated pipes to favorite blends. The ghosted cake just adds such a wonderful dimension to an already good thing.

Current Dedicated Line Up:
    MM Diplomat with Walker Forever stem- SG Firedance Flake
    Bent Neerup- Hamborger Veermaster
    Rudolph Apelt- Peter Heinrich's Special Curly
    Peterson Kinsale XL14- Peterson's Irish Oak
    Sasquatch Apple- Just for Him Shortcut to Mushrooms

ol gto and nowsharing like this.
  16. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I am that way with pipes. I have some I like mild aros in, and I will even mix aros, and english in some---I smoke through it. HOWEVER--I have several pipes--MY old Upshall Tilshed, and my Becker morta that are dedicated-- My Becker Morta brings out the flavor of Boswells Northwoods like I have NEVER--EVER experienced it before. I also have an Ardor that seems to have something going on when I put mild aros in it---flavors are better in this pipe. NOW GRANTED---it might be a mental thing--I don't know, but I keep certain pipes for certain things. NOT ALWAYS THOUGH----now and again I push my luck in some of my cheaper pipes like my working pipes----I'll put anything in the one I carry for daily use in my work bag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.