Pipes & Wives

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Greasy Neale, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marker

Marker Active Member

Keep one.
    Sell the other.

jpberg, psquared and TheModernGent like this.
  2. Codger

Codger Member

Love It!!! :haha:

3. DetroitDoug

DetroitDoug Member

I just tell my wife that it doesn't smell any worse then the crap she burned for diner.

4. JohnG

JohnG Member

Offended? Not at all. Thats just my opinion of lawyers. And I have a few good friends that are lawyers.

5. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

M'lady was helping to conduct anti-smoking clinics at the church she was going to when we met. When we decided to get married, I said I only have two rules. One is that we talk things out if there's a problem to be solved. The other is that I have smoked in my house and at work practically since I started smoking, and I was not going to change that. I wasn't working at home then. She said, "No problem." We've never had one single argument over my smoking, and we've never gone to sleep at night unhappy with each other in the 24 and half years we've been married. I do light a candle in the den for her (my idea), and it was my choice not to smoke in the bedroom. She is a great and patient lady who even puts up with cigars when I smoke them. I couldn't have a better wife than m'lady.

6. Gothicmace

Gothicmace Member

Large shiney expensive objects of lasting effect from Helzberg Diamonds may help. But then again.. I bought my wife 1 carat princess cut earrings for Christmas and I told myself I enjoyed sitting out in the cold garage this morning puffing on my pipe. So when you get that one figured out.. please clue me in as well. :laff:

7. Gothicmace

Gothicmace Member

I always have an extra chair available in the garage... with the overhead door open.. you just pretend you are sitting in the living room looking out a giant picture window.

moosecop, Explorer352 and AlexanderM like this.
  8. PipeNbourbon

PipeNbourbon Member

I holler at my wife for smoking cigarettes inside near me when I'm enjoying a pipe.... Don't like the cig smoke mixin with it lol

9. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Here it is from a wife that is not allowed to smoke lat blends in the house. Actually Ruff and I both smoke on a nice screened in porch. There are things to consider, how high are your ceilings? Do you have kids? Are you wishing to smoke in the bedroom? Low ceilings trap a lot of smoke and keep a house smoky for a long time and traps odors in furniture and drapes. High ceilings allow the smoke to dissipate and smell so bad. Do you have kids? We have two young kids 6 and 11 and both get respiratory problems every time they get sick. We try not to smoke around them. We have low ceilings and kids in the house, so we smoke outside on the porch for the most part, sometimes Ruff has a nice smelling pipe once in a while in the house, but not often enough where there's any kind of build up. Febreeze is a great tool, but the odors come back after a while. Candles help, but nothing really works when there is constant smoke in a house, unless you have nice high ceilings that can really handle it well. I say if you don't have kids and you're not trying to smoke where your wife keeps her clothes and belongings, then some kind of reasonable arrangement could be made. Just don't expect her to be happy if her hair and clothes start to smell like smoke. There will be problems, women like to smell nice and like their homes to smell nice, too.:D

10. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I'm glad I don't smoke in the house, if I did I would be smoking 20 bowls a day.
    I still like to maintain some degree of moderation.
    My wife & I just sold our house, guess what, the 1st couple to look at it bought it.

"I'll smoke where ever I damn well please"... really? guess your wife if bare footed in the kitchen also...

11. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

Oh, I saw the title and thought this was going to be a "how many is too many" thread. Or at least a "help me pick one". )-:

browny, jpberg and dwaugh like this.
  12. Eddie

Eddie Member

Start smoking cigars. I smoke pipes and cigars, as long as I don't smoke cigars in the house I'm allowed a few pipes a week.

JRobert likes this.
  13. Jimmy Bukowski

Jimmy Bukowski Active Member

Tell her she should be more like your girlfriend who lets you smoke wherever you please.

Basil Meadows, Husayn and MacNutz like this.
  14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Damn skippy, brother! I wear the pants in my house, and my wife even lets me pick them out and iron them...

Seriously, just pick a nice blend - like, say, that coffee-flavored aromatic with the wonderful room note that Stokkebye offers - and just light up. No fan fair, and no formal annoncement. Wait until she is in another room, then light up in the kitchen. Be sure to be sitting at the table with a good book, magazine, or newspaper. It will take her a minute or so to figure out where that wonderful aroma is coming from, and when she walks in don't make a big production of it. Just keep reading and puffing away. Let her speak first. There is a good chance that she won't object if you do it that way. If she doesn't object, then adviise her that you'll only smoke in the kitchen and you won't smoke anything smelly. Be sure to clean up after yourself. See where it goes from there.

browny and Billy Ockham like this.
  15. StubrnDutchman

StubrnDutchman Member

Do you know why divorce is so expensive? Because it is WORTH it! I know that from experience and still paying fourteen years later!

AlexanderM and critter like this.
  16. CptBeefheart

CptBeefheart Member

Looking at the thermometer at 9F today I sure wish I could smoke inside too, but then I look over at my wife and 1 1/2 year old daughter sitting on the living room floor and then I look around our tiny two-bedroom apartment and there's just no way. It's a nice fantasy to think about sitting here smoking one, but I'll soon put my pants and coat on to head outside into cold reality.

At least some day fairly soon I'll have a decent job and will have my own house with a basement and a garage...both my smoking dens. For now I'm fortunate that my wife doesn't give me a hard time about the pipes at all and that I can smoke in our one-and-only car.

browny and BradNTX like this.
  17. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I found some compromise and consideration has worked well for smoking in the house with little to no complaints. Here's what I do:
      • I smoke outside on the back deck when the weather is above 40* and below 90*, and prefer it anyway
      • When I smoke inside, I keep it to one room, which is my study. If you don't have one, you can still keep it to one room, so she doesn't feel like the whole house is smoked up.
      • I had an exhaust fan installed in my study (Panasonic Whisper), but you can also crack a window, especially after you are done for fresh air
      • Clean your pipes after each smoke to keep them from smelling up the house
      • NEVER leave ash or dirty pipe cleaners in the house- I don't even throw away my ash/pipe cleaners in the house, which smells up the trash can. I take them to the trash outside.
      • After smoke, burn a candle, incense or scented oil (Lamp Berger), etc, and make sure it is a scent she prefers
      • Don't smoke tobacco she hates the smell of. My wife can't stand the smell of Lat blends or Black XX, so those only get smoked outside
    It may sound like a pain, while seeing it in print. Nothing on the list takes much time, and becomes part of the routine. Plus, I find my wife is more cheerful about me smoking in the house when I'm considerate of her not wanting the house to smell like an ashtray or dirty pipe cleaner. She's gotten where she even says, "Why don't you smoke a pipe in your office, while we talk about a couple things". Once every great while, she will even open all the windows in the house, and invite me to smoke a pipe in the living room while we watch a movie. Momma stays happy, which makes me happy, and I get to smoke pretty much every day somewhere I enjoy, whether its outside on a nice day or in the study.

el guero, browny, jpberg and 6 others like this.
  18. jwh891

jwh891 Active Member

I used to be able to smoke in my study, but then my wife became pregnant with out firs born and that put an end to that. Which was just as well, my wife is moldy allergic to smoke (makes her nose stopped up and her throat itch) so she's much more comfortable now.

I'm just waiting till the day when we have a house with a garage or basement that I can convert into my man cave.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  19. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

When we had our youngest child, I didn't smoke in the house for about 2 years. We built a house, and when we moved, smoking inside was "on" again. The study has an exhaust fan that helps a lot. They aren't real expensive, especially when you consider how often its used and the peace it keeps. Its so quiet, it has a light so you know when its on.
    [​IMG]

browny, jpberg, CptBeefheart and 2 others like this.
  20. Explorer352

Explorer352 Active Member

There are some great thoughts and suggestions here... and some not-so-great...
    I've been married for 6yrs, smoking pipe for less than 1. I smoke in my car, or garage- and consider that a 'win.' Last night I came in from a nice bowl and she asked if I could change. I felt like changing location. My point being, some ppl have more tolerance than others. .02

browny and BradNTX like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.