Pipes you don't smoke.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by JoeSmall, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

Does anyone have pipes they just don't smoke. I'm asking because I have been smoking mm cobs and I'm not really very good at it. I just about burnt out the wood bits in a few of my legends, I can never seem to smoke to the bottom (even the legends that burnt the pine left unburnt tobacco in the bottom), no matter how careful I am the rims get charged if I use a match or a lighter (tobacco is below the rim even after swelling up when lit), and no matter how much I clean em they smell like an ashtray even cleaning them after every smoke.

Now I don't mind paying between $4.00-$9.00 for a pipe to get some use out of it and to learn on but I got a POY coming, an altinok (even if it is the lowest price point it's a lot for me) coming, and for fathers day I got a lil bulldog from a member here coming, and to be completely honest I'm scared sh!tless I'm gonna f*** em up so bad that they may be unrecognizable after just 1 smoke.

So my question is does anybody smoke just cobs and spend money on other pipes that they don't smoke or am I the only one who is this messed up in the head? I thought I wanted to smoke em when I bought em but the longer I wait the more I'm convinced that it would be a bad idea. Even if I don't smoke em they were all technically gifts from my wife so I can look at them.

2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Set your cobs out in the sun for a day, and some of that smell should disappear.
    Rim char is natural, we almost all do it, just don't use a torch lighter
    Don't poke around below the stem at all! let the ash fill it in for you, tap the excess out when you finish is about all there is, you can towel wipe if you want to.
    Unless you are collecting them are showpieces or artwork, then smoke those suckers, that's what they are made for, anything else is a shame and a crime.
    A truly used and abused pipe is almost always salvageable, there are so many ways to fix everything, short of a crushed bowl, go for it and don't worry about them
    If your technique is good, it wont matter if its $4 or $400, they will all come out fine, different tobacco's are more of a variable than the pipe itself.
    Practice on all your cheapies, and get your skills down with simple tobacco's , then work your way up to pita stuff like some flakes.
    Enjoy them all as you go, the beginning days of a new pipe may not be perfect, but in time and with smoking them, they all will be fine and dandy for you soon enough
    Just my thoughts

Robin, rondel65, MikeInMaine and 6 others like this.
  3. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

You almost have to be single mindedly dedicated to the destruction of a pipe for that to happen. Pipes are tougher and more forgiving than many people think. Just don't run over it with a truck and you should be OK:old:

Coastal Bend, Robin, dwaugh and 5 others like this.
  4. SthrnMan

SthrnMan Member

Cobs are work horses IMO. You may THINK you messed them up, but I doubt it. Practice, take your time and enjoy. You may want to keep an eye out for estate pipes on ebay. Not only can you find good deals, but it is a great way to learn how to clean and care for pipes that otherwise look like junk.

Robin, dBear, JoeSmall and 1 other person like this.
  5. Just Smitty

Just Smitty Member

If by burning out the wood bits, you mean that the wood shank at the bottom is burning and charring, it's supposed to. The top rim will turn black no matter what kind of lighter voo doo you try. Makes the cob look classy! Used to freak me out too and I'd sand the black off but one of the sage cob smokers here told me they all do that. As long as you haven't actually burned through the sides or bottom, the pipe's not ruined. Don't give up! The more you smoke them the better they get. Right around the time you think it's a bust and the pipe looks like crap is when it all comes together and it starts to smoke just right.

Try the briars out when you get them and see how it goes. I honestly suck at smoking briar pipes. When I first started it was all bad and I actually stopped for a while. Than I picked up a cob and tried again and that's what did it. I'm getting better with briars, but not too the point that I'm willing to shell out a couple hundred for one. So far the most expensive I've got is an estate pipe that cast 160.

Besides cobs, my most regularly smoked pipe is my falcon. It has a humidome to collect all the gunk and the smoke stays cool and dry, You can get one pretty cheap online. The cheapest I've paid was $10 plus shipping for a very abused estate that I was able to clean up with minimal fuss, those were what got me to try something besides cob and even though I'm still not good at smoking briars, it is at least becoming more of an enjoyable experience rather than a chore.

Good luck and happy smoking!

Robin, rondel65, jdto and 5 others like this.
  6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

What kind of tobacco are you trying to smoke in your cob? I would start with Carter Hall or Prince Albert to learn the basics of packing, tamping and lighting, these two tobaccos work well with a cob and especially a new smoker learning his way.

Robin, rondel65, colorduke and 5 others like this.
  7. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

Smoke both

dBear and Thuber88 like this.
  8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Joe try packing to the firmer side, light evenly across the top and take it slow and easy, sip the pipe, try clenching while you smoke using the natural rhythm of your breathing to sip the smoke, should burn cool and dry to the bottom, you will not master this technique over night, it takes time, practice and patience, endeavor to persevere!

Robin, Danny S, dBear and 2 others like this.
  9. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Hey, we'll get together for a lesson--perhaps break in our POYs! I'm still learning, too--just tried my first go at some Brown Bogie rope, but I've got Carter Hall in a cob down to a pretty good science!

Regards,
    Michael

Robin, rondel65, MikeInMaine and 3 others like this.
  10. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

Joe stick with it. You are still learning & that's a good reason to smoke cobs. They a cheap & easily replaceable. You will get you bearings & learn good technique , but it take patience & practice. However the rewards far outweigh the risk. Don't worry so much. ( I wish someone would have said that to me).
    Rest assured you cant burn a hole through a meer. At least not with a lighter (I never tried a blow torch)
    Good Luck
    Brian

Robin, dwaugh, RTOdhner and 2 others like this.
  11. DGErwin11

dwaugh has.

Robin, MikeInMaine, dwaugh and 4 others like this.
  12. Brit abroad

Brit abroad Active Member

You are doing fine, as you were!

Robin, dBear and JoeSmall like this.
  13. Jeff10236

Jeff10236 Member

If you are nervous about possibly messing up a good briar and want a cheap briar to practice with, I can give you one of my old basket pipes. I stopped buying basket pipes about 15 years ago, and I stopped regularly smoking them about 7 or 8 years ago (I gave several a try recently but I don't smoke any of them more than once or twice every year or two). To be honest, none of them are terrific smokes, but if you want to practice your technique on a briar you won't worry about if you mess it up, they are would terrific. Just PM me your address and I'll send you one.

That said, don't worry about a little charring on the rim, it is going to happen (especially with a cob). You sound like you are doing just fine. As for not smoking the tobacco to the bottom, the worst it will do to the pipe is an uneven cake (and you can carefully trim the cake). Try partial bowls and you may smoke it all a bit easier. Just don't beat yourself up, we all leave unsmoked tobacco from time to time.

14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Cobs are great little pipes, but what makes them really great is that they are inexpensive and are perfect for learning how to smoke a pipe. As such, they're also disposable so go right ahead and keep learning and abusing them. You'll get it down, so don't even give it much thought. As for charring the rim and wood bits, what you're describing seems to be regular wear and tear on a cob. I don't own a cob that I haven't done both of those on. If you have not burned through the bottom or the side, then you're doing it right. Just keep at it. Trust me, the reward is well-worth the time and effort you expended to master the practice of pipe smoking.

Robin, JoeSmall, Just Smitty and 2 others like this.
  15. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

You've gotten lots of good advice, I would only add, don't worry so much about smoking to the bottom, it's big deal leaving some stuff in there. Also, I think you would have a hard time messing up the POY briar, as Doug said, pipes are fairly tough. At the very worst, you can burn the rim some, and if that happens and it worries you, it can be fixed. Relax.

Robin, Hawkwood, JoeSmall and 2 others like this.
  16. Jay

Jay Active Member

I have several pipes that I purchased early in my smoking career that are total crap. I would gift them all to someone that wanted them, but I won't. For the simple reason that they are crap and would ruin the art of pipe smoking for whoever received them.

I can still use them for parts or experiments if ever the need arises.

mongo, Robin, JoeSmall and 1 other person like this.
  17. highstump

highstump Active Member

Joe, listen to this guy. He's old and very experienced. He knows stuff.

Robin, Tom Sawyer, JimInks and 4 others like this.
  18. Just Smitty

Just Smitty Member

And even if you do run it over with a truck... I'm sure one of the PSF wizards here could probably take it and do some wizardry on it and make it better than it was before... (Cue 6 million dollar man theme)

Robin, MikeInMaine and Thuber88 like this.
  19. DGErwin11

Woody,

Is jpberg allowed to have 2 separate accounts?

20. highstump

highstump Active Member

:gjob::laff:

Tom Sawyer and JimInks like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.