Pipetool for Ipad V.S. Excel

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by derrickyoung, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

I purchased PipeTool for the Ipad and must say I am a not overly impressed. The Lack of updates to this software really shows. So I am thinking of moving to an Excel Spread sheet. Does anyone have a template or invested any time into developing a strong Excel sheet?

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Whew :shead:.... Are ya talkin something about computers ... Heck , I just came to grips that the Earth is round :beck:
    Wish I could help . There's a bunch of computer literate people here !

jdto likes this.
  3. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I wish they would update pipetool, conceptually, it's kind of cool. I'm not interested in using to keep track of what tobacco I have, but rather what I have smoked, and what I thought about it. I was clicking the "favorite" checkbox on each tobacco I had tried, you could then have it email you a list, that is at least something.... It does let you rate the tobacco, but because that field is already filled in with stuff from tobacco reviews, you have no way of knowing if it's your review or not. I would try to us it more, if it would export the "comments" field in an email. Right now I'm afraid if I type anything in there, I'll never be able to get it out....

4. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

You and I are the same page. What I wanted was a way of making more robust notes on the tobaccos I have smoked. Even multiple notes for those tobaccos that are tried several times to figure them out.

A section listing your pipes would be cool too. You could then match tobacco to pipe when you smoked it.

NOTE: Just emailed them to see if they have any plans to enhance/update

5. Eddie

Eddie Member

I've just set up a spreadsheet with tick boxes for the type of tobacco, and the curing method. There is also a tick box to say if im allowed to smoke it in the flat.

6. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

Maybe what is needed is a PSF Tool for IOS.

There are enough propeller heads around here it should be not to hard

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm not trying or wanting to be a smart a** .. but honestly , wouldn't it be easier to write it down in a journal ... this way , after you're long gone .. your great grandkids can go on antiques roadshow with a hand written journal and your , at that point , very old pipes , and be told they're worth a ton of money .. in which case the great grandkids will sell them to the first buyer [ being smoking will be illegal ] and go on vacation with the money . That , or buy the plastic clothes that the scifi crowd has been depicting future people will wear ... even though that was supposed to have happened already . I don't think the masses will ever wear plastic clothes

Jussto and jdto like this.
  8. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

What is this paper thing you speak of?

jpberg, user3610 and ruffinogold like this.
  9. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Ever thought of trying Springpad? To be honest, I had not -- until just now. I've got Springpad on my phone, computer and Kindle Fire and have been using it for "notebooks" of books to read, books I've read, movies to see and seen and -- um -- adult beverage listings and reviews. But for my tobacco I've been using a couple of blank journals I found on sale for keeping an inventory of tobacco in my cellar (actually my closet) and a log of pipes smoked. For now, I think I'll keep a foot in both worlds -- new technology and old school. Keeping a paper journal is working fine for my pipe and tobacco needs right now, but there are some benefits to Springpad I haven't experimented with yet. It is possible to share a notebook, widely or with specific people. In that case, it might work to "collaborate" on comments on a particular tobacco blend with another pipe smoker(s), for example.

10. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

thanks Costal Bend. I had being using Evernote and not tried spingpad. Going to give it a try.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  11. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Pipetool is still useful. It's not updated with new blends, but if I have a blend that isn't there, I just add it myself.

12. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

the issue I have with it is not the missing blends. You are right adding Blends and images is easy enough. It just lacks a comprehensive note system. Also in todays age some form of cloud based sharing would be nice. I would like to see your notes that you choose to share or share info from my database.

As well having the DB tied to tobacco review at time of publishing with no option to get tobacco updates from other sources means each year this thing goes further out of date. We all add the blends we need, but having that feed back to something in the cloud so we can sync new blends is pretty fundamental.

It is a 3 year old app and looks and feels like it in a industry where 3 years is a lifetime.

The programmer emailed me back and says no update available as Tobacco Review has not made their data available to him again.

13. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mainly use it as an inventory tool. I keep an excel spreadsheet with notes on each smoke, so I can compare my experience with a blend over time.

14. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

So Thought I would rock it old school. Ran to the local Drug store and picked up a moleskin type notebook. Going to use it for notes and such in regards to pipes and Tobacco.

So far I have been at it 20 minutes and yet to find a working pen in the house. :mad:

Morse and Jussto like this.
  15. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I bought Pipetool when it first came out, and after it crashing three times halfway through entering my current inventory and losing my data, I just gave up on it. It may be better now, but I don't care for the idea of having to update a database every time I load a bowl. I think a small notebook may be the best option for me, since my Excel skills are very limited.

dhintonca likes this.
  16. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

:haha:

I feel for you. That's frustrating, especially when you have the DOH moment and realize you could have easily picked up a pen at the same drug store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.