1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pirate Kake, Will my envy subside?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Piperatthegates, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

As a new member of these famed forums I'd like to ask the opinion of some of the pipe smoking friends from 'across the pond'. Here in the U.K. I and I'm sure many other pipe smokers can only sit filled with envy at the sheer variety of absolute top class pipe tobacco available at tear welling prices you have over in the U.S. It only takes a few glances at the reviews on YouTube to see how different the smoking habits are 'Stateside' compared to here. U.S. reviewers invariably are seen sporting at least D sized pipes while here a C is the norm. I assume this is related to the tobacco prices which allow for the U.S. smoker to use larger bowls. it would be unbearably expensive here for example for me to purchase a pound of really top class tobacco at regular periods and manage to build up a cellar to equal anything I've seen from the pipe smokers in the States. But thanks to a friend that may be about to change, albeit temporarilly.

For quite a while I've been waiting for an opportunity to get my hands on some of the famed bulk blends from the U.S. Especially the blends which I'm told by friends, are an equal at least to my regular smokes of SG Skiff and Commonwealth. I was asked to choose three different blends but limit the choice to one pound in weight. I chose four ounces each of Pirate Kake and Star of the East and added eight ounces of Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme. Now I know I could have made a much different choice but as is always the case, second thoughts and doubts are rearing their heads. You see how easy it is to get spoiled.

So, my question to you is simple, Do you think this is a wise choice or would you have chosen differently? Remember, I'm asking because you as U.S. smokers will know far more blends that are available than I do. I think my choice isn't too bad ( for a Latakia freak ) and now I'm like a child during advent.

SouthBound likes this.
  2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Being youre a latakia freak , as you say , I think you did fine ! My only concern is the C&D stuff is/or can be pretty dry . When you get it make sure you have something to put them in for storage . I'm sure you thought of it .. but just incase ya din't . Enjoy !

3. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

Thanks for your advice Ruffinogold. I always wanted to be able to store some baccy away in jars so yeah you're right, I got some in specially :) I didn't know about C&D's bulks being dry but thats really the whole point of my question. We can read all we want on the reviews about tobaccos but the real good advice comes from the people who have tried the stuff. Cheers.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

After hearing of all the draconian laws, and seeing the cost of pipe tobacco over there, I do sympathize with you fellows. Yes, we colonists do have a large selection to choose from...we, or at least I, tend to forget. But you guys have Condor, and we don't. Suddenly I could care less about your plight...

Just kidding!

I'm not too big on Latakia, but I think you did fine. If a few of the boys chime in, I'll bet you'll hear a lot of good, read: better than my, skinny on Lat blends here in the states. Man, there really is a ton to choose from.

Welcome aboard!.

5. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

Thanks Yinyang, Yeah the laws here concerning smoking are really over the top. Smokers are treated like three year olds, except for when they have to pay for their hobby, then we're treated like millionaires. Fortunately I go to Germany often where not only can I pick up some good tobacco at good prices but I can also smoke my pipe in many of the pubs which makes for a whole lot better time. I'm amazed at how many smokers Stateside know and like Condor. Mind you it is pretty good for an OTC smoke. Thanks for the welcome.

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

...."pretty good for an OTC smoke"...yes Condor (and St.Bruno!) are OTC - over here, but this is by no means a term of derision!, they have been our favourites for a hundred years or more for good reason - as flakes go, they are the best! - as many of our transatlantic friends have come to realize....just my two pennorth!
    Cheers, OT

7. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

You're right OldTed, the term 'over the counter' is sometimes taken in a derisory context, but not in this case. As you point out Condor and St Bruno have been the mainstay of readily available baccys in the UK for so long with very good reason. Two terrific tobaccos in their own right. Generally though I don't think smokers expect such high quality from their local corner shop. Wasn't knocking Condor

8. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Star of the East is a great choice! you may want to add Deacon's Downfall and Epiphany to your order...

9. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

Thanks Dondi, I have heard SOTE is similar to the famed Northwoods which influenced my choice a little. I've heard good things about Epiphany but not heard of Deacon's Downfall. As I said in the op the variety and sheer volume of choice of great quality blends in the U.S. is mind blowingly huge. Makes me want to move over there to be honest.
    I just looked it up on TR, Greg Pease blend, gets good reviews and sounds promising. Will make a note of that blend, cheers again

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Pirate Kake is a little chunk (literally) of Lat heaven. You'll love it! Balkan Supreme is touted to "resemble" Sobranie...close but no cigar there. Still, an excellent choice for a Lat/Oriental blend. SotE is a Lat bomb...half Latakia. You had better "really" like Lat with this one!
    Have fun! You chose well.........

11. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

t - bear thats really re assuring, thanks. I've been smoking the likes of Commonwealth and Artisans, Skiff and Old Dub now for some time and even when I delve into say Squadron Leader for a change of pace so to speak, I end up adding 30% of Commonwealth to the SL just to give it a boost because I just can't taste any Lak in it any more. So I'm hoping that SOTE and PK will match their reputation, really looking forward to it. Mind you, I'm the type of smoker who needs to smoke an ounce before I get the feel of a new tobacco, I've never been able to understand a tobacco after just one or two bowls. Thanks again.

12. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Folks who "review" a blend after one/two bowls can't be trusted. :groucho:

13. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Q. Do I like Pirate Kake?

When the lawless rule, when the perpetrators of heinous crime run rampant, when we've amuck. I want a AK-47 and 10 pounds of Pirate Kake.

Yes, you did good!

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

14. gyrostatic

gyrostatic Member

...said the actress to the bishop. :whistle:

Seriously though, those sound like great picks for a Lat lover. Hope you enjoy them!

15. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

Hahahaa, cheers

16. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

Thanks Llama, wtll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.