Placing my first Boswell's order tomorrow.. Please suggest some blends to try.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BigB, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigB

BigB Member

I'm planning to order a handful (maybe 5 or 6) of 2 oz. sample bags.

I'd like to avoid anything that's going to bite, and I'd like to avoid ordering a bunch of blends that all taste too similar.

Right now my short list of blends that sound good or interesting are:

Northwoods
    Piper's Pleasure
    Christmas Cookie
    Pennsylvania Dutch Treat
    No Bite Delight

I'm also considering:
    Premium Burley (This one is a maybe, it sounds great, but I have a lot of Burley's on hand already)
    Boswell's Best
    Sweet Tea
    Berry Cobbler
    Chocolate Cream

What are your favorite's? If I'm missing a must try, please suggest it.

2. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

BigB--all of those on both lists I have tried, and have found NO bite at all in ANY of them. The Northwoods is a wonderful Latakia blend--I love that stuff. Also the Christmas Cookie is a nice mild aro. The Penn. Dutch Treat has a hint of cherry and is in my opinion the ONLY cherry tobby I have ever purchased more--good stuff--ALL of them you listed are decent blends.

BigB likes this.
  3. boon

boon Member

I smoked Christmas Cookie for the first time last week. As far as light aros go, it's really good. I'd recommend it.

BigB likes this.
  4. Phatmandu

Phatmandu Member

Boswells Best is a pretty good one as well. If this is your first venture, may I be so bold to suggest a 1 oz. sample. Not suggesting anything negative, but the prices have gone up a wee bit and if you dont like something....... Jus say'n

BigB likes this.
  5. jeff394

jeff394 Member

+1 on Northwoods. Not too much of a nic hit, just a touch of sweetness, great Latakia tasted that's not overpowering. Great stuff.

BigB likes this.
  6. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I would say Northwoods definitely and I will support your long list item Chocolate Cream. I really enjoyed this Aro. It was light and not artificial at all.

BigB likes this.
  7. Dogman

Dogman Member

I like Pipers Pleasure and Boswells Best. Both are similar to No Bite Delight. Best has a little more Chocolate flavor, I think

8. WWhermit

WWhermit Member

I don't hear too much about it, but I really liked Bear Blend. I had Bear Blend and Penn Dutch Treat in the same order, and over time the Dutch Treat got too sweet for me. The Bear Blend, however, continued to please until the end!

BigB and Artistik like this.
  9. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Christmas Cookie-- it is the Holiday season and all

BigB likes this.
  10. BigG

BigG Member

+1 on Christmas Cookie & No Bite DeLite
    I really liked Rum River too

11. Gig

Gig Member

Northwoods and Hunters Choice :)

12. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Bear Blend is what some folks consider a crossover blend. It has a caramel topping and a sweet Virginia base. To that is added a touch of Latakia. This is a great smoke and could easily be an all day smoke for me. I don't think you will find a bite in any of theBoswell blends and I have sampled quite a few. PA Dutch Treat is about the only true aro I smoke. If you like Burley then try an ounce of
    Premium. It has a touch of vanilla flavoring imho.

WWhermit and BigB like this.
  13. PipeWife

PipeWife Active Member

Choco-holic that I am, I consider Boswell Chocolate Cream to be the ultimate treat for a flavored aromatic. Hubby tried the Premium Burley before me, and absolutely loves it. No-Bite Delight was subtle to my tastes, but eventually I tried it in a new unsmoked briar and that was when I coaxed the caramel flavor to show itself. Boswell's Best is a pleasant vanilla blend. Piper's Pleasure has four flavor components, and which one is more apparent depends on which pipe I load it into - great good fun.

BigB likes this.
  14. BigB

BigB Member

The Bear blend was kinda under my radar before now. I haven't seen many reviews on it, and the website makes it sound like just another cherry-caramel-ish blend, but you guys make it sound great. Latakia's creaminess combined with some sweetness sounds good to me. I'm still on the fence with Latakia (sometimes I get a beautiful campfire in the woods note that makes me think of camping, other times it's a greasy smoked meat note that I don't enjoy. Maybe it depends on my mood?), but it's growing on me as I work through a tin of My Mixture 965 that I bought last year and never opened until recently.

They all sound so good that I had a really hard time not trying them all, but I'll save some for future orders.

I ended up going with 2 oz. each of:
    Northwoods
    Bear Blend
    Piper's Pleasure
    Christmas Cookie
    Berry Cobbler

I also threw in 1 oz. each of:
    No Bite Delite
    Chocolate Cream
    Premium Burley (Burley in a cob was the first pipe smoke that clicked for me, and I have a new cob on the way here from Walk Briar Works. Seems they're fated to be good friends :))

Now to decide which one to smoke first in my newly acquired Boswell estate pipe. I think this is a problem I'll enjoy having over the holidays.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Artistik likes this.
  15. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Looks like a good sampler and I hope it helps make the holidays even better for you.

BigB likes this.
  16. BigB

BigB Member

Thank you! I think I'll make a plan to spend some crisp cold mornings outside with a bowl of Northwoods, followed by some warm cozy evenings in my slippers with a bowl of Christmas Cookie. Sounds damn fantastic.

17. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Let us know what you think of them after you've tried them!

I'm not an aro smoker, but I do like Christmas Cookie quite a bit. I got it as my free sample for picking up a pipe from JM a few months ago.

18. smokey422

smokey422 Member

Big B, you have a great selection picked. I have smoked a lot of Boswell blends and most of those would have been my choices, too. Premium Burley is definitely worth a try, as is Bear Blend. BB was the newest Boswell I tried and I loved it!
    Smokey

19. BigB

BigB Member

Wow, these guy ship fast. Ordered Thursday morning, received my order all the way here in California on Saturday afternoon.

I will report back after I get a chance to smoke them. The wife is making me wait till Christmas eve as they're part of my Christmas gift.

20. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Ooopsie, thought I replied to this thread when I first saw it! Really, it's hard to go wrong with Boswells. I think you have yourself a good assortment there. Their burley is an aro, too, which is interesting in the burley world, but I think a very pleasant smoke. Boswell's Best is definitely a good option for next time 'round, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.