1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Placing my first Boswell's order tomorrow.. Please suggest some blends to try.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BigB, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigB

BigB Member

Haven't been able to smoke as much of these as I would have liked. I came down with a nasty chest cold, but I'm on the mend now.

Everything I've tried so far burns well, doesn't bite, and tastes good without being a goopy mess.

So far I've tried:

Bear blend - good, but I'm not sure yet. Need to give this one more time any maybe try it in a few different pipes. I tried it in a little Stanwell that isn't my best smoker.

Premium burley - delicious in a cob. I plan to order more of this. Reminds me of some of my favorite OTC burleys, but better and more flavorful. Glad I ordered this one. Sweet, smooth, maybe a touch of vanilla, and maybe a little whiskey and anise? I'm not very good at identifying individual flavors, but if my old standby Prince Albert was a fast food Cheeseburger, this is the $12 homemade cheeseburger from your favorite bar and grill. The flavors are similar, but this one is just better. To me this is a classic American all day smoke.

Christmas cookie - quite good. I like it. Mild, sweet, with maybe a bit of a subtle cinnamon and/or nutmeg flavor. The wife loved the room note.

Pipers pleasure - yum. I really liked this one. Burned down to the bottom with very little effort, taste and room note were both great. I may have to order more of this as well. I could see this being an everyday smoke.

Northwoods - just finished my first bowl of this in a little Dr. grabow that I use for Latakia blends. Smoother than I expected. Burns surprisingly cool even when pushed. Tastes pretty good. Room note sucks according to my wife. She may send me outside with this one. I don't detect as much complexity as I did with Dunhill's My Mixture. I think I needed to give this one more time and maybe smoke it in a larger pipe.

Dangit, I need more pipes. Lol.

2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Sounds like you're off to a good start! I got a sample of Bear Blend with one of my first few orders. I didn't like it at first, but a few years later I got another sample and really liked it.

3. BigB

BigB Member

Yeah the bear blend is one I want re visit a few times. Sometimes it just takes the right combination of pipe, tobacco, and mood.

4. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

If I had to pick one Boswell blend as a desert island toby, Bear Blend would be it. Glorious stuff. My first bowl or two were so-so but it grew on me enormously. Fantastic flavor and aroma.

K Williams likes this.
  5. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Member

Haven't tried the Bear Blend yet, but I've smoked a bunch of Boswell's Best and it's probably my favorite of the offerings I've tried. Northwoods, in my humble opinion, is a wonderful English blend. It's responsible for me crossing over from aro's exclusively. Now, I'm kind of a lat. head...

K Williams and Dave Dueck like this.
  6. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Bear Blend is a staple in my smoking rotation. I had some jared from last year that I was holding for the cooler weather. Now I wonder why. BB could easily be an all day smoke any time of the year for me. BB, Carter Hall and #5100 meet all my needs.

7. BigB

BigB Member

2nd report on these:

1) Chocolate cream is tasty, tasty stuff. Highly recommended. Leaves the pipe a little bit wet at the bottom but it's good stuff with a fantastic room note. I went outside after smoking a bowl, and when I can bake in it smelled like someone was cooking brownies.

2) I can't put down the premium burley and I've already ordered more of it.:bing:

K Williams and Tony Malerich like this.
  8. BigB

BigB Member

You guys were right about the Bear Blend. I went to friends house yesterday to watch the 49ers game and ended up smoking 3 bowls outside by the fire pit. Really tasty stuff, once I tried it in my Boswell nosewarmer it really smoked great. Everyone loved the smell, and the Latakia really adds a nice interesting flavor in with the mild sweetness.

K Williams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.