Placing my first Boswell's order tomorrow.. Please suggest some blends to try.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BigB, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigB

BigB Member

Haven't been able to smoke as much of these as I would have liked. I came down with a nasty chest cold, but I'm on the mend now.

Everything I've tried so far burns well, doesn't bite, and tastes good without being a goopy mess.

So far I've tried:

Bear blend - good, but I'm not sure yet. Need to give this one more time any maybe try it in a few different pipes. I tried it in a little Stanwell that isn't my best smoker.

Premium burley - delicious in a cob. I plan to order more of this. Reminds me of some of my favorite OTC burleys, but better and more flavorful. Glad I ordered this one. Sweet, smooth, maybe a touch of vanilla, and maybe a little whiskey and anise? I'm not very good at identifying individual flavors, but if my old standby Prince Albert was a fast food Cheeseburger, this is the $12 homemade cheeseburger from your favorite bar and grill. The flavors are similar, but this one is just better. To me this is a classic American all day smoke.

Christmas cookie - quite good. I like it. Mild, sweet, with maybe a bit of a subtle cinnamon and/or nutmeg flavor. The wife loved the room note.

Pipers pleasure - yum. I really liked this one. Burned down to the bottom with very little effort, taste and room note were both great. I may have to order more of this as well. I could see this being an everyday smoke.

Northwoods - just finished my first bowl of this in a little Dr. grabow that I use for Latakia blends. Smoother than I expected. Burns surprisingly cool even when pushed. Tastes pretty good. Room note sucks according to my wife. She may send me outside with this one. I don't detect as much complexity as I did with Dunhill's My Mixture. I think I needed to give this one more time and maybe smoke it in a larger pipe.

Dangit, I need more pipes. Lol.

2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Sounds like you're off to a good start! I got a sample of Bear Blend with one of my first few orders. I didn't like it at first, but a few years later I got another sample and really liked it.

3. BigB

BigB Member

Yeah the bear blend is one I want re visit a few times. Sometimes it just takes the right combination of pipe, tobacco, and mood.

4. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

If I had to pick one Boswell blend as a desert island toby, Bear Blend would be it. Glorious stuff. My first bowl or two were so-so but it grew on me enormously. Fantastic flavor and aroma.

K Williams likes this.
  5. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Member

Haven't tried the Bear Blend yet, but I've smoked a bunch of Boswell's Best and it's probably my favorite of the offerings I've tried. Northwoods, in my humble opinion, is a wonderful English blend. It's responsible for me crossing over from aro's exclusively. Now, I'm kind of a lat. head...

K Williams and Dave Dueck like this.
  6. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Bear Blend is a staple in my smoking rotation. I had some jared from last year that I was holding for the cooler weather. Now I wonder why. BB could easily be an all day smoke any time of the year for me. BB, Carter Hall and #5100 meet all my needs.

7. BigB

BigB Member

2nd report on these:

1) Chocolate cream is tasty, tasty stuff. Highly recommended. Leaves the pipe a little bit wet at the bottom but it's good stuff with a fantastic room note. I went outside after smoking a bowl, and when I can bake in it smelled like someone was cooking brownies.

2) I can't put down the premium burley and I've already ordered more of it.:bing:

K Williams and Tony Malerich like this.
  8. BigB

BigB Member

You guys were right about the Bear Blend. I went to friends house yesterday to watch the 49ers game and ended up smoking 3 bowls outside by the fire pit. Really tasty stuff, once I tried it in my Boswell nosewarmer it really smoked great. Everyone loved the smell, and the Latakia really adds a nice interesting flavor in with the mild sweetness.

K Williams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.