Players pipe tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BigJ, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Does anyone know if players pipe tobacco is available in Canada or just the UK? I grew up smoking players cigs, and always found them to be the best smoke on either side of the boarder. Since im only 30 min away from Windsor, getting some wont be a prob, i just dont want to go on a wild goose chase only to find out i need to cross the atlantic to get some

2. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I got some in a trade with one of our members here from the UK. I got it because I came to the understanding that it is what JRR Tolkien smoked exclusively. I got 2 tins for my trade and I enjoy it very much. Cant say about Canada, but from what I have been reading here about Canadian toby, bring your credit card with a big credit limit.

3. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

I haven't seen Players Pipe Tobacco available anywhere up here, and I think I can safely say I've checked with every possible outlet for pipe tobacco between Victoria and Winnipeg.
    If your buying tobacco in Canada, you can expect to be gouged at the retailer to the tune of 300% plus mark-up (then the additional 10-15% GST/PST); BUT you can get that back after you've returned to the U.S. - you may notice that alot of the larger B&M's actually put a sticker on the tins noting that they are U.S. tax exempt; and droves of signage denoting the same.

4. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Wow! I wonder if all this tobacco tax, etc. will ever generate the same "bootlegging" that happened with alcohol during prohibition. Call it Pipehibition

5. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

Elliot Ness and the "T-Men" are coming! But yeah, the RCMP says that tobacco smuggling in Canada is worth about 10 billion dollars a year (although I always question figures as produced by the government; we all know how sound their statistics are...). The saddest part is, I can cross the line, spend the night in Bellingham and bring back my 4 tins of tobacco all for less than the cost of one tin (or a carton for 1/2 of the cost of that) purchased in Vancouver...and yet, "the man" can't figure out why we have this problem. :doh:

RTOdhner and Jesla like this.
  6. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

7. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

It's like the little ol nun that rode her motorcycle across theMexican/US border everyday with sand in her saddle bags. Every day customs stopped her and rummaged through her saddle bags looking through the sand. Every day they found nothing. This went on for 20 years when finally one day, she told the border agent that she wouldnt be back again as she was too old and was going to retire. The border agent asked her, as a favor after all those years, to tell him what she was smuggling across the border. She replied, "motorcycles".

8. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Oh, trust me Mak, the tobacco smuggling is alive and well. Hundreds of thousands of dollars a day not a stones throw from where I'm siiting.

9. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I am sure. Supply and demand creates unique enterprises.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.