Pleasant Surprise

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by LostDog13, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostDog13

LostDog13 Active Member

Over the last year I picked up a bunch of tobaccos that I was able to try and loved to cellar deep, as well as a bunch of stuff that I hadn't tried but came highly recommended. Some of these have been good, some "meh", and one has been a really pleasant surprise. I know that I've posted it around here elsewhere, but Angler's Dream has become my go to baccy. PSF made me look at this one even though it is only available in the 14oz tub, and eventually got me to take a chance on it. Really glad that I did! Russ did an amazing job with this blend.

Now I'm wondering what truly pleasant surprises have you come across through your journey? I really wasn't expecting much with Angler's Dream, and has impressed me every time I smoke it.

2. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Active Member

I was really surprised at how good some OTCs are. SWR and SWRA are two of my favorite tobaccos now.

Rickpal14 likes this.
  3. Rickpal14

Rickpal14 Member

+1 on being surprised by OTC's. Carter Hall and SWR are my 2 fav OTC's.

colorduke and Calvinandpipe like this.
  4. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Anglers Dream has come to be a new favorite to me as well,It is now right up there with my beloved CH,SWR,H&H,Holiday Excursion,PA and a few others that get burned daily.

jpberg likes this.
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

That's one I've been meaning to try and just haven't gotten around to it. I'll have to get some soon!

6. User3940

User3940 Active Member

...and where might one get some Angler's Dream? You have my attention Sir and I'm ready to give it a try.

7. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Pipes & Cigars,if it's not on backorder.

8. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I have completely given up on P&C, maybe Cigars International will have it. I also want to try Granger. I am quickly finding out that I prefer the OTCs over almost anything else.

KingsTarantula likes this.
  9. LostDog13

LostDog13 Active Member

P&C, but it is on back order. Ready for the move to be complete and their stock rebuilt.

10. Oldredbeard

Oldredbeard Member

I was very pleasantly surprised with Sutliff Private Stock " Mans Best Friend". It's a good mild english with a light Rum flavoring, a very good smoke.

11. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I'm just finishing up a tin of Sutliff Private Stock "Black Swan". Wonderful stuff. This is my first tin of Sutliff, and if all of their blends are this good I am going to become a solid fan of theirs.

12. Oldredbeard

Oldredbeard Member

I have tried 3 others, and been well pleased with them. Maybe not as much as 'Man's Best Friend" , but still pleased with the flavor and quality. For the price I don't think you can beat them.

13. Prof

Prof Member

Your post reminded me that I had a big can of Man's Best Friend, and I had never tried it. This is an old can, but it was an amazingly good smell on opening...smelled to me like whiskey topping, but if it was rum, that's even better. It was a great smoke. Thanks!

14. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

I was pleasantly surprised with Petersons University Flake. I am not an aromatic smoker and when I read the description of it having a plum topping I was leery. After smoking it I really fell in love. The topping is definitely not over the top and the combo of Virginia and Burley go great with it. I was really not expecting to like it but was very pleasantly surprised. I have begun to cellar quite a bit and have a bunch more to go.

15. LostDog13

LostDog13 Active Member

I have a tin which I haven't opened yet. Good to hear this is one on the pleasant surprise list.

16. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I was very surprised by my first bowl of Carter Hall. My expectations were very, very low but I was very, very, wrong. Love at first light, nothing has changed my thinking on that one. Also, CH turned me on to the goodness of burley, OJK is only strengthening my great regard for the humble burley plant. In fact, before CH I had no respect for burley, thinking of it as cigarette filler. Wrong in so many ways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.