Please Name Some of the Stronger Pipe Tobaccos

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ronbruce61, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

Yesterday I had a cigar with my morning coffee(Bolivar Petite Corona).......then another after lunch(Partagas Petit Corona Especiale).Last nite I lit up my pipe with some Frog Morton's Cellar....nothing.After letting the pipe cool down I decided to move inside and try some Peterson's Sunset Breeze...again nothing.

I think I need to find some stronger pipe tobaccos to smoke on CIGAR day.Any suggestions for stronger tobaccos that can be tasted after a couple cigars is appreciated.

Ron

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Old Codger and Snake like this.
  3. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I find Lane Half and Half to have a pretty bold flavor. Not a massive nic hit, but lots of flavor.
    I do notice though, if I smoke it exclusively, by the end of the day, the flavor fades a bit.

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

What Ruff said, along with Tamobaka.

ruffinogold likes this.
  5. ruffinogold

Dear Lord , I tried to put Tamobaka outta my head ... yeah , that stuff is strong . You'll know youre alive for sure

6. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

Peterson 3P's & Irish Flake, GLP Jackknife Plug

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Oops. It's actually Tambolaka.

ruffinogold likes this.
  8. ruffinogold

Oh yeah , Petersons Irish Oak as well . Not super strong but a good Nic hit !

nesta likes this.
  9. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

You can add GH Kendal Kentucky & Dark Flake to this too. Anything with Kentucky Dark fired leaf should have some oomph to it. But none will hit as hard as a good cigar like the ones you mentioned. JMHO

Monkey likes this.
  10. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Rope. It'll put hair on your... everything.

Alan Dye and Capt like this.
  11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Ropes, of course, are generally decently to very strong. I like GH Sweet Coconut Twist, and it's pretty strong.

Okay, I love strong tobacco....but I'll only list the things I have both tried and enjoyed. A few of them are among my favorites....

Samuel Gawith - 1792 Flake
    Petersons - Petersons Perfect Plug/3Ps, Irish Flake, University Flake, Irish Oak (IF is strongest of these, imo followed by Irish Oak, but none are lightweights)
    Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co. - Kendal Dark, Dark Flake, Coconut Twist, Maple Twist, Bosun Cut Plug, Dark Birdseye - of these, Bosun Cut Plug is the least nicotine-y, but still solid
    Dunhill - Night Cap, Royal Yacht
    Cornell & Diehl - Old Joe Krantz, Odessa, Night Train, Haunted Bookshop, Kickin' Chicken (limited edition for PSF, probably won't be made again :()
    G.L. Pease - Jackknife Plug/Jackknife Ready Rubbed
    Condor Long Cut
    Esoterica Tobacciana - Stonehaven
    Butera - Kingfisher - very hard to find, quite possibly out of production permanently

Anyway, not all of these will make my head spin, but then I smoke this type of stuff often. Most of them should satisfy at least as well as a cigar in most cases. If I neglect this type of stuff for a while and just smoke milder stuff and then smoke a bowl of one of these..whew...it can really hit me!

Oh yeah, and I guess Erinmore Flake gets honorable mention as well

Old Codger likes this.
  12. Dogman

Dogman Member

C&D Blockade Runner, and Burley Flake #2. Both put me to sleep on the couch.

13. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Cornell & Diehl Habana Daydream has a nice kick to it. I'm talking flavor here because I cannot gauge nicotine content in any blend. It has a spoonfull of cigar leaf in it but in my opinion it only tastes a little bit like a cigar. It does have that same full flavor effect that I get from cigars though.

When I smoke a cigar there usually is a very satisfying "flavor" that lingers in my mouth for 20 minutes or so afterwards, reminding me that I just smoked a real butt kicker. Hard for me to describe but I get that same effect from Habana Daydream.

14. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I guess I misunderstood the question. I thought the guy was asking about flavor, not nicotine.
    If a buzz is what you desire, just cram a lucky strike in your pipe.

Buckshot likes this.
  15. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

That's what I got from the original post too. Ron wants something he can taste after smoking a few cigars.

16. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

Ummmmmm no thanks.....My post is about flavor.I'm looking for full flavored tobacco,whether it provides a vitamin N kick or not I could care less.

Ron

nesta, Raffxr7 and Buckshot like this.
  17. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I took it to mean you were used to the nicotine after smoking a few cigars. Still, most of my suggestions should work just fine. I'd think some of the more robust latakia mixtures would be good, too. Frog Morton and the likes are pretty low key, mild blends. Something like Margate, Odessa, Odyssey, or even Balkan Sasieni should be a step up from that. You might want to strike Uni Flake and Erinmore Flake from my list though. And add on any number of good Virginia/perique blends. Personally I love McConnell's Scottish Cake

18. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

The aptly named Kicken Chicken should suffice.

19. Dogman

Dogman Member

My bad i was thinking N as well.

20. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

+1 on Tambalaka. It's strong in taste, fragrance and vitamin N.

You might like Virginia Spice. It has some cigar leaf in it and it's fairly strong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.