Plethora of Questions

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Thunderhorse, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thunderhorse

Thunderhorse Member

Ok so I am super new to pipe smoking, picking up my first pipe this afternoon :) and I have a few questions and i appoligize if they are dumb questions lol

Question 1 - Does smoking a pipe end up making you smell like a cigarette smoker? I do not mind the smell of good quality cigars and adore the smell of them before they are lit, that wonderful spicy smell is great, I wish they tasted like that, But i HATE that freaking cigarette smell. I know this probably depends on the tobacco style/blend/brand so are there any to stay away from? Also do you guys have a smoking jacket or something along those lines? does smoking aromatics smell bad after the smoke has gone stale on your body? and are there any tips to keep the smell off you? if not there is always the come into the house and straight into the shower haha the reason I ask is because I know my girlfriend will not be happy if I smell like smoke, smelling like a campfire or pleasent smoke is ok, but cigarette smoke means unhappy girl and unhappy girl means, well you know.

Question 2 - I know there are so so many threads on this but i cant find information on how to pack a 1/3 or 1/4 bowl, Im assuming that you dont follow the 3 pinch proceedure? do you just press it in the bottom? sorry im a little confused on this haha

Question 2 cont - After you can pack whole bowls how do you know how much bacy to put in each layer?

question 3 - If a pipe has a finish in the inside should it be sanded off to expose the briar? or should you just stay away from pipes with such a finish? Im not talking about a pre-carbonated pipe im talking like shiny wood finish like for tables!

Question 4 - Im thinking of starting with PA because it should be pretty cheap and its held in rather high regards it seems, it will also help break in the pipe i purchase. in reference to question 1 is this a good plan? If not suggestions!? I was thinking of getting some peterson sherlock homes as well as i read a thread about it on here and thought it sounded wonderful, for the people who liked it anyway haha I also know the local B&M carries it and im not sure what else they carry as far as better quality tobacco. do you people have any suggestions on ones to try that are more common? I like spicy things and like I said i like the spicy tobacco smell, I also like berries and currents, I am not a huge fan of candy as i dont have a sweet tooth but I really like those little raspberry old fashioned candies. umm I like full bodied things, and my favorite hard alcohol is the 15 year scotch from the balvenie, slight carmel and honey notes, maple wood, so on so forth its just an awesome scotch. Im also a fan of bitter or sour fruits like cranberries, I really like cranberries. Some bitter things just dont taste that bad to me lol

Question 5 - any tips on keeping tobacco fresh? I will probably smoke once a week or once every 2 weeks, who knows though that might turn into more lol but anyway in my current situation that is about all i will be able to do. Can I just put the pouches or tins in my cedar desk drawer? or will they take on the smell of the cedar? its pretty fragrant and I like the smell lol I could put the tobacco in massion jars in the drawer though? I just dont want to buy a 30$ tin and then wreck it because I didnt store it right or have it take on the cedar smell and wreck the blend haha should I keep my pipe in this drawer as well? or is that not a good idea?

Question 6 - how often do you have to puff to keep the pipe burning without getting to hot? Im not quite clear on the whole going slow deal, I understand the sipping though, maybe its just something you learn as you go? I just dont want to start puffing to quick and burn my mouth haha

Question 7 - as i said I dont smoke so im not after a nic hit, I dont think I have ever felt the nicotine in a cigar. Im more after the relaxing ritual of sitting down packing, lighting, relighting and just having a good time, maybe reading, drinking some scotch, playing guitar, fishing who knows where it will lead lol also cleaning sounds pretty good as well. anyway any types or blends to stay away from or if i just pull the smoke into my mouth without snorking or breathing through my nose will I be ok? I know i will get a little nic no matter what but im not to worried about it, im worried about the swimmy headed throwing up feeling. I make my self sick with stress as it is (not on purpose) and smoking something that adds to that neausea isnt on my to do list lol

Question 8 - Any other tips of wisdom from you people, tips, tricks, preferences, tell me! I want to know, my mind is kinda like a sponge it will suck up everything and then dispose of what it finds it already knows or doesnt agree with haha

thanks a lot peoples, I love this site, so informative!! haha

2. user2428

user2428 Active Member

Question 1 - No to the smell. No to the jacket. The aftereffects are usually pleasant for quite some time.

Question 2 - Just cram it in there. Learn to puff slow and maybe angled to the roof of your mouth til you get used to it, so you get no tongue bite, and frequent relights are a must.

Question 2 cont - You get a feel for it, and generally 1/3, 1/3, 1/3, if youre packing it doesnt have to overflow the top and prob shouldnt.

question 3 - From a carver to you: Most good pipes are sanded smooth as a babys butt on the toby chamber...it should appear as a flesh colored briar or similar...however if it has stain in it...it may not hurt you, but it may affect taste, and pre carb for me is a good thing. Others diagree.

Question 4 - Start easy. Get soem OTC's to see if youre gonna keep it up. Carter Hall, PA, Cavendish...stuff like that...and of course our PSF blend coming out will be good in the Chick Magnet blend for a light aro. Others will be along with their tastes shortly...

Question 5 - Mason Jars or Leave them in the tins placed in Zip baggies with water wafers. The toby may absorb the cedar but only if unsealed. The pipe can be stored however IMO.

Question 6 - Ah young GWASHOPPA...pipe zen...its a delicate dance between proper packing, proper tamping and proper lighting, and lighting, and relighting...and sipping...

Question 7 - You need to figure this out for yourself, sorry...different blends do different things, bu tfor me none of what I have tried really make me nauseated except for University Flake (if I dont SLOW DOWN)...others will be along...

Question 8 - hang around here, absorb knowledge and gain the aquisition disorders...

Sorry Im not an old fart, but I got time to kill...and this was quick and dirty, but hope it helps!

IrishRover, Dondi, ol gto and 3 others like this.
  3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Omg! A plethora is right! Question 1 had like 3 other questions within!

I'll take Question 1

No. Pipe tobacco and burnt pipe tobacco smells like pipe tobacco. End of lesson one. Part of this great hobby is the exploring and learning. Learn to load or fill your bowl. Not pack. Packing is a correct term but also misleads newbs to pack too tightly. The top of your pack should be fairly flat across the top or mounded slightly. The feel should be "springy", not hard or firm for this type of fill. Other types of fills will feel firm but have different burn dynamics (as in anti-gravity, palm-fill, Heir Frank, etc.). Powder up some of the leaf to top it all off and guarantee a good start. To whatever level you are filling to, gravity fill works well. Grabbing a pinch and placing it where you want it also works. As with canonballs. Don't grab too much....gotta let that fire aerate!

Basically, you learn by doing.

The choices are yours to make. If you own it, do what makes you feel good, but please, No Videos, ok?;)

Stick around here, a ton of great reads and info here.

Ed
    Puff

4. Thunderhorse

Thunderhorse Member

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the information! my blanks are being filled in already :) and I look forward to other responses!

oh you mean videos like this arent appreciated i mean you only have to watch for 5 mintues before he stops talking about his colonoscopy and starts talking about the irish flake by peterson? oh wait are you allowed to post links to youtube?

5. user2428

user2428 Active Member

Oh! Did I say no to the leather pipe smoking gloves? Those too...

ol gto and IrishRover like this.
  6. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I guess the only thing I can really add is to try and be patient and not to get frustrated. I can tell by your questions that you've picked up a bunch of good information, they were good questions.
    Just sit back and enjoy, relight if you have to, dump out if you want to.
    Enjoy the journey!

jpberg, ol gto and Archer like this.
  7. Puff The Magic

Blends i tried for the first time and hated! But on a revisit i decided to get more! So give a blend a chance...as well as a pipe. Keep your heel dry. Smoke slow and cool. Not hot. If anywhere on that bowl gets too hot to touch to your cheek, facial ok? Not the Gorilla cheek ;) and hold it there for ten seconds, you are burning your bowl and will continue to damage that pipe unless you slow down or just let it go out and relight when cool. Relights are how we smoke if we didn't smack a homerun on first light. Nothing wrong with relights...they do tend to make the leaf sweat more and the pipe hotter.

Ed
    Puff

ol gto and Archer like this.
  8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

This is the first post that ever scared me off. Deep bow to Archer. :appl:

9. Duke

Duke Member

Having ran my eyes over your questions my first decision was to shoot the whole lot up to ‘legal’, and possibly onto R&D. Legal will develop a document requiring your signature thereby indemnifying me from any and all liability resulting from my dispatching of advise. You see the mere breadth of your questions are of staggering proportions. So the only way for me to maintain my physical stamina and lucidity of mind throughout this hefty task is to dispense, from time to time, hyperbole, glancing blows of misinformation and a few out-right lies. Better yet, I just realized how sleepy I am so I’ll point you in the direction of the search engine available here on the Pipe Smokers Forum, where many, many better answers are at your fingertips.

The Big Fil likes this.
  10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I regret to advise this is the one thread in the world where invoking "SEARCH" is not an option. Your penalty is to answer one question more or less correctly. :D (Achtention! Misinformationmachen und lead pipe kopfbeating ist alzo strictly verboten. In this thread only. :) )

See Rule #4 of the Offical Old Fart Sticky: http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/ask-an-old-fart-read-this-before-posting-here.5070/

Archer and ol gto like this.
  11. ol gto

ol gto Member

First and foremost pipe smoking is s l o w and r e l a x e d, don't rush it! Smoking and learning the way of the pipe is a leisure stroll not a 100 yd dash. Answers to your question are great but meaningless unless you slow down and pay attention to what the pipe is saying/doing! We are here to help but only you can develop your relaxing smoke routine.

Archer likes this.
  12. Puff The Magic

Be the fire GrassHoppah!;)

Ed
    Puff

IrishRover and Archer like this.
  13. Jay

Jay Active Member

Thunderhorse, all good info you are getting here. Do yourself a favor and buy a Missouri Meershchaum Corn Cob Pipe, actually buy two or three of them. Some pipe cleaners--not the purple or orange ones at the hobby store--a real pipecleaner for pipes you know. And a Czech tool which has a tamper a scooper and a pick. The drugstore tobaccos in the pouch are a great way to start, not a lot of money, not a huge amount of each and usually stay somewhat fresh, you can stick them in a little mason jar if desired (just remember to label them, trust me). The whole lighting and tamping thing is an acquired skill. Yes, read all you can, watch all the youtube videos you can stomach (stay away from the weirdo beardo ones) and practice your new found desire to smoke a pipe.

Some of your questions will be answered by doing this. We are here to help with the rest.

Remember, smoking a pipe is like playing a piano, sure it looks simple--press the keys in the right combination of notes at the right time and make music right? It does take some practice and all have their own learning curve.

Have fun and enjoy!

Archer and ol gto like this.
  14. Dimm

Dimm Member

I think cigars stink compared to pipe tobacco. A light aromatic is the only kind of smoking I have had people actually aprove of haha.

15. RobRiguez

RobRiguez Member

I'm somewhat new as well as i just started smoking pipes about 2 months ago. I dove into the deep end with buying multiple pipes and tobaccos. it will take me the rest of the year to fully break them all in but im working on it. Without keeping track im probably at about bowl number 50 or 60. My packing has slightly improved but i still get it wrong on occasion. I tend to smoke hot taking a deep draw about every 2-3 breaths. Most would probably say this is incorrect. Who knows. there is no one perfect way

16. ol gto

ol gto Member

If you choose to slow down, sip the pipe you will taste the tobacco, not burn your tongue nor over heat the pipe. Just a suggestion, learning pipe smoking is a seduction, best slow and easy.

Archer likes this.
  17. The Big Fil

The Big Fil Member

Great Thread. What pipe and Toby did you buy in the end?

x

18. Thunderhorse

Thunderhorse Member

Thanks everyone for the replys! Awesome Information here

Ok update time, I ended up getting a cheap S&T pipe from itally, not the chinese S&T brand lol the pipe shop only had those and expensive ones, no cobs... or cheap tobacco either just peterson and blends like that, each tin was 30$ so the choice on price wasnt an option haha I ended up getting an english blend "ashtons Consummate Gentleman", the lady there didnt even smoke anything! so she couldnt tell me anything about the blends, i kinda did eni-meni-mini-moe between the blends containing burly, probably not the best choice to start with but o well. I opened the tin and it had a strong leathery smell (the lat im thinking?) with slight sweetness in the backround, slight roasted nuts so on so forth. So i loaded up my pipe (all the way, i figued it is a cheap pipe ill get a fancy one and break it in the right way when i get the hang of smoking) I lit it, tamped it, lit it again and it went out, I ended up smoking it to the bottom but it took a whole pack of matches and I only got about ten minutes of thick flavorful smoke the rest was thing leather flavored smoke that was much like chewing on a saddle strap that has been on a saddle for 20 years... not so enjoyable haha but that ten minutes of awesome smoke... Freaking awesome! it was near the middle of the bowl. Im thinking that I maybe i didnt pack it tight enough or something the toby was a pretty good moisture so i dont think it was that, just my error haha anyway now that the tin has been open for a couple days its smelling much better than when I opened it and the smokey leathery scent isnt quite so dominating so im looking forward to trying it again, tonight perhaps. any ashtons or perterson brands that are favorites around here? since at the moment its all I can find lol

The Big Fil likes this.
  19. Thunderhorse

Thunderhorse Member

Ahh... I just smoked my second bowl on the third puff my pipe cracked... stupid peice of junk, I guess next time I take a trip to the big city and ill pick up a cob or a better briar. the pipe still works though and the second bowl was much better than the first not so much of a leathery taste to this one

20. Jay

Jay Active Member

keep at it, it will come together for you when you least expect it to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.