Plug recommendations

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BernardLerring, Jul 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

In terms of flavoring, Grousemoor is Grousemoor. The exact same flavor/scent is used on both the plug and the mixture. However, apart from one being a plug and the other a mixture (duh) there is another difference: the base tobacco is different.

Grousemoor Mixture is a bright, yellow, sweet, light bodied Virginia blend. Grousemoor Plug is deep, rich brown, also sweet, pure Virginia but with a heavier, smoother flavor (less bite potential also) and a touch stronger to boot. It's not STRONG per se, but a solid medium compared to the mixture's mild bodied nature. Grousemoor Plug is Kendal Plug with Grousemoor scent/flavoring added. Kendal Plug is unsliced Best Brown Flake, so if you've tried that it should give you a frame of reference. So for a medium bodied, sweet plug, go for Grousemoor if you want that nice citrussy, springtime field and lemongrass taste, or go for Kendal Plug if you want an all natural blend.

I really like the flavor of 1792 Flake, but I don't care much for SG's presentation of flakes. I think I would therefore LOVE their Cob Plug, which is unsliced 1792. I could slice it as thin as I wanted. The Cannon Plug is also supposed to be good, but I haven't tried it.

Basically, I think it's going to be harder to find a plug that's bad than to find one that's great. Much harder. It's an old fashioned presentation, and it's "harder" to work with. There's good reason it's far from the most common presentation. People like to be able to open a pouch and just dig in. So the old plug blends that are still being made are most likely still around because they kick butt in most cases.

2. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

Thanks for the thorough comparison, gives me so much more to consider. I'm certainly tempted by the Grousemoor Plug as I enjoy the Aromatic. Not in any rush to try the Cob Plug at the mo, still waiting for my jar of 1792.

I've steered away from plug thus far for that very reason but I feel it's time to try something a little different, putting the effort into breaking a plug up just right just seems the change from norm I could do with.

Old Codger likes this.
  3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Just get a nice sharp knife and they aren't too hard to deal with. They're firm, but it's not like trying to cut through a rock or anything. I prefer thin cut tobacco, as thin as I can get it. If I had my druthers I'd have most blends shag cut, or an equivalently thin flake. As almost no blends are available that thin, plugs are nice for me.

I would also recommend exploring rope tobaccos....but just as plugs tend to be stronger than other blends, ropes tend to be stronger than plugs. It's obviously not universal on either count, but is often the case. I really like GH Coconut Twist :th1:

BernardLerring likes this.
  4. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Perhaps this recommendation is sadly out of date, but a business trip to London many years ago allowed me to stop by Shervingtons in High Holborn who stocked a large number of plugs such as Warrior, Yachtsman, Erinmore, and Condor War Horse. They were all excellent. The Erinmore was outrageously scented, MUCH more than the flake. But it was dark and had a nice kick to it.

I don't know if these are available in England, but an Irish pipe smoker from County Mayo once sent me a couple of plugs that were incredibly strong and GOOD: Bendigo Cut Plug and Condor XX Bar. If you like an extremely powerful but smooth smoke, it's hard to beat those two. I can easily smoke back-to-back bowls of Condor Long Cut, but as little as a quarter bowl of Condor XX Bar would almost make me pass out. And I'm not joking. Excellent stuff. It has the Condor scent, but it's much more lightly applied.

Old Codger and BernardLerring like this.
  5. BernardLerring

Thanks Mentor, the only one I can find over here is the Warrior Plug. However, I've done a quick internet search on the other three and found Yachtsman an Erinmore on the Peterson website, there's also a Condor Plug. Might checking them out if I can. Had no luck on the Condor XX Bar and the Bendigo though,, will just have to keep searching.

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

The G&H stuff should not be too difficult to find - my local newsagent/general store keeps Dark XX on hand for myself and ( I think ) one other customer, if he ever runs out - he has it back within a couple of days. It comes in a little white plastic sealed pouch - alledgedly 25 grams, but I bought two yesterday and one was 34 grams, the other 36.5 grams, it's fixed price - so quite economical, as the pieces are never less than around 27/28 grams!, the Kendal cutting machines must have a bit of play - after 200yrs.!.;)
    Jacknife is a poor excuse for a plug! - more a 'pressed' tobacco, in the 'Night Train' style.....I could squeese it tighter between the cheeks of my :booty:, and compared to the Lakeland plugs has as much 'body' as a dieting stick insect!. As to the others - most good tobacconists carry some, and people like 'The Black Swan Shoppe' @ Scarborough, Whitby, and Wakefield will get most things for you.
    OT :)

7. BernardLerring

Thanks Ted, I like value for money so the idea of bagging an extra few grams is very tempting. It's amazing they keep them machines running, I guess the added sense of antiquity must bring in the extra sales

Not tried JackKnife but I've seen the thread on here with a photo of it with the growth isn't the most encouraging start. Still, interesting to get two countering opinions on the same tobacco.

Nesta, sorry I missed your last post, had a case of the early morning head mosh. Will see what cut I prefer when I get some, not sure whether to go for something fine or a little more heavily cut like Bosun Cut Plug. As for rope, I tried some Black Bogie once and it was rank, it did give me the finest party trick going though, popping your internal organs back in is quite a sight. I think it might be a while before I venture in that direction again.

Old Codger likes this.
  8. Marc Freeman

Marc Freeman Member

Cannon, Kendal or RB all excellent plugs
    Cannon is the best I have had !

9. TimMcD

TimMcD Member

Does anyone have a reliable source for these plugs? I have been searching for Grousemoor plug and it is practically extinct. Many of the sites have removed it from their active web pages and the out-of-stock pages come up when I include cached pages.

Trying to lay in stores of bulk tobacco is considerably more challenging than I thought; tins aplenty / bulk is scarce.

10. BernardLerring

Mysmokingshop.co.uk has most of not all of the plugs mentioned here, including Grousemoor Plug.

11. TimMcD

TimMcD Member

Unfortunately, they will not ship tobacco to the USA anymore - it was a cruel blow to read that one

12. BernardLerring

Nadgers, sorry about that, seems to be the only site that carries it too. Might be worth a thread on the trade section.

13. FrNick

FrNick Member

I would recommend Warrior plug as a mellow smoke. I recently got some Condor plug from Ireland but was disappointed as it hardly had any casing so was a bit bland.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.