Plug/rope how to pack?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by buckwhite, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckwhite

buckwhite Member

A very generous forum member sent me a couple of tobacco samples, one of which is a plug variety. I'm anxious to try it out but have NO idea how to prepare it for the bowl! Do you unwrap it? Chop it up? What is "rubbing"? Any advice is appreciated, I looked this rope up on tobaccoreviews.com and it sounds like it is right up my alley...if I can figure out how to smoke it!

inkybat and BernardLerring like this.
  2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

It depends on the firmness of the plug, but you can carve a hunk off with a pocket knife or break a chunk off with our finger. Then you can break it up, rub it out or stuff it whole into the bowl. Put some fine scraps on top for easier lighting. Make sure you char the top good before preceding.

Slice coins, like a dime or a little thicker, and either break it up, rub it out, or stack them whole in your pipe. Again, putting some finely rubbed leaf on top and charring it evenly across the top will make things go a lot more smoothly.

They both take a little practice, but are worth he effort. :bing:

3. User3940

User3940 Active Member

If I am correct, rubbing it out means putting the plug or slice in the palm of your hand, and rub it with the thumb of your other hand until it is broken up to the consistancy that you wish. It just basically takes large chuncks and make them easier to load, light, and in some cases enhances the flavor.

inkybat, KingsTarantula and browny like this.
  4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Yep, and you can just roll it in between both palms too. Sometimes works better with a full bowls worth, verses just a thumb. If you are working with a small amount for topping off, thumb & palm work great.

5. Grumpynuts

Grumpynuts Member

Here's an example of plug preparation:

inkybat and KingsTarantula like this.
  6. buckwhite

buckwhite Member

Awesome! Thanks guys! I can't wait to add plug to my repetoire!

inkybat likes this.
  7. Eddie

Eddie Member

Slicing with a cigar cutter works well.

KingsTarantula and BradNTX like this.
  8. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

All the above work. I generally slice bits off with a knife, having a sharp knife helps, though my half blunt one manages to reduce my plugs to something of the consistency of BCP, something a little lumpy and large, but seeing as I love BCP it's no bad thing. The main thing is getting it down to some kind of consistency that can be put in a pipe. Welcome to the world of plugs and I hope you get as much pleasure out of them as I have.

browny likes this.
  9. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

+1
    I cut it up this way.
    Then rub out any
    Bigger bits.

10. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

Morning folks, kicking off with some EMP.

EDIT: Doh!! Wrong thread! Muppet!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.