1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Polished Bowl

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Dutchking22, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Ok, I just want to say that I don't understand why people polish their pipe bowls. In 30 years I want my collection to look used, not pristene, plus what if I get famous, who would believe that my pipe is actually mine. Any thoughts on this?

2. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

While I do not polish, I do wax and buff just to keep a shine. I look at it as I do my cars. Yea they are driven, but I want them to look good doing so.

3. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

I dunno either, I feel like I understand it, but I don't get it. maybe I'm a little rough around the edges myself. my nice pipes I keep looking nice, but I don't keep em pristine, something wrong with a hunting gun without any scratches or dings if ya know what I mean. YMMV

4. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Same here. I don't always have a clean car or a shiny pipe, but I like em just a little bit better when they are. I've heard of some smokers that wear gloves when they smoke to protect the finish of the pipe...

5. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Good Question, But for me a fresh waxed bowl just seems to feel better to the hand..

6. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I'm not a fanatic about it but I do like to polish my pipes occasionally. I've even polished the grunge off the stems so they were shiney. I suppose it's the idea of sticking something in my mouth that doesn't look entirely clean....

7. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

If your worried about your pipe's provenance when you are famous..... I would find a film camera and load it with slide film (I know Kodachrome was archival, but they stopped making that... google archival films, just no digital). Then have someone take pictures of you and your pipes with a current issue of the NYTimes. Bring all that stuff to a lawyer and write up and sign a affidavit stating the pipes are yours, the pictures are authentic etc.... With this procedure, you can then polish your pipes as you wish. See, some problems have easy solutions! :)
    -David

Kiowapipe and SmokeyJoe like this.
  8. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

or, never polish the stems to insure that there'll by enough DNA evidence to collect

9. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Yeah, I don't want a clone.....I know waht happens when they are told to execute Order 66.........

10. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Ooohh, Jedi we are?

11. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

more like mega nerd!

12. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Personally, I LIKE a nice shiny pipe with a clean gloss black stem. I think it's all a matter of taking pride in what has been put in my care...hopefully for the next generation of piper. We don't "own" our pipes....we're just their current caretakers.

13. WillH

WillH Active Member

Dunno! My pipes never taste as good or smoke as well, to me, after a complete scrub and polish. Takes a few smokes to get them back in the groove again. Knives, tools and guns are kept spotless - always. Everything else is well maintained but not pampered by any means. Just like our old '84' pickup we use on the ranch. It's in excellent mechanical shape but the body is really bad. I haven't washed it in years - if ever, I honestly don't remember washing it. A wash is via the rain! It's my ATV, only better! Has a nice heater and it's dry with working wipers!
    [​IMG]
    My Granddaughter thinks I'm horrid because we don't own an ATV - All I hear is, " Gee Grandpa, all my friends have one!" Just try taking 20 t-post, spool of wire, pounder and all other tools down some gully in the rain with cattle getting out. That pickup will do just fine. Give me a pipe that smokes as expected when I want it! I'm not trying to impress the neighbors!:D Most of them smoke funny smelling stuff in little glass thingys....

Will

14. Icepick

Icepick Member

I like to buff my pipes occasionally, but I'm okay with them not shining like brand new. How well they smoke is what's important.

15. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

The only time my pipes are shiny are when they are brand new...once the top gets that char on it, or the sides get a litter dark, I don't bother to take any of that off

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.