Popular Pipe Shapes

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by DGErwin11, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

The POTY discussion got me to thinking.

I wonder if KW based their offer on the billiard because that is the most popular shape and would have the best acceptance.

dBear likes this.
  2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Those high quality Kaywoodies are so good .. it wouldn't matter to me what shape it was ! I'm psyched . However , I do love a billiard , and if that's the shape that would be great ! I'll smoke the heck out of it :ohyh:

3. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I bet that has something to do with it. I think that's something that everyone (straight and bent pipe smokers) can settle on as a good middle ground (in terms of style).

4. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

Mine won't have any heck left in it either.

I wonder if the billiard is the easiest/cheapest to make?

SteveH, dBear and ruffinogold like this.
  5. buistd

buistd Sales Account

The billiard is the most common shape in my modest collection. To me (and I presume many others) this is what a pipe should look like.

p120d16y and jpberg like this.
  6. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I just got my first poker. The 2013 St Pat's Peterson. WOW!!! I love this!

Then when I saw the pic of the KW being a poker, I was ecstatic! Wish the POY could be one but I will be more than happy with whatever.

7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Yes. And Bill has been doing this long enough to know that saying "we'll do whatever shape you come up with" leads to no good at all.
    A billiard is a billiard is a billiard, and KW has made 1.3 gazillion of them.

I just hope that they are reasonably sized, unlike those gargantuan KW POYS.

Old Codger likes this.
  8. DGErwin11

I believe the description says group 4.

9. DGErwin11

Not sure how a KW group size 4 equates to other makers group size 4. I wish theh would just give actual dimensions.

10. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Get outta the box! Tell them to do a Hawkbill.

11. dBear

dBear Active Member

Doug, you should have some insight on this: IS a billiard an easier shape to make than others?

12. DGErwin11

I have never made a real billiard. According to Sas, to do a dead ordinary billiard is tough. The bowl needs to cant forward a couple of degrees and there is a formula to follow to get the stem and bowl in the proper proportions.

Spillproof and dBear like this.
  13. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

I don't know what a true billiard is like but I have my Pete 120 and two more straight ones, but that sure wont stop me from grabbing the KW.
    Yes size in actual dimensions would sure help on a lot of pipes.
    Hope a 4 is larger, I'm too damn big for a pinky pipe :)

p120d16y likes this.
  14. zacROK

zacROK Member

I am really partial to billiards. I currently have 5 pipes in my possession and three of them are billiards that have rusticated finishes. The other two are cobs. I am waiting for three pipes to come in the mail and two of them are also billiards. That just seems to be the shape I'm attracted to.

fogpipe and dBear like this.
  15. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

I think a straight billiard is the least "offensive" shape amongst pipe smokers. You might not love straight billiards, they might not be your favourite shape but you definitely won't dislike them. Everyone likes a billiard. They are not boring, they are unmistakably traditional.

Rodfather, fogpipe, zacROK and 2 others like this.
  16. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

Straight billiards are my favorite shape and a really good one is imo a work of art. The shank and bowl proportions and tilt have to be right. I think some of the old gbd billiard shapes are perfect examples of what a good billiard should look like.

dBear likes this.
  17. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Perhaps DWaugh should do an overlay by brand on his Dunhill spreadsheet in order to compare the interpretations that various pipe manufacturers have of what a Group 4 actually is.

dBear and DGErwin11 like this.
  18. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Straight billiards are all I smoke, there is no tobacco that does not smoke well in a billiard in my opinion... they are always a cool, dry smoke for me...:th1:

p120d16y and buistd like this.
  19. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

The straight billiard, with tapered stem, seems to be the shape most associated with suburban dads from the 1950's-1970's and all the contented stability it entails.

Here's a 2003 comic strip (the delightfully oddball Red Meat) that makes regular use of it as a kind of trope:

[​IMG]

Old Codger, dBear and Thuber88 like this.
  20. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

No. Billiards are very difficult to do right; damn near impossible to do perfectly without a lathe.
    I don't have a lathe, and I've done several. Not one of them was perfect. But I'm getting closer.
    A classic billiard tends to have a bowl height about equal to the shank length (minus stem). If it's taller than the shank is long, it might be a chimney. If the bowl is wider than it is tall, it's a pot. If the shank is too long it's a canadian. Too short it's a nosewarmer. If you shape it wrong it's an apple or a brandy or a tomato or an acorn or just a plain old piece of crap. If you cant the bowl too much it's a Cutty or a Zulu or a Yachtsman. If you cut too much off bottom you got a sitter. You see where I'm going with this. It's not easy to do that thing you think is easy.

Quick Example: You've seen the Mona Lisa a 1000 times. But can you copy it by hand?

Group Size 4's are around 2 cm's wide, and somewhere between 3.5 and 5 cm deep (just going off the half dozen I've measured recently).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.