1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Possible solution to split MM Freehand shanks

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WyoBob, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I "banded" my MM Freehand this morning to prevent possible splitting of the shank. I used 6/0 black fly tying thread and coated the bands with clear nail polish when I was done. Kind of a pain and doesn't look as good as a metal band but ya gotta work with what you've got. I found out my hands don't work as well as they did the last time I tied flies :(

WyoBob

[​IMG]

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I think it looks way cool!

3. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

I like that better than a metal band. Metal would look out of place. I like the twin wraps.

4. Santa

Santa Member

That get's the Santa seal of approval. :thumbsu:

Santa think's he's very lucky to have legions of elves with small hands to tie his flies, they do some great midges :thumb:

5. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I really like that. I haven't even smoked my freehand in fear of breaking it. This looks wonderful.

6. erickghint

erickghint Member

I don't know what you're talking about, man. I think it looks friggin great.

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Looks good! (Do you also make split cane fly rods? Just wonderin'). Definitely a more elegant solution to a common problem.

8. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I gave it a thought at one time. I decided I'd rather build and fly airplanes. I don't do that any more since loosing my medical and I'd rather fish than build rods.

A good bamboo rod is a beautiful thing but there's lots of man hours in building one. I have a couple "boos" but, while beautiful to look at, I don't like casting them as they're heavy and too slow for my casting style.

And thanks everyone for the compliments. Maybe I have a career ahead of me as a "shank wrapper". :eek:hyeah:

WyoBob

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You said it...shank wrapper. :eek:hyeah: Still...your ingenuity speaks loudly...If I buy a 'regular' MM Freehand, I'll be looking at my fly kit to 'pre-emptively' repair the shank. Definitely elegant!

10. telltime

telltime Active Member

I agree with Grammaton. To me it looks better than a metal band would. Dresses it up without being too fancy.

11. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Great job WyoB!

You'll know how well it fares over time. I've got some "split-keyrings" from ACE Hardware that are on a "new shank" but not on a pipe yet. Gotta break the pipe down to slide the ring up onto the shank. So, for me, it's the lowly "zip tie". Or, I'm using wormz & hookz where WyoBob is using a flyrod! Yep, we be fishin'!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

12. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Bob's idea is absolutely brilliant! I'd wondered if this type of thing would work but I'd never thought of using two rings - I think it looks really fantastic - will try it when next back home.

Many thanks for posting

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.