1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Postman brought........a log!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Old Ted, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I've always been fond of cherrywoods, since buying my first one as a thirteen year old - for three shillings and sixpence! LOL. Now I have a couple of old Ropp cherries that smoke as sweetly as anything on my rack, so I could not resist bidding for this one - and won it for UK £4 plus shipping!. It's a big 'un - over two inches outside diameter, and should smoke coooool!.....hopefully - it will be my 'sittin-on-my-ass-relaxin' pipe! :eek:hyeah[​IMG]

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Good Lord, OT! Don't think you could
    do anything BUT sit on your arse while
    smoking that behemoth! Smoke it in
    good health anyway. :thumb:

dp

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I love interesting pipes, and that one definitely fits the bill! Was it a local pipe maker, an antique or what? It looks unsmoked?

Here's to many years of happy smoking :cheers:

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I think it is fairly old, but has not been smoked - most of these pipes were made in France, Ropp was the biggest and IMO the best maker, they were stamped on the underside of the bowl, but this one has no markings.

5. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

What a great looking pipe! I've never seen anything quite like it. I like how the texture echoes the look of the plug in the pic. Very cool.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Cool ! Looks to be in stellar shape !!!

7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Yes, I think it had been in storage a few years - a vigorous session on the buffing wheels, and some wax brought it round nicely!.
    OT

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Yes I saw that one too and considered bidding on it - glad I didn't and gladder i'ts found a good home. I have very happy memories of the Ropp Cherrywood and the flavour it brought to every tobacco I smoked in it back in the 70s - wish you every happiness with the pipe Ted,

Happy smoking!

Gerry

9. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Wow that Ropp looks excellent, OT! Definitely a man's pipe that one! Those Ropp cherry woods can be hard to find, and when they do show up, finding one at an affordable price can be even more difficult. Nice score!

10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I must say - I'm a bit miffed there were no remarks about my posh 'Harrods' 'Old Ted' pipe rest! :thumbsd: ;)
    OT

11. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

My apologies, OT, that pipe stand is the apogee of class and distinction...

just "bear-ly". ;)

12. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

When I ask Santa for Christmas presents, this is tops on the list

13. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

After blatantly showing-off this latest high cost aquisition, I shall sing the praise of cherrywood a bit more - as it does not get mentioned too much around here. Pictured (hopefully!) is my go-to cherry that has been a companion for around forty years, and withstood the rigours of machine shop life. A lot smaller than the new one - it has had Lord knows how many pounds of flake and twist ( and a few slivers of hot steel 'swarf'!) through it!, and still smokes cool and sweet. I often see new cherrywood pipes advertised, but would be reluctant to buy - as I've had two or three that the bowl interior has cracked, just above the stem entry hole, probably due to un-seasoned wood.
    Anyone contemplating a cherry would be well advised to look out for a 'Ropp' estate - in good, or unused order, I believe they ceased production in the mid nineties, and will be of well matured wood. Much as I like the smoke from a cob, a cherry seems to impart a unique addition - especially to my prefered straight VA's...I love 'em!
    Cheers,OT][​IMG]

14. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I have several cherries that need stems..... other than that they are great smokes and I would recommend one as either a starter or an addition!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.