POY 2013 Break-in/First Smoke

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Coastal Bend, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

While we're watching the progress of the creation of our POY I'm thinking there is a lot of thought going on about where to have that first smoke and just which tobacco to use for the "christening."

For me, if it is a calm day I might pack up and take the short ride to the beach and sit and listen to the ocean while smoking that first bowl. My tobacco will likely be McClelland 5125 or Dunhill MM 965. There's still time to think about it -- and maybe change my mind. :bing:

How about you? Giving any thought to the tobacco and place for the first smoke your new POY?

dwaugh and Pfeifenraucher like this.
  2. bosun

bosun Active Member

I'm thinking of popping open a 14 ounce tub of 25 year old plus Half & Half!

gentimmy and Coastal Bend like this.
  3. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I am torn. I dont know if I should dedicate it to English/lats, virginias and burleys or aromatics.

Decisions, decisions......

Coastal Bend likes this.
  4. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Will the POY have a "natural" bowl, or be carbon coated? If its natural, I'll put some honey in it, and start with some good ol' PA. If its carboned, I'll skip the honey, and go ahead with the PA...

Coastal Bend likes this.
  5. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Interesting question. I suppose watching our pipes being made on "Reality YouTube" the answer may be revealed before they are shipped. :)

6. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Where? Probably the Florida Room.
    Which tobacco? I'll break it in as I have done with all of my pipes - CH or SWR.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  7. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I was thinking of the Kickin Chicken for the first smoke but then realized I still have one unopened tin of 30 year old Dark Twist left.
    And then I was thinking Carter Hall, or 4 yr old Escudo. Chocolate Flake crossed my mind too. Or Dunhill Flake.......

Maybe I'll just close my eyes and blindly reach for a jar of tobacco and smoke that.

gentimmy, dBear, bubbagump and 3 others like this.
  8. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Probably going with Kickin' Chicken. Likely gonna be down in the basement surrounded by empty beer cans.

Rodfather, dwaugh, dBear and 3 others like this.
  9. furious

furious Junque collector

I think this one is gonna be for straight Virginia. I have way too many dedicated to Englishes as it is! Probably some well rubbed out FVF or maybe McCranie's.

Mount Mandolin and Coastal Bend like this.
  10. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

Taxes came in today and I'm putting in an order at 4 noggins, good chance it'll be one of the 5 or so English blends I'm getting or an OTC that I have kicking around. We have time to organize, maybe we should make an event out of it.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  11. dBear

dBear Active Member

It'll be whatever tobacco I'm in the mood for when the box comes in from the mail - 'cause I sure ain't gonna wait around to fire that thing up!

Jeff10236, dwaugh, MikeyJ and 3 others like this.
  12. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

Guessing at the moment I will be in my father's old recliner with some McClellands #22 or Caramel. Or it could be outside mowing the yard or weeding the garden. :msty:

Coastal Bend likes this.
  13. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Let me ponder on choice of tobacco while I let loose a rant.

What Bill is making for us is just basically a good old fashioned pipe with no gimmicks. Carbon coated bowls are a gimmick. Ergo, natural bowl.. My inner curmudgeon feels better now.

Through pondering. I'll christen it with Carter Hall while sitting on my back porch with a glass of sweet tea.

14. krusty

krusty Active Member

Escudo or G&H BB#2.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  15. mongo

mongo Active Member

Bowls 1 thru 10 or so, will likely be a burley blend from Bull and Bear, called Bear's choice. This is quickly becoming my favorite smoke. I figure it oughta be well on it's way to being broken in by then, and might try something else. Who knows.... maybe I'll find something I like better at the upcoming Chicago pipe show.

dBear, Summit and Coastal Bend like this.
  16. MDaws79

MDaws79 Member

I will probably try and wait to smoke mine until I am with my brother LuckyDuck. That will probably be on a Saturday night. The first bowl will probably be a 50/50 mix of Bob's Chocolate Flake/ Nightcap. (MD mix). If it comes on a Monday though, it may be hard to wait until Saturday to light it up.

dBear and Coastal Bend like this.
  17. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Not sure. Probably Kickin' Chicken though (if I get my group buy order in by that point). If not...Kajun Kake.

SouthBound likes this.
  18. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Member

Kaywoodie. A classic American company. Carter Hall. A classic American pipe tobacco.

19. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I'm leaning towards KC myself. I still have a little left, but I think the rest will be in our hands before this pipe is.

Snookman and bubbagump like this.
  20. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Cool. From the sounds of it (your last update)...they'll have the KC out within a week. I would imagine that we've got at least another 3-4 weeks to wait on the pipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.