Precarbonized Bowl

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by 50rayj, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 50rayj

50rayj Active Member

Is there any effective way to remove the carbon that is painted on the inside of some new pipes? I prefer my pipes to nonprecarbonized if I have a choice. I think that black paint is worthless as far as breaking is concerned.

2. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

I have a couple Petersons, Nordings, and Savinellis that came from the shop pre-coated like that. I dont know about removing it, because its pretty close to the wood so you could run the chance of gouging the wood which wouldnt be good. I have smoked my pipes right after buying with the pre-coating and doesnt hinder the taste or the cake. In fact my Peterson and Nording are forming a nice cake even with the pre-coating. Although its your pipe, so have at it! :byg:

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Fine grit sandpaper should do it.

4. Mbalta

Mbalta Member

Only some of my Petes and 2 Stanwell's came with pre-carbonized bowls. The only thing I notice is that while breaking in you'll get some strange "woodsy-sour" flavor coming out of it instead of get all the tobacco flavor. After a couple smokes they start building up a nice cake.

5. 50rayj

50rayj Active Member

It's no big deal really but I just prefer the bowl to be left natural. Most of my better pipes came natural. Most cheap pipes seem to come precarbonized. I just bought a new Molina on eBay that is precarbonized and I was wondering if it would be practical to try to remove it. I might try the sand paper or just leave it alone and smoke it as is.

6. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

You could try fine sandpaper, but I'd probably try to remove it by burning it off ;)
    Just seems safer to me. I'd generally prefer bare briar to the black stuff, but the black stuff doesn't seem to hurt anything.

CalPiper likes this.
  7. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

Are you sure it is painted on? Dr. Grabows and others are pre-smoked by a Rube Goldberg contraption. The machine actually smokes several bowls of tobacco in the pipe. Neato.

I am an incorrigible do-it-yourselfer and tweakist, but I would not remove the coating. Without it the pipe is just going to taste bad until the coating is replaced. Scorched briar tastes nasty.

8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Dr. Grabow pipes are pre-carbonized nowadays and smoke great right out of the blister pack, if you do decide to remove the coating be careful you do not damage the rim of your pipe while sanding. :)

yinyang likes this.
  9. yinyang

I believe all Grabows are no longer subjected to pre smoking.

10. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

Why do you believe that?

11. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Dr. Grabow pipes haven't been pre-smoked since before Lane Ltd. bought and sold them according to the D. Grabow Collector's Forum and many members there are retired Dr. Grabow employees.

yinyang likes this.
  12. yinyang

This sounds more convincing than my own answer of 'I thought I read it somewheres'.

13. dhintonca

dhintonca Member

It seems to me that the presence of a coating would hide the briar taste from the smoker. By the time there's even. Couple of bowls smoked the cake will have started to build and if the briar is bad it won't be so noticeable. It's a good theory, anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I like both precarboned and natural. I will say the precarboned pipes I have formed a very even cake very easily and quickly. None of them were cheap either- 2 Neerups, 1 Peterson Christmas, 1 Apelt.

ProvokeMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.