Presbyterian Mixture

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dwaugh, Jul 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I hadn't had Presbyterian Mixture in a year or so, but had some again last night (I'm finishing that bowl now). This is only my 2nd tin, but I really like it. I wish I was better at describing pipe tobacco flavors and could say something useful about it. But, if you haven't tried some, you should. I think Arkie likes it too, maybe he can explain what's going on with it.

Glenn, dBear, WrightwoodJohn and 4 others like this.
  2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

It's yummy.

It used to be a little heavier, a little thicker. It's sort of a tangy/sweet oriental right now.

Glenn, dBear, Old Codger and 2 others like this.
  3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

It's a great blend, and while it may not be what it once was (I wouldn't know) it is still fantastic. It's a classic, and has plenty of tradition behind it.

I don't smoke much in the way of "English" blends, but it's a great one. It has been crossing my mind a lot lately...I bet I'll smoke some before long.

4. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

Another one I've been curious about. This is readily available in the UK, I've been close to caving a couple of times but something always just pips it to the post!

YAPPG likes this.
  5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Later came sooner than expected. Great blend! A little age has only done it some good, surely! :puffy:

dBear and dwaugh like this.
  6. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I've heard alot of positive's on it !

dwaugh likes this.
  7. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Help me out. Who makes it?

8. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=P&TID=1206
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/Presbyterian/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=238
    http://www.4noggins.com/presbyterian-presbyterian-mixture-50-g.aspx

As far as I know, it is only available in 50g tins.

I know some people think it doesn't have Latakia in it, but to me it's definitely there. It's certainly more "oriental forward" than other Latakia blends, but the Latakia is there if you look for it.

psquared, Summit and dwaugh like this.
  9. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I got a tin when I first took up the pipe. I remember thinking it was an OK smoke, but I wound up trading off better than half the tin. Maybe I'll give it another go on my next order.

dwaugh likes this.
  10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

One of my favorites. A really pleasant and light "English" blend. Oriental forward and a little on the sweet side, but very nice if you're in the mood for something cheery and uncomplicated. I've got four tins of it in the cellar, and wouldn't mind a few more. Good stuff, very good stuff indeed. As a Presbyterian, I really like the name Presbyterian Mixture and thank gawd they didn't go with a name like Frozen Chosen Mixture.

Calvinandpipe likes this.
  11. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I liked it when I first found it but tired of it very quickly. A bit too light for my tastes. Likewise Squadron Leader, which I put in a similar class. I just lose interest after a bowl or two and smoke it only when it's the last thing I have. I under stand the popularity of both blends but it isn't for me at, all.

dwaugh likes this.
  12. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

If you can - try 'Punchbowle', it's in the same style - but a bit more 'full bodied'......I've smoked it periodically for over forty years:)
    OT

dwaugh likes this.
  13. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

That's an interesting observation. I have to admit, I only smoke, on average, one bowl a night. But I have lots of blends in mason jars, so I hope around all over the place. I like the hoping around, but sometimes I think it keeps from really getting to know a blend. There are a few blends I feel like I could smoke all the time, but I have no idea if Presbyterian Mixture is one of them. My sudden glee was from pulling a jar out from the back and having two bowls.

14. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I would not criticize another man's joy or happy surprises. I was just disappointed by PB and the thirty five bucks I paid for it in Canada. I heard so many recommendations for SL I was certainly expecting something else. Having lost my expectations I still never really liked it after the first couple of bowls. Yea though I had to try hard to like them as I had nothing else at the time.
    There is a smell, it brings to mind the shoe polish I used in the Air force, that I get from a tin of PB which I also get from Ten Russians. But the Ruskies are a hard favourite and smoldering in my Pete as I type this. In the PB it was a bit of a turn off. I was a lousy airman.

psquared, Old Codger and dwaugh like this.
  15. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Is Punchbowle available in the States? The last tin I saw of it was in my cellar 4 years ago. Haven't seen any around here since.

16. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

I'm adding Punchbowle to my list for my trip to London.

Presbyterian Mixture, however, is one of my favorite English/Oriental blends. In the winter I pretty much rotate between this, Red Raparree, and H & H's Larry's Blend.

dwaugh likes this.
  17. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

Any of y'all who don't want any of your PM; PM me ;) I guess I'm supposed to like it; since I'm Presbyterian. lol

I love the stuff!

Calvinandpipe and dwaugh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.