1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pretty awesome Peterson deal...I think

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Moonrover333, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moonrover333

Moonrover333 Member

So I was cruisin ebay this week and stumbled on an older peterson system xl307. I've never owned one but do really like Petes'. So I watched it for a few days and got it for $27 shipped.WOOT.
    So I got it today and it pretty dirty but in relatively good shape. This will be my first "restoration" any pointers on how to polish the nickel band, what to use to clean outside of bowl, and clean up stem? I don't mind the bite marks (though whoever it was was an angry clencher) sadly I'm in an apt and don't have access to buffer amd cool things like that. Any help is much appreciated. Also did I get a good deal or get hosed?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

dBear, Mington, Calidadd and 4 others like this.
  2. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

Looks like an easy clean up. Score!:thu2:

3. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Congrats. Looks in good ship and should clean up real nice. Enjoy.

4. User3940

User3940 Active Member

dBear and WalkinStick like this.
  5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

nice find.. for starters I would soak the stem in oxyclean. I would clean the exterior wood with Murphy's Oil soap. then as suggested micro-mesh the outside of the stem. I would use a 12ga shotgun bush to clean up the bowl. once everything is shined and clean. Then I would use some liquid Turtle Wax ICE and buff up a nice shine on wood and stem. (won't leave white residue on rust/blast finishes. as a final touch I would get a rubber stem bit and cut the fat part off and slide it right up p-lip.

dBear likes this.
  6. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Good score, man!

7. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

That is a nice pipe. There are some really good write-ups in the Pipe Making subforums about how to clean up the stem and do the salt/alcohol treatment of the bowl. I think you stole that. :D

8. jshogan2

jshogan2 Sales Account

Very nice pipe! I can't wait to see that beauty all cleaned up :).

9. Explorer352

Explorer352 Active Member

Duuuuude! I'm super happy for your score and also quite a bit jealous, I don't mind saying! A month ago I was surfin the 'bay, satisfying my PAD and I spent a LOT of time searching for/watching Pete's. Never found one that was within budget. Congrats

Moonrover333 likes this.
  10. Moonrover333

Moonrover333 Member

Well that was easy. Im sure I did the worst possible things known to man but I'm happy with it!
    It got a scrub with just a damp nylon brush on outside of bowl. The stem got the oxyclean treatment and a mr.clean magic eraser. The collar got a bit o neverdull. Then I used some mothers carnuba wax (its what I had) and tada. The only casualty was the P on the stem the oxyclean got it....oh well not bad for a newb

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

mecompco and dBear like this.
  11. Terry292

Terry292 Member

If you dab a little petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on the markings on the stem before the soak, you can usually keep it fairly intact. Also, plain cigar ash is good for polishing silver and nickel fittings on your pipes. Looks like you did a good joy, though. Congratulations on a nice score.

12. Moonrover333

Moonrover333 Member

For some reason the shine on the collar isn't comming thru on my cell phone pic. But its like a bramd new nickel

13. Moonrover333

Moonrover333 Member

I did find those spots on the briar under the dirt. So its def not a 10/10 pipe but for under $30 I think its awesone

14. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Looks good, great deal for $27.... I wish my Peterson's had only cost me $27 lol

Smarty Jones likes this.
  15. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

Great job!!! I've got one just like this at home, in need of some serious TLC itself! :P

16. Moonrover333

Moonrover333 Member

Just smoked for first time. Opened up s fresh tin of holiday spirit. I wanted to try a damp toby snd see how it did.....AMAZING. probably the best pipe I own. Such a cool dry smoke . And this narrow plip is soo comfy. I'm stoked

Monkeyshine likes this.
  17. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

Glad you enjoyed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.