Price differences between countries

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by browny, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. browny

browny Member

I've been researching many things and with tobacco of all forms and also pipes themselves it seems the odd country is being ripped quite largely.

Being from Australia it's an easy compare for me to use, average cost of 50g pipe tobacco is $42-$50 and yet I can order from some USA or UK based sites and then have it mailed to my address of choice and it would cost me less than if bought from a local b&m. I know it is to do with local taxes etc etc but why would I buy local if I can order it cheaper online then delivered with a substantial saving. I could have 2 of my favourite tobacco's for less than the price of 1 easily with some sites regular sales.

I know buying local is the best way to help local jobs but these types of situations make it so much harder with every year each dollar is meaning less and yet having to go further.....

I'm not getting into pipe prices....ending rant now.

2. esteban

esteban Active Member

browny, I see your conundrum.....wanting to support your locality yet delicious savings ordering online. Well,at those prices who can blame you for not buying local. The future probably will horrify all pipe smokers. Time to start growin home crops, if that is feasible. Is it summer there down under?

browny likes this.
  3. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

We have the same issue here in Canada.

4. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Hell, I have the same issue here in Florida and we are not by far the highest taxed of the States.

5. Tate

Tate Member

Its for your own good, citizen. We know best.

/sarcasm

6. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I would grow my own tobacco but I doubt I could suitably cure and blend it. I admit to having become jaded from countless tins of exquisite leaf and it would be tough to resort to crude home grown stuff. However, if the control freaks in our beloved gubment's bureaucracy get any worse....

browny and esteban like this.
  7. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Cellar, cellar, cellar, cellar.....

ruffinogold and esteban like this.
  8. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Yeah, I know. However, everytime my wife sees a shipment of tobacco arrive she shoots a look at me that could etch diamonds.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  9. Tate

Tate Member

If you spent as much on diamonds as you did tobacco her look would soften.

CaKy, Old Codger, Raffxr7 and 2 others like this.
  10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Commie Governments are to blame . It used to be the Nazis ... but , though war doesnt solve anything .. it sure puts and end to things

11. esteban

esteban Active Member

Thanx for the reminder to cellar...enough pipes, they are useless without the baccy. New goal....100 lbs of tobacco in the cellar. Yes citizens, the red guard will decide what you can partake of.

12. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Yeah, I do have have to buy her something as a peace offering after ordering tobacco. It usually isn't anything quite as expensive as diamonds but I do spend as much money on her as I did the tobacco. With that policy in place, my tobacco costs me double what it cost you guys.

13. Tate

Tate Member

Arkie, you're all out of whack brother. Spend the money on her FIRST, then get the tobacco.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  14. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

:shead:

15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Isnt it enough that we make love to them :beck:

Old Codger likes this.
  16. Siv

Siv Flame+Wood=Bad Idea

There are three potential issues that may cause the disparity:
    1. higher prices because of tax
    2. higher prices because the merchant can or has to
    3. lower prices on imports because taxes/duties are dodged
    1, I'm sure the government enjoys the tax revenues from tobacco and they will continue to increase them. While the increase in tax will drive some to stop smoking, the increase probably offsets this. I know many cigarette smokers who have switched to rollies or pipes due to the very high prices.

2, Your local retailer may have to sell at higher prices because the rent is higher, the wages are higher or maybe they just don't have the economies of scale that a US retailer has. I am living this right now - I moved from the US which is a country of 300 million and huge amounts of economies of scale on minority items like pipe tobacco to the Caribbean where on an island of 1 million the local tobacconist only imports one blend (yes, that's right, one) of pipe tobacco at a silly price.

3, This is illegal.

Old Codger likes this.
  17. Longbottom

Longbottom Member

Hmm... I realize I live in a great country for pipe smoking. Here in Czech Republic a 50g pouch usually goes for around 200 czk, that is about 7,50 Euro or 10 USD. On the other hand, salaries are lower too over here... :-(

18. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I try to explain to her how fortunate she is to have me. I tell her her that even though thousands of women crave me she has exclusive rights to me, etc but she ain't convinced.

Old Codger, ruffinogold and dwaugh like this.
  19. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Ruff and Arkie seem to be heading for a few nights on the couch.:rolleyes:

browny, Old Codger and Raffxr7 like this.
  20. Linus

Linus Member

After moving from sweden to denmark i now say pipetobacco are cheap, otc's goes for 12-13usd for 40gram (about 1,5oz) while the swedish price is more like 25-30usd for the same blends.
    With that said, i do miss some things here, like, amerecan blends :( i'd gladly pay 20 or even 25 usd for 2oz of GL Pease, Haddo's delight, but nono, they just dont excist here. I have a plan on ordering from overseas, possibly try to make someone try to cleverly disguise the tin as something else, on top of the tax and vat the freaking postoffice knicks 32 bucks as a fee for taking in the vat and tax charges, sick, is'nt it, but IF the package is worth less than 14-15 dollars, or of course contains tobacco, they dont charge a nickel :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.