Prince Albert Tub: Cellarworthy?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Kiowapipe, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

First off, this isn't a topic about whether Prince Albert is good enough to want to stash a bunch (I think it is) or about whether Prince Albert will improve with age (conventional wisdom is it won't... much). This post is just about how well you folks think the current tubs will hold up over the years. Are they as solid and reliable as a tin? Is the plastic as effective a barrier? Is it realistic to think one could stash a tub and still have smokeable PA in thirty years? Or if one does want to stash a bunch, is it better to just jar it?

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Jar it. Glass is gas impermeable, plastic isn't. Eventually it will dry out. I say this without any tub cellaring experiences to directly relate, however.

3. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

The PA tubs I get are also shrink-wrapped, so I think it'd keep pretty well. I seem to remember someone posting a while back that they opened up a 10 year old tub of PA and it tasted almost like new.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I can't comment on PA tubs but I guess Carter Hall's plastic ones are the same and as Brian says they are overwrapped with plastic - about 13 months ago I got a tub of Carter Hall which I stored as it came intending to keep it until the first hints of summer showed here...I've just opened it recently and it's every bit as good as it should be,

Happy smoking

Gerry

5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I've got a tub that's been open for three years, and it's fine. I would guess maybe 10 years would be okay stored in a sealed tub. Could be a helluva lot longer.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Same here. Not PA, but I still have tubs of Walnut, Sugar Barrel and Granger that have been open a very long time (not sealed) and the tobacco is still good. I'd trust those containers for 10. But if anyone is concerned, mason jars should alleviate that.

7. WillH

WillH Active Member

Well, some add a generous dose of Propylene Glycol to their tobacco in an effort to improve the shelf life....Some neophyte will be sifting though our refuse in 2311, find a tub of PA and proudly proclaim, "Still good after 300 years!" [​IMG]

Will

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

I wouldn't expect the plastic tubs to work for storage measured in years. My own experience: Last year I picked up a dusty tub of PA from a local smoke shop. I don't know how long it had been sitting there, but I'm not exaggerating about the dust. The owner couldn't even find a price for it so he quoted me $15, which PA has not sold for in Michigan for years. When I got it home and opened it, the tobacco was one step short of mummified and it bit me like a hundred rabid weasels. OK, one disclaimer -- the shrinkwrap was torn, but still...

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Thanks OldSchool, that's pretty much conclusive as far as I'm concerned.

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I would suspect that the tub, if still properly sealed would last 8-10 years...but I'm a bit of a pessimist...I'd jar it.

11. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Thanks for that bit of info, OldSchool. It never occurred to me to make sure the shrink wrap stays intact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.