1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Probably asked and answered...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by IrvEsters, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrvEsters

IrvEsters Member

I did search the forum but got no hits. I have several older screw-in stemmed pipes (kaywoodie, Dr. Grabow, etc) which when the stem is tight, it is not "lined up" with the bowl - it looks like it needs a half or quarter turn more or less to straighten it out.

How do I fix dat?

2. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I have fixed quite a few of these by heating the stinger/ metal threads on the stem with a cigar torch until you see a small whiff of smoke then gently realigning the stem by using pliers to hold the thread and turning the stem. Just be real careful not to mess up the threads with the pliers and make sure your turning it the right way, and not to get it too hot.

You may want to pad the pliers with a cloth to protect the threads, I never have but I have seen it advised.
    It softens the epoxy holding the metal fitament just enough and should reset as it cools.

Let it cool before you reinstall it.

YAPPG, Jussto and Ksummers99 like this.
  3. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

I had heard on Grabows you can heat the stem, and twist it until it is aligned, but better info will be coming along soon enough

YAPPG and Ksummers99 like this.
  4. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

I can't resist....pipe wrench !!

5. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Tilt your head?:)

Albert, YAPPG, buistd and 2 others like this.
  6. Ksummers99

Ksummers99 Member

:xd:

YAPPG and Jeebs like this.
  7. Dr Dover

Dr Dover Member

I have two that are off to some degree, but not as bad as you wrote. If they are just a little off, I use a little bees wax as a spacer. Not on the threads, but in the gap before I thighen and aline. Then just wipe away the extra.

YAPPG, dBear and Ksummers99 like this.
  8. bosun

bosun Active Member

If it is an Ajustomatic then it is designed to re-align by just turning the stem. Half the time it is so tarred up it won't turn. My non-ajustos and Kaywoodies -- I heat the stinger up with a bic then screw it back into the stummel, stopping when it gets to where it is supposed to be and let it cool. If it doesn't turn easily enough, screw it out and a little more heat - just be careful not to over do it!

YAPPG likes this.
  9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

You can also use those little rings for repairing torn loose leaf paper holes as a shim.

YAPPG and MikeInMaine like this.
  10. lifeon2

lifeon2 Member

Dip the threaded portion in boiling water and hold it there for about 30 seconds. You should be able to screw it into the shank and the glue will be soft enough to rotate the stem all the way around until it is straight. run the whole thing under cold water and make sure it is completely cooled before unscrewing it again. If the grabows say ajustomatic they should turn on their own same with the kaywoodies if they are syncromatic.

Thuber88 and YAPPG like this.
  11. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Very good advice. I had read something similar not long ago about heating the stem and softening up the glue to correct the problem. I have a Pipe by Lee, Prince I need to perform this method on. Maybe I'll try this tomorow morning when I get home.

Thuber88 and YAPPG like this.
  12. Robin

Robin Member

Wow! What a coincidence ! I remembered having an old pipe in my Jeep survival that I stowed in a drawer years ago after I sold my old CJ, I got looking for it last night, and found it! Its a Dr. Grabow Silver Duke , and its stem is off quite a bit, I'll have to try the heat and twist method and see can I get her lined back up. It must have been a good smoking pipe from the looks of it, its been used a lot, I'll have to fire her up and see, I don't remember smoking this pipe its been so long ago. It was a good find anyway!

Thuber88 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.